Too many bots advertising

Half the LFG for mythics are bots advertising websites. I literally have to report 20 of them in order to filter through what I’m actually looking for. I read it was going to be addressed a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed.

4 Likes

Well, if you know a sure fire way to stop people from using these services, I’m sure Blizzard will be all ears.

Just keep reporting, it works.

6 Likes

It’s not my job as the consumer to problem solve for them. I am reporting a wide spread issue and they are the one who have the resources to figure it out.

1 Like

Not sure what you read, but I can assure you that as long as people are silly enough to continue giving these criminals money, that they will do everything in their power to sell their “services*”.

Recently Blizz added that accounts that are created solely for the purpose of advertising would be closed even.

Unfortunately, these people use a lot of stolen accounts and fake account info/fake credit cards to peddle their “services”.

Please do keep reporting them and encourage others to do the same!

*Their services often include stealing player’s accounts and credit card info too…don’t do business with these people.

11 Likes

By your logic, it’s not my job to report a crime when I see it. Many features and solutions that Blizzard uses are mostly from player suggestions and feedback.

7 Likes

What?? When you report a crime, do you also solve the crime? Your comparison is completely illogical. You report a crime to the proper channels so they can solve it, because it is their job.

2 Likes

… which is exactly the same thing you’re doing when you right-click and report for advertising?

I’m not seeing what distinction you’re trying to imagine.

11 Likes

I am saying the the report function isnt working, clearly. It isnt getting any better and only getting worse as the weeks go on. My objective in creating this threat so Blizzard can see it is so they are aware that “reporting” isnt enough.

And you are clearly wrong. It works. Hang around here long enough, you see players whine they was silenced or banned for advertising.

9 Likes

But now you’re contradicting yourself. It isn’t working, or it isn’t working well enough, which implies that some of it is working.

But it is also a rather new policy that was only implemented back in '18, not quite three years, so there is quite likely a bit of catching up to do. By comparison, the battle against botters has been ongoing for 17 years and continues to be raging in full swing. Reporting does work, but keep in mind that the “enemy” in this case has a limitless supply of “soldiers” to keep throwing at the game.

As long as players keep buying from this criminal enterprise, it will continue to be an issue that we need to wade through and help Blizzard clean up, just like we have to do our part and help local authorities clean up our streets.

8 Likes

Ive been playing on and off since vanilla. I think I have hung around long enough.

well, you are still incorrect with your assumptions.

5 Likes

Blizzard does not ban bots right away, that would give the bot makers a heads up that Blizzard is on to them.

Bots are always banned in mass ban waves in order to break their current programs, they are never banned one at a time, that tactic has never worked.

1 Like

Hope it comes soon

There has been at least 3 ban waves in the past 2 months alone. We get lots of threads here from players stating they have been banned wrongfully, yet their appeals bear no fruit and their penalties are not overturned.

4 Likes

Reporting does work, Sosari - albeit perhaps not immediately.

Nothing would be more satisfying than seeing a lightening bolt descend from the blue to smite them, but it just doesn’t quite work that way I’m afraid.

12 Likes

One bit of good news is that the ones you report are immediately removed from your view of the group list, so it’s like they’re smitten from the heavens, at least for you.

Keep fighting. If you quit, the garbage wins.

5 Likes

Since you have been playing so long, and hanging in these here CS forums(which btw is what Raven meant) then you know these people are part of a HUGE industry. With a mind boggling multitude of compromised accounts to advertise from.

You report, they get actioned. The problem is, they then move on to the next compromised account and get right back at it.

You also know that they are really good at making extremely similar looking names. Perhaps replacing an I with an l. Or a smooth ascii character.

Your reports work. Sadly, the only way to truly stop this is for players to stop giving them money. At least the only way I can see.

4 Likes

Reporting is really easy.

Go to pre-made Dungeons, search for WTS, and report them all. Go to pre-made Raids, search for WTS, report them all. Go to the generic group category, search for WTS (these are all torghast), and report away.

You can do this while on a taxi.

It helps, and it’s easy.

1 Like

I wish someone could make an addon or macro to do that all in one go. Would save a lot of clicking haha.