Today I learned a WoW mount made more money than Starcraft

I recall the mount sold so well that at least one youtuber made a video claiming it was a horse made out of the tears of newbs but… idk… I have no interest in a pony made of stars. Is shocking it made more money than starcraft but WoW has been kind of Blizzard’s flagship for a while so I guess it makes sense

I wonder how much Blizz made in token sales during BfA when people were trying to get the brutosaur mount.

2 Likes

You want to learn to read?

I wasn’t the one that got hard baited by the OP.

do you? we’re not talking a difference of 2 or 3 times we’re talking a difference of over 10 times. Please actually engage 2 brain cells and read instead of mindlessly taking whatever the first guy said as an inarguable core belief.

The dev wasn’t even talking about the whole IP.

1 Like

Why is that relevant? He said “Starcraft 2 wings of liberty” in the video clip. Explain to me how that equates to the whole IP’s monetary gain?

You are one salty little child that stayed up past their bedtime.

1 Like
  1. I doubt this is true. The math doesn’t add up. It’s highly likely that former employee was lying. It wouldn’t be the first time.
  2. The reason is far more likely to be the fact that RTS games fell out of popularity so the ROI isn’t as good. The only Devs still making RTS games are smaller studios catering to a niche market.

The conclusion here is that the ROI on a wow mount is probably higher than the ROI on an entire standalone game. But that doesn’t mean it made more money.

1 Like

What an absolute child to act this way when you get proved wrong.

1 Like

That’s why we have many new mounts while Starcraft collects dust.

1 Like

Well the simple solution would be to add the horse mount into starcraft 2.

3 Likes

Can’t remember the last time I seen anyone riding it.

Some people want something so badly they don’t realize they won’t want it when its no longer impressive.

1 Like

I’m not gonna edit the OP because this has been an entertaining back and forth, but I will say I chose my words poorly, and yes the dev was speaking specifically of the Wings of Liberty expansion.

Regardless, the point of the post was to showcase how powerful microtransactions are, that a horse can make more money than the expansion of a major IP.

I am unsurprised the gaming industry has found itself where it is.

1 Like

I think the overall point is that a single mount is able to generate so much profit.

Why develop an entire game (dlc in this case) when a few pixels can get you pretty close with almost no overhead and no risk?

Even if 1 mount didn’t overtake a Starcraft dlc, the sum of them certainly did.

Again, the dlc, not the entire franchise.

2 Likes

But what if they made a sparkle pony mount in a Starcraft MMO?

2 Likes

There’s not a doubt in my mind that the shop mounts have generated more money than wings of liberty, hell wow by itself even with its dwindling playerbase still crushes the wings of liberty expansion for sheer revenue just by existing year over year but that’s not the point. The point is a disgruntled employee has blatantly lied to inflate the perceived revenue of that microtransaction, and worse than that people believed them.

Personally I’m in the camp that the sparkly horse wouldn’t have sold if wow wasn’t a game people wanted to play anyway. THAT’S where the real value in making things is.

I will take things that aren’t true for 400.

At a particular point in time.

Way more than 12 million people have played WoW since the sparkle pony was added to the game.

Unfortunately, a lot of people just don’t get what the 12 million peak means.

People come, and people go. The 12 million number is the largest number of concurrent subscribers.

But WoW passed 100 million total players way back in 2014. (sparkle pony was added 4 years prior to that)

It’s only gotten higher since then.

3 Likes

I guess I just don’t believe in dunking on people based on 5 min of research.

Who knows, maybe I lack the perspective that you have on this.

5 minutes of research based on OP’s misinformation which is why I corrected it.

I see a few of their post got removed so hopefully they can relax over their vacation because there was no need to start threatening people over something so small like this…

1 Like

Sales doesn’t equal income.

Gross sales (aka revenues)
Minus expenses
Gives you Net income

Extremely feasible for a shop item to eclipse an expansion in todays world when talking about net income. It’s why we see more of them in everything we play (not just wow).

2 Likes