To RDF or not to RDF

Full disclosure here - I am coming back to the game after having left post Cata. I raided through heroic WOTLK 25m content, my guild got a top 100 Arthas kill, we got all achievements for ICC, and again repeated the process through Cata before we grew old, lost interest, and eventually went our own ways.

In addition to my hunter main, I also had a prot pally and resto druid that I would run through the non-heroic 10 mans with pugs. And actually finish them! Crazy, right? If RDF had not been a thing I can guarantee neither of my alts would have ever raided ICC. I would not have put the time nor effort in to run them through normals and then heroics in a “LFG” environment. This was at a time when RDF did 5 mans only. It was phenomenal, it was easy to take a break from the questing grind to pop into a dungeon, then return directly back to where your questing started.

I’ve heard various complaints about RDF, but what they boil down to is the following:

1. “Dungeons shouldn’t be cross realm”
  2. “Instant teleportation takes away from gameplay immersion”
  3. “I never liked RDF, I preferred spending an hour making a party, then 20 minutes making my way to a dungeon across the realm so I could summon my lazy party members and invest 2 hours into running a single instance, not including the time it spent for me to get back to whatever I was originally doing”.

I’d like to address these issues.

1 - “Dungeons shouldn’t be cross-realm”

I believe you are entitled to your opinion, I, personally, do not share it. Cross-realm dungeons were introduced as a solution to stagnated server populations to allow people to participate in content even if their servers had low populations. Why doesn’t Blizzard offer “RP” servers where the population of players can xfer their characters and play with RDF not as an option. I remember the days of non-cross realm PVP in Vanilla, Sometimes I’d be queued for 5+ hours just to get into an Alterac Valley before they were cross-server. To fix this, PVP instance queuing was changed to cross battlegroup, this instantly solved the issue, people got to join the instances, everyone was happy. And yet, Blizzard doesn’t seem to have any intentions of removing cross-realm PvP when they are removing cross-realm RDF - why is that? If your goal is “to make the experience more immersive for players” - why not make them all queue up in Alterac Valley and walk through an instance once the PvP group is made? Why is this unnecessary qualification only reserved for PvE content?

2 - “Instant teleportation takes away from gameplay immersion”
Then don’t do it! Nothing is stopping you from using RDF - you are absolutely free to sign up for the local LFG, truck your butt to the dungeon, and summon your team members. “But there is no one LFG because everyone is using RDF” - Well, there is a reason for that. Again, I would suggest some RP servers without RDF where all of the “I like to run to the instances” masochists can continue with their traditions. How many times would you expect someone to run to southern Tanaris to enter OHF before you feel they’re “fully immersed”? I actually got to see more content with RDF than without - dungeons I would normally skip over in early content, I actually got to see because it was so easy to find a group for them before I out leveled their content.

3 - “I never liked RDF, I preferred spending an hour making a party, then 20 minutes making my way to a dungeon across the realm so I could summon my lazy party members and invest 2 hours into running a single instance, not including the time it spent for me to get back to whatever I was originally doing”.

Again - You do you. Again with the RP servers - you can form a collective of all of the people who want to show their true dedication to lore and immersion by forming a server of like-minded individuals who enjoy excessive flight paths and travel.

I am in my 40s now - I just re-subbed to the game about 3 weeks ago hoping to play through Wrath content again. My hunter is already 70, my druid is now 30, pally is next. I was going to hold off on leveling the druid and the pally until wotlk so I could use RDF and make the experience more enjoyable, alas, apparently that will never happen. I am now seriously debating just unsubbing as I am coming to realize this will not be the same WOTLK I grew to know and love.

Please keep RDF in the game - make some non-RDF servers, make them not-cross realm. You can make everyone happy, you’re just choosing not to based on the voices of the minority, and I can guarantee you it is going to cost you subscriptions as a result. Not all of us enjoy spamming “LFG” in chat, for hours hoping others are also feeling motivated. Or even worse, just being completely ignored because they didn’t feel your gear was good enough to “waste time on”. Your “New player flag” is a joke, i hope you made the flag red because that is all it is going to be used for.

58 Likes

well said OP

10 Likes

Classic has been just fine without a dungeon finder for coming up on 3 years, you will be to live without it.

If you cant play without RDF, then just quit entirely

:slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Behold the socialization and pillar of friendship that the anti-rdf crowd promotes and blizzard nurtures.

29 Likes

I can play without RDF, it would be my choice not to play. I am happy you are enjoying classic without RDF. I, personally, got to experience 3 different parties that never finished forming before giving up completely and logging into an alt last night. So I wasted about 2.5 hours of my time yelling in chat just to accomplish nothing but frustration because we were missing a healer or a tank, and had no ability to find one outside of spamming chat.

If you want to play without RDF, I’m suggesting to Blizzard that they create RP servers so you can hang out with your friends who also dislike RDF in your own little anti-RDF communities. You’ll be happy, and the rest of the general pop PvP/PvE servers will also be happy, everybody wins. Why wouldn’t this be acceptable to you? Why do you feel that everyone else has to suffer at the expense of your opinions?

15 Likes

Why do you feel that we (Anti RDF) should have to suffer at the expense of your opinions?

Very hypocritical if you ask me.

Please, please enlighten me on what this “suffering” would look like.

Because the quiet part they aren’t saying is that they benefit from dungeon gatekeeping and the “muh community” argument is just a smokescreen.

7 Likes

I think this is another good compromise that’s been introduced so far. the OP makes fair points. The Anti-RDF community just want their own space without the noise of retail andies or something from what i’ve been reading on the forums thus far.

3 Likes

Retail WoW is a great example. A queuing simulator where no one plays out in the questing zones, everyone queues from town. You know noone on your server, diminishing the sense of community.

:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s not a great example because Retail WoW is vastly different than WOTLK WoW.

Again, we are talking about DUNGEON FINDER. Not LFR, not cross realm raid groups, merged servers, cross-realm grouping, etc.

11 Likes

How would having your own community of anti-RDF people cause you to “suffer”? Please enlighten me.

2 Likes

Yeah man, being able to find more groups faster and easier in a game built around…ya know…grouping…sounds horrible.

10 Likes

This actually is occurring right now in classic as we speak. new and returning players will join from retail or other games and expect to just find the best way to level with little to no social interaction. better yet… will just pay for a blizzard boost.

This is PVP battlegrounds no?

3 Likes

Shh, don’t point out the complete hypocrisy. They don’t know how to respond. Usually something about apples and oranges.

15 Likes

No matter what, it will not be the same Wrath you played 10 years ago. Everything is different now. You yourself, are different now.

Classic Wrath won’t take you 14 years back in time, sorry to say.

2 Likes

I think that is lost on both sides of this argument. its really interesting.

2 Likes

I’m not looking for a time machine - I’m looking to play a game that I enjoy without feeling like I am wasting hours of time daily trying to find a dungeon as a DPS. Let alone the lower-level dungeons - even harder to find a party. Is that a difficult ask? What benefit do I see by spending hours spamming chat? The social aspect? You mean the PMs I get after an hour of shouting that say “just give up, your party isn’t going to happen”?

6 Likes

No, it seems like you are looking to relieve your experience exactly as it played out 14 years ago. It’s not going to happen. It was never going to happen.

This is the wrong game for you then. Classic means more than just authentic recreation now.

Yeah, considering it opposes the pillars of Classic.

I’m doubtful that this ever happened.

And we can’t say the same thing back? We are the ones actually suffering we know you nerds quit phase 1 while we are stuck with your bad LFG all expansion

6 Likes

This is a valid point of contention and probably why pro-RDF players want RDF. I’m thinking RDF will probably be added as a “we heard you loud and clear” moment during Phase 2-3 or something.

2 Likes