To level alchemy or not

Thinking of leveling alchemy on my druid, wondering if it is even worth it at this point.

When it comes to money making I have a mage that keeps a nice revenue stream. I also have herb on the druid but I dont see myself dumping hours into farming herbs maybe just the few I come across every now and again.

Realistically I would be sniping herbs off the ah and trying to craft things to flip for a profit or at the very least save me some gold for potions and things for my alts.

Worth it? Is it even profitable if you aren’t farming your own herbs?

Useful for tbc if you care to plan that far ahead

I keep an alchemist in my army of alts.

I’m not sure about the money making prospect of it, as I haven’t tried selling anything yet, but I find it incredibly useful to have potions handy for pvp and levelling alongside bandages, definitely a useful profession.

1 Like

Definitely a great way to make gold as consumables are in such demand; problem is you will have a lot of competition for the herbs or have a small profit from your potions by buying the herbs on the AH.

If it wont be profitable will it at least save me some gold on my alts so they wont have to buy the potions from ah?

1 Like

Yeah, I carry between 5-10 healing potions on me at all times, only thing I need to buy is the vials from vendor, I’m on Deviate though so I’m not sure how competition for herbs on your server is, I personally find tons of them.

Oh and don’t forget at high levels of alchemy you can transmute arcanite bars once a day, usually a 5g tip for minimal effort.

Alchemy is not worth it without herb, like an herbing alt. If you can only have one I would say herb > alch.

Alchemy is easily the best profession, especially as the game progresses. People will always need consumables.

Herbalism is probably the only real contender, so having both on at least once character is very smart. =)

Get 5 or so alts to level 35 plus and roll alchemy on all of them, trust me, come TBC and WOTLK you’ll be able to just shuffle ore and use the transmutes every day for passive gold. In cata I had miners COD’ing me so much ore I had to just click a prospect macro for hours and sell the raw JC mats rather than cut into gems or transmute them because there was SO much ore in my mailbox I couldnt afford it by going for the most profit, I just went for quick profit. I litterally clicked one button for hours straight and made gold it was insane.

It’s good money for classes that aren’t mage. If you’re already mage farming, it’s less time efficient.

Alchemy in Classic is a good profession for alts, nothing is alchemist-only. You can just mail stuff back-and-forth.

Many of the other professions have BOP stuff so it’s better for your main to do those.

In BC there are reasons for your main to be an alchemist.

Idk if alchemy is worth it for profit this late but you can plan ahead like others have said. I used to buy pots off the ah but it got expensive so I picked up herbalism and sent the herbs to my guildy to make pots for me. The herbs I don’t need I sell. Plaguebloom is 40g a stack on my server for example

If you have a raiding guild, more alchies is always good.

Alch is useful both for potion crafting, as well as the xmute cds.

My other toon is my alch /bank crafting potions, then I have 4 total alchs for the xmute cd…

The good news is each xmute bot is about 10g every 2 days for arcanite. You can buy better profit xmutes, but the recipe cost is high.

As far as potion crafting… This is my primary gold farm. I buy mats and craft pots. This makes me between 100g on the low end during a day, and I’ve made upwards of 700g on my best day. It is VERY time /labor intensive however. I’m probably creating/selling 500 pots a day on average.

It’s also time /labor intensive constantly listing/relisting auctions… You simply have to post everything for a 2 hour max duration, because you will be undercut during that time, and only the lowest price ever sells. Half the time in canceling auctions early just to relist them.

Finally, getting all the potion recipes can be expensive and annoying. I’ve probably got 2k of purchased potion recipes… Had to farm rep for still other potion types, and I’m still missing a few patterns (the frost power one). I also don’t do any flask crafting on my alch, mostly because I don’t want to hassle myself with going to the alch lab.

Once every 2 days (48 hours), not every day.

This all sounds like Jewelcrafting, not alchemy.

Woe is me! I’m a…a…a fool!

Oh, that explains it. I have 4 toons with 300 alchemy (on 2 servers), BUT I don’t have that recipe. Now that I know about it, I’ll watch for it, and save up my gold so I’ll have enough to buy it.

I’d farm for it, but my highest toon is 42.

1 Like

Alchemy, transmute specialization goes hand in hand with JC come TBC and beyond, those transmutes make a whole lot more gold than they do in classic vanilla, i’d litterally have every one of my characters with alchemy just to have a factory setup for pumping out that easy gold every day.

1 Like

I ended up dropping it for tailoring. Having potions for myself was cool but the herbs on my server ended up being worth more than the finished product. So many people are alchemist its driving the prices down on my server.

My mistake, I haven’t leveled it up that far myself and only remember the cool down being there, thanks for clarifying!

I’m herb on my main and alch on my alt. You don’t really need it on your main unless you need to make pots from recipes you can only get at 60.

Having an Alch alt is good because you can make your own consumes and u get a transmute.