To DH mains, WHY?

These days I see a lot of people that say they are a Demon Hunter Main. Here in the forums in every thread, we are always arguing and going at one another. So my question to everyone who really plays a DH main atm is. What was it that made you like/love it enough to make it your main?

I’ve played from the release, I’ve played every melee at one point or another for various things but as far as a raiding main toon went. I used to always raid main what my guild needed. So I mained a Hunter from Vanilla to Wrath. Then, because of how insainely overpowered DK’s were, we had 4. Which I mained from Wrath through WoD. I was forced to stop playing WoW about 6 months before the launch date of Legion. I was asked/forced to start playing again about 3 weeks before the Antorus raid launched.

I tried out a few classes/specs and so on and ended up settling with the Demon Hunter. I picked it because it was crazy fast. Zipping all over the place and I loved Meta. Not so much what it did but the actual transformation into a demon. It looked so badass compare to maining a Hunter/Death Knight. I really enjoyed not having to do a different rotation for random aoe/cleave but at the same time if we knew we needed massive AOE we could pick up Fel Barrage and just nuke stuff down. And now after playing all of BFA using DA/Immo aura with all of these outrageous borrowed power systems, I am really anxious about the changes they are doing to the class I love.

4 Likes

Double jump.

Because I tend to get stuck at those little stones, fences, posts, trees etc. Without double jump it takes me a long time, and sometimes a whistle/hearth to get free.

13 Likes

I had been liking my combat - erm, outlaw - rogue less and less through Legion and the start of BfA. That character had been my main since early Vanilla. I was sick of blizz forcing more and more RNG on the spec, and decided to change. I had been raidind Uldir with another group and I was enjoying it, so I switched.

Reasons:

• more fun in raids and dungeons than outlaw
  • mobility
  • survivability, especially in solo play
  • Warglaives of Azzinoth xmog (which I have been pushing for other classes to be able to xmog since I got it on my dh - I find it absolutely asinine that the classes that originally used the glaives can’t xmog them)
  • no rng in the rotation
9 Likes

I currently main DH but since beta and prepatch i have not really logged onto live. I loved the speed. More so just being everywhere. But most of all I loved Being so self reliant. I know I know we were broken with leech, but I loved being self reliant.

Anything I do in game is just to rip apart people in random bgs and world pvp lol. Kinda have always been that way since vanilla. I pve just to pvp. Glide is one of if not the coolest things to have on demand whenever.

I really like the lore behind DH aswell. I like the idea of being enhanced by demons to give us strength. However the self reliant part is kinda gone here in a few months

2 Likes

Ex-Priest main here, recently switched to DH. Despite the shadow changes, I’ve been wanting to switch off from my ranged/healer characters and try something different. I fell in love with the idea of playing a succubus/occult melee. Double jump, glide and eyebeam sealed the deal for me.

2 Likes

each class have their unique game play, and i guess that way every one can find a class that they like to play (having all of them something in common), ccs, some jump far away, blink etc… DH is not for every one, same as a caster for people who like to move around in the middle of the fight, other like the sniper been far away been safe and shoot… there is a class for every one, i wonder what blizz will bring next expansion.

1 Like

The fastest class in the entire game, i can move and maneuver at my pleases, double jump, use the wings to move across the lands.

I love mobility in games… and wow doesn’t have much…

4 Likes

Prior to making havoc DH my main in Legion, subtlety rogue was my main up until that point. Having mained sub rogue since wrath, I did not like the direction/play style sub went into. The whole “shadow” theme sounded awesome on paper, but wasn’t executed all that well imo in the actual game. Especially after subsequent nerfs, we were relegated to a teleporting CC class without the burst of previous xpacs.

Having played around with a DH in the pre-patch event, I automatically fell in love with the class. For me it was easy to ditch my rogue at that point. Haven’t looked back since. The animations and visual are awesome. Being able to glide is awesome. Just a whole lot of fun and simple in contrast to what sub rogues have encompassed up to that point.

I mostly pvp, and it’s just so satisfying to fel rush in and be more reckless as a DH in contrast to rogue. Whereas in years past sub rogue was about set up and ambushing your prey with proper CC while bursting down an opponent.

That is more or less why I’ve switched over to havoc Dh as my main. At this point, I don’t think I could go back to rogue. I just played rogue to death and I really like the simplistic straightforward style of havoc along with there stylish animations.

That being said, I do miss some of the toolkit/CC my rogue had at the expense of being such a simplistic, albeit mobile class.

2 Likes

15 years. 15 long, cold years I waited.

I was patient. I brushed off the laughter of those who said it would never be a class.

Warcraft 3 was one of my favorite games growing up, and demon hunter was my favorite hero unit to play with. Before I even began playing WoW I remember looking through the old website’s list of classes and feeling sad that none of them were demon hunters though :frowning:

My journey with WoW began with me playing a hunter (cause y’know, it at least had “hunter” in the name). To say I was a craptastic player was an understatement. I meleed everything. But progression and pushing content wasn’t exactly my thing. Being on an RP server, I happily RP’d as an edgy demon hunter (before it was cool).

It was about halfway through BC before I decided “screw this, I’m sick of not being a melee class” and made the switch to warrior. At least I wouldn’t be penalized for hacking things to bits the way I wanted to. And my journey continued.

I got better at the mechanics of the game. I joined the odd guild or two and tried my hand at raids. Arenas with friends. Stomped across battlegrounds. And it felt really good… but something was always missing.

I farmed the Warglaives of Azzinoth as soon as I could. I made up different transmogs to try and make myself look more demon hunter-y. “Oh look, a glyph that sets me on fire whenever I enrage? Cool. That’ll at least feel like I’m casting Immolation Aura”.

Then came the legion announcement trailer. My patience had paid off and I would only need to wait a little bit longer.

It was the day of the early access. Tuesday. Patch day. It would be hours before they’d supposedly be done. But I had a commitment later that evening and wouldn’t get to play much. So I was there making log-in attempts in hopes that maybe they’d finish early. It was foolish. Compulsive. There was no way that they-

Login successful

My heart jumped. Got to sign in. Character creation. I’d already known exactly which option’s I’d pick. Quickly. Got to secure character before my name is taken. Not that it would, but f**k, hurry. Done. Enter world.

Intro cinematic. Zone into Mardum. No one else was there.

Was this some sort of trick? I can’t be the only one. Then after a moment of confusion, more and more demon hunters started to pour in. Finally it dawned on me: I was the first. Of course I know that this was only for the server I was on at the time, but something about that was just monumentally fulfilling.

So frankly, the haters can all choke. We had metamorphosis before warlock was even a class. For every one demon hunter that you see, in the lore, four more elves lie in graves. The class fantasy is awesome. It was worth the wait. And the fact that the actual class slaps is another awesome perk.

From a mechanical standpoint, it feels really fun to play. One of my biggest dislikes as a warrior was that my main mobility (charge) required a target. Fel rushing was a very welcome change. Specific tuning of certain abilities is another conversation for me, but for the most part I think they got most of the class-fantasy-to-mechanics part correct.

Nobody believes me when I say it, but I would happily main DH even if it were the worst class in the game.

tl;dr Class fantasy geek.

21 Likes

Fel Rush
Glide
Double Jump
Eye Beam

3 Likes

Because GOTTA GO FAST!!

5 Likes

Because this is the closest thing to old Demo warlock we will ever get.

1 Like

Because in legion VDH was fun and while not OP it wasnt a trash spec, now i dont want to reroll but blizz doesnt want my sub either :frowning:

1 Like

What do you mean closest thing to old Demo Warlock? Did they use to be melee?

1 Like
  • double jump is super fun
  • glide is amazing, i love gliding from lumber mill to bs or bs to mines without need for glider kit.
  • fast paced class i love zipping around the fight, can instantly latch onto enemy healers or zip back to my healers and peel for them if needed.
  • they look cool, the glaives from mage tower r my fav weapons in the game
  • very fun playstyle to me, you basically “wreak havoc” which means you cause widespread destruction. its like a ninja warrior on roids and crack.
  • tanking is also fun IMO. i like flag carrying if i have good healers and in dungeons i can leap from pack to pack and kite mobs with ease all day
  • i like that i can purge, i often purge things like BoP instantly and this means pallies die/ or purging combust on a mage feels really good.
  • i like the glaive slow talent, i play it and i use it to slow and pick off people in bgs all the time, with the snare and my moblity i stick to them like glue and theres nothing they can do about it .
  • really looking forward to the mortal strike we get in SL, im gonna be so much better at murdering healers now. woot woot
2 Likes

Glide was op in legion. Glide was still noice in bfa.
Eyebeam into meta feels moist.
DH tank just feels like im dpsing even though my hp yo-yos

2 Likes

For me it’s not so much why I like DH the most but why I dislike all the other classes more.

I find ranged classes to be boring so that eliminates mages, warlocks, hunters, priests, balance druids, and elemental shamans.

I don’t like needing to tab target multi-dot when doing AoE on groups of mobs so that eliminates Assassin rogues and Feral Druids.

I don’t like the race options for Shamans so that eliminates Enhancement.

Ret paladins are too slow paced which makes them boring to me.

I don’t like the animations and theme of monks.

I like melee classes with easy AoE rotations and fast attacks so that leaves me with Fury warriors, Outlaw rogues, and Havok Demon Hunters.

But Im not a fan of Roll the Bones and rogues have always felt super squishy to me, so even though stealth is awesome and makes world pvp easy mode, I just don’t like the playstyle and squishiness so no to Outlaw rogues.

So between Demon Hunter and Fury warrior, I like them both, but Demon hunter win out thanks to having better mobility, flashier abilities, a cooler theme, an AoE rotation that’s the same as their single target (cant get easier than that), and of course the wings.

8 Likes

Through the years, i’ve had less and less time to play though i still tank. Tanking as a DH requires little input comparatively and that leaves you with high situational awareness.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I am a DH main right now as it stands. This expansion I’ve jumped around my Paladin, Hunter and DH and I like something about all of them. Next expansion however I only want to focus on one toon and the DH is being considered. The mobility, fluid rotation, speed, self heals are all unmatched.

1 Like

I mained a Unholy DK for the longest time. It was fun. You put diseases and you hit them with your beat stick and bolts. Oh, and there was this fun spell where you could try and put it on something and get the spell copy. Couple other fun bits. Slowly that went poof and turned into a press all these buttons as fast as you can after you get full power and rely on all your pets.

I really enjoy the simplicity of DH. Its just like things used to be back at the beginning, before we decided we need 4 extra buttons and atleast 2 need to blink about once per minute. And being able to glide around, just has a tad of the old school “fun factor” in it. Being able to stomp on everything as a giant demon, yep, pure fun.

1 Like