Tips for healing M+?

To start - I’m very casual and not an epic healer by any stretch.

That said, I’m completely new to M+ and worked my way to SD +10 and the party dropped out after first boss and I’m pretty sure my healing just wasn’t good enough.

The pally tank was spiking heavily on each pull and some explosive were missed so group healing was high but more importantly, my hard efforts at I’ll 248 showed me at an overall

4.7k hps
1.2k dps

I ended up having to focus heal flash of light and LotM on tank while mixing in empowered WoG (vanquisher) to heal party. I’m on at 2 piece in tier.

Other than explosive, the dps weren’t really standing where they shouldn’t, I was just not able to heal through the tank damage. Tanks gear ilvl255.

Without logs to show, what are some tips to heal m+10 and up?

Look for Ellesmere on twitch and watch how he heals and check out his wingsisup website. He is mostly playing Holy Priest now days but if you can find his older recordings and watch this.

If you are spamming Flash of Light you are doing something really wrong. You should not be spamming that spell.

Stand at a practice dummy and work on building Holy Power as fast as you can and spend that Holy Power on healing. The faster you can build and spend holy power the better healer you will become.

The only time I ever cast Flash of Light is when I can’t build and spend Holy Power which should almost be never.

2 Likes

To add to this, casting of flash of light on the beacon will get you holy power which can help if you just can’t be in melee for w/e reason for a bit

1 Like

I think, for this group, that was my problem. I can usually start each pull with atleast 3 holy power ready.

Normally I open with a couple melee crusader strikes and if I need a Holy shock on party after those 2 globals, toss a HS on someone.

With this group, the tank just kept getting spikes 25-40% health after about 5 seconds each pack and, even beaconed, my healing just didn’t pull the tank up faster than they were getting damaged. Each heal was 5k-12k with occasional 21k WoG crits.

The tank complained they shouldn’t have to use globals to stay alive, etc.

I’ll check out the streamer, thank you. I know some can pull insane healing numbers at low gear levels and save even bad tanks from fire. I just want to find the middle ground of paladin healing!

The tank at that level should never be in danger. He was likely taking avoidable damage, and misplaying his defensive cds. Mostly you track tanks defensives with omniCD and just spot heal the group. If you’re doing much more than that in a 10 it was a group problem, not a you problem.

That being said I encourage you to optimize your healing playstyle and CDs effectively so that you can carry a bad group like that in the future!

2 Likes

Prot was too squishy so don’t beat yourself up too much, went without a healer on boss last night no issues on a 15 at same ilvl. PuGs are hit or miss so don’t let it get to you.

Keep running keys and find a group to run with. The only way to get better is to play and check your logs after to see what you can improve gear or skill wise.

1 Like

In a SD 10, I wonder if the tank was eating hunter traps and the mist dancer cast. You said you only made it to the first group before they disbanded. You will encounter both of those mechanics before that.

1 Like

For a +10. 4.7 is fine. I play tanks and healers exclusively at ilvl 259. I can tank a few runs for you and then we can figure out some improvement areas. A tip to see if the tank is messing up is check his buff uptime for shield of the righteous. If it’s anywhere below 95% uptime he is messing up. For a +10 the damage he took after his own self healing should be around 1.5k hps overall.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree, this sounds more likely. Hunter traps can chunk you sometimes and the mist dancer cast as well. Now sometimes I’ll intentionally take the traps so the melee don’t have to worry about them, but I prep up a WoG or a cooldown before hand. There’s also a relics pull early on, so possibly an Urh slam as well.

There is a great addon called Omnicd. It displays CDs next to the health bars of your party members in your UI frames. You can configure it to only show what you feel is important to know to simplify it. In this case, it would be tank CDs. Read the tooltips on each tanks CDs and get to know how they work. If a tank is going into a big pull dry, or the pack isn’t dead when the CDs wear off, use blessing of sacrifice. It’s also recommended that you use divine protection during this to offset the damage you are absorbing. It’s a short cd and worth using every time you cast sacrifice.

There is only so much you can control. Your numbers were perfectly fine for a 10. I’ve healed +20 and higher keys with 4khps. The better the players around you get, the less “healing” will be required and more GCDs can be used for damage to help your team get through the dungeon faster.

In that key range, it’s best to keep things simple, get to know the mobs and bosses abilities and be ready for the damage before it comes. Use your CDs OFTEN, especially in 10+ with Urh. Don’t be shy with that div or aura mastery. When your dead you can’t use it! Sorry for the long read!

2 Likes

You cant heal incomptence and people who stand in bad. HPS is not a good meteic because a good group requires less healing. Get the fail damage addon and if multiple people are taking 300k+ in fail dmg, well there you go.

There are by far more fail damage and bad players in lower keys. Thus, will actually be harder to healer than higher keys with more skilled players.

I came back less than 2 weeks ago and timed multiple +18s with only season 2 gear. 255 is more than enough to tank a +10. Overgeared infact.

Fail damage addon? I’ve heard of an add on that can be set to announce when someone is standing in bad.

What’s a good one to use (sans public announcment) ?

It’s through WA, but it basically posts in chat whenever someone takes avoidable damage and will add it all up at the end of the run.

1 Like

You can also start with an offensive Holy Shock, to get it on CD right away and then benefit from Crusader Strike’s CDR.

1 Like

Elitism helper

2 Likes

Play prot in keys or reroll. Hpal is a mess now.

How does a damage nerf and Shaman/HPriest becoming dominant make it “a mess” now? And OP said they were doing +10…so it’s not like spec matters at that level. And at that level they aren’t even going to notice the clip to Wings anyway. (Not to mention that 1/5 of the top 40 healers are Paladins, so it’s not like they can’t do the highest keys either)

Because the tier set is idiotic and awkward. Because hpals only way to get into keys was their damage.

And no 1/5 of top healers arent hpals. Currently hpals are only 12% of 25+ keys.

I said top 40. Which is true. Just sayin’ that it’s pretty hard to push the highest keys anyone is pushing if your spec is “a mess,” methinks. “Lower on the totem pole” is not equivalent to “this spec is a mess.” Again, not that it’s relevant to the key level OP is asking about right now.

Awkward in keys, sure? I found this week (bursting) running BoV that the 2-piece was basically an extra CD. The healing through BoV was tremendous.

2 Likes

The keys being pushed now arent remarkable. As evidenced the fact that I recognize almost no one in the top spots currently.
And if its not relevant to OPs post, then how is your point about 1/5 of the top 40 healers being hpal relevant, and why are you trying to dictate whats relevant if you cant keep track of it yourself?
And yes its awkward in keys, what else would we be talking about?