Timewalking dungeons undertuned

It’s one thing to bring the difficulty down for people who can’t really handle what heroic cata dungeons dished out back in the day, but making it so bosses are dying in like sub 20 seconds is kind of insane.

Like these TW dungeons aren’t even dungeons, aren’t even as difficult as a standard world quest, it’s basically just a walking simulator while occasionally dropping aoe.

7 Likes

Half of the people doing these dungeons are levelling/gearing, who the hell cares…?

7 Likes

QFT

/10chars

The dungeons are a touch undertuned from a dps perspective, but they still have quick-kill mechanics, so perhaps it’s a good balance.

It might actually be nice to have the option to try this at a meaningful difficulty. I think the scaling changed here because I remember doing that MoP dungeon with the wall where the first boss has bombs he puts all over the place and it was really challenging. I think this was either in Legion or maybe early BfA? I remember my group struggled with it because the mechanic was actually meaningful, and when we got it, it felt good!

I get just wanting to get your xp and move on, and while I may have reservations about that, it’s not my intent to make things genuinely more frustrating when that’s not desired.

Interestingly, I’ve been playing FF14 lately because some friends I was playing WotLK with wanted a change of scenery. While it’s not my favourite game, one interesting thing they do is allow you to set the scaling when you go back and do old dungeons as a pre-made group. You can choose to do it either at the maximum bounds of item scaling, making the dungeon extremely easy and a breeze to complete, or you can choose to do it at the minimum bounds of item scaling, which makes the dungeon extremely challenging and the mechanics meaningful.

On our last session, we did the same dungeon both ways. The first way was extremely easy and pretty boring. The second way was extremely challenging and we had a blast!

At least this is opt-in difficulty for those who want it.

1 Like

If you want difficult dungeons, mythic+ is an option

1 Like

I can do M+ stonecore?

Jesus you can’t be that dense

2 Likes

You’re the one thinking that doing more then just farting on the enemies in the dungeon somehow makes it hard /shrug

1 Like

You’re the one complaining that catch-up content is too easy.
/shrug

1 Like

Because it is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see what you’re saying, but the problem is, how do you balance difficulty around dungeons for the groups of over geared players during timewalking without over tuning them for people who are just levelling without redesigning them as seperate dungeons for max level players?

You haven’t been in many pugs chain failing the second boss of blackrock depths, i take it.

You mean caverns? All you gotta do is some toe dip action ams avoid being burned to death.

Well, under the FF14 approach, you don’t. You have what we have now for TW pug groups via the group finder. Your ilvl is scaled down, but much higher than the dungeon needs, so it’s very easy.

But with a premade group, you can choose to have your ilvl scaled to the minimum for the dungeon and go in if you want to, then it’s very hard and closer to the original experience. You would only get this if you deliberately chose to go after it.

It’s worth noting that in FF14, doing dungeons this way offers no additional reward, it’s just for fun.

TW is supposed to be an easy nostalgia trip for fun and alt leveling. It’s not supposed to be hard. If you want hard 5-man content, go do M+

Ain’t nobody said to make it hard.

2 Likes

In all fairness, I did… but like, optionally so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably by doing exactly as before: Separating level-cap (“Heroic”) Timewalking from Chromie-time leveling dungeons?

Want your level-cap weekly quest reward chest? Do the level-cap, more powerfully tuned version, not just the level 10-60 dungeons.

Slightly longer queues, sure, but then you can offer the content as an M0 catchup alternative or more, instead of it existing mostly just to slightly speed up a single expansion’s worth of Chromie Time leveling queues (and often enough putting first-time-leveling players in conflict with the level-capped speed-runners).

A speed-walking simulator doesn’t much invoke nostalgia. And given that the quest gives 402s - 410s every week this month, it’s not terribly unreasonable to expect them to be harder than doing a random dungeon at level 12.

2 Likes

And probably suffer longer LFG qeues as a result.