Timewalking Campaign... Question

i’m not sure of this question works well in Guides, but i don’t know where else it would work. so, i’m pretty new (i started last year) and i’m interested in the lore/story of the game, and i just found out that the time walking campaigns are a thing, and i wanna play through them. my whole thing is: Can i play every timewalking campaign on one character? when i look it up, it says that the timewalking campaigns are for leveling 10-49, and i don’t wanna make 8 new characters for the campaigns cause i want the RP aspect of my character going through all of these adventures. thx!

Timewalking is a separate thing from what is termed “chromie time.”
Timewalking is a one week event that happens throughout the calendar that lets players in max level (and those under, but meant for max) to play through. You can absolutely run every time walking on one character, but I don’t think that’s what you’re referring to.

Chromie time was meant for people leveling, the 10-49 thing you mentioned. This is to let the world scale down so they can level through it at their own leisure. As a max level 60, you can just go ahead and do whatever you want by simplying picking up the starter quests, going to those areas, and doing it as you want. You can also go switch chromie time, but I don’t believe you need to do that at all. You do not need the world to scale down as its already scaled down. You’ll be able to solo most dungeons, raids as well. The only thing that will be iffy is bfa dungeons/raids and legion mythic raids, but that’s because that is more recent content. That has always been the case.

1 Like

ok thank you!

1 Like

When you hit level 50, you get kicked out of “Chromie Time” and can’t re-enter it. The work around is to lock your level before that point. There are NPCs in Stormwind and Orgrimmar that can turn off XP gains for a small gold fee. (The same NPC can turn them back on when you are ready to move on.)

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=35365/behsten

If your plan is to do all the things, then you’re best off locking at 47. Once you hit 48 and become eligible for the Shadowlands intro quest, it can be hard to turn Timewalking back on if you turn it off for any reason. (I have been able to do it by dropping the Shadowlands quest and talking to Chromie really fast, but the quest only takes a few seconds to repop.)

Turning Chromie Time on for any expansion will cause all of the older expansions to scale. The individual expansion you choose sets which dungeons you see in the dungeon finder. You can swap between expansions by talking to Chromie again.

Now, will all that being said, you don’t need Chromie Time to do all the old content, only to have it scale to your level. So, if you don’t mind one shotting stuff, you don’t need to use it at all. The advantage to this method is that you spend less time on the more tedious parts of quests and you can run in and solo dungeons and raids to see the story. (It can be hard to take in the story in LFD groups as most people just want to clear as fast as possible.) The downside is that some of those big end of quest chain boss fights are really anti-climatic.

And of course, there is the hybrid method. As long as you don’t hit 48, turning Chromie Time off and on is as easy as making the trip to the main city. So, you can quest with it on, and then turn it off to solo dungeons and raids. (Or if a particular zone starts to drag for you.)

Oh, and be prepared for it to take a while. I did a full tour of the quests on a character not long ago, and it took 16 months. (And that was without Chromie Time and scaling, so I was one-shotting my way through stuff.)

Blizzard’s official term for Chromie Time is Timewalking Campaigns. Which is honestly a bit confusing due to the Timewalking weeks which are a different thing. I think that’s why the unofficial “Chromie Time” has stuck with players.

1 Like

yes! thx for the help! i had no idea that there were NPCs that turn off exp

There are excellent you tube lore videos to watch as well.

1 Like