Time to lift some Tmog restrictions?

I think given the current state of the game, with so many disgruntled players, now would be a great time to lift some of the more pointless Tmog restrictions. I’m speaking of purely cosmetic changes here, so this will cause no balancing or gameplay issues for the Devs, but in some small way, may increase some players satisfaction with their character.

For too long have I heard lame excuses about why a certain character can/can’t wield certain items. “class fantasy” for example. Who’s fantasy? Not mine, it’s my character right? I’ll use my ele shaman as an example here. In no way, shape or form is it in my class fantasy that my elementalist caster would carry around a pointless shield that does nothing but sit on my back. In fact I doubt very much if you looked into (most) cultures known to have contained shaman/wisemen/mystics, very few would have wielded ungainly shields

Currently in game, a fury warrior can Tmog to be dual wielding 2 x Staff of immaculate recovery, which of course is ridiculous. And yet a frost DK cant mog to a 2H sword? Something which he has previously wielded?

I don’t know, maybe I’m the only one bugged by this sort of thing. But it seems to me that fun, and character personalisation is being held back by some pretty weak, outdated reasons

I would propose

• Ele/resto sham: shield/1h <> 2h
  • Enh Sham: DW <> 2h
  • DK: DW <> 2h
  • SV Hunter: 2h <> DW
  • Monk: DW <> 2h
  • Pally: shield/1h <> 2h
  • Fury war: 2 x 2h <> 2 x 1h
  • Casters: 1h/offhand <> 2h

I’m sure there are others that I haven’t thought of but you get the point. So am I alone here? Shouldn’t these be the sort of “easy to implement, whilst not hurting anyone” changes the Devs should consider?

7 Likes

While I get it you want to make use of the dissatisfaction by getting things that would make you and a few others happy, offering bandaids to a game that resembles something freshly dismembered isn’t going to help the game in the long term.

1 Like

Yeah we have been arguing about certain mog restrictions for the longest time , the most recent one being spec restriction mogs with legion artifacts

Can’t use my arms skin on fury and vice versa even if the same character earned both of them and not separating the main hand from off hand. Notice after every Tuesday maintenance your off-hand appearance un-mogged :rage:

1 Like

I wanna wear my shades all year round instead of just during the anniversary.

6 Likes

We have transmog restrictions because Ion doesn’t believe in transmog.

2 Likes

I am 100% on board with allowing for any armor type to xmog to any other armor type (e.g. cloth to plate).

I also say the same for weapons, but they are a little trickier since they have different animations. Though over the years Blizzard has tackled this and expanded it several times, so I don’t think it’s a far fetch for them to just finish the job there.

So tired of people telling me I shouldn’t be able to xmog my priest to plate just because they personally don’t think it’s appropriate. Yet somehow turn a blind eye to holy paladins…

Other common “nay” reason I hear is because it makes it harder to more easily tell what enemy you’re up against. As if the class colors on the nameplates or the highly visual spells and abilities don’t give it away.

3 Likes

Ranged into non-ranged. I can see the reasoning for hunters, they are shooting a ton and it wouldn’t work for a sword to shoot bullets – however cool that may be. However almost no caster actually uses their wand to shoot things, we have ranged spells to do that. A weapon is really just a stat stick for casters, why not let them have it look the way they want?

Game mechanics.

I am pretty sure in-lore a shield would come in handy to cover against certain blows.}

I could say the same about Staves, but you don’t see me complaining.

Orcs - Warriors to the heart, I can see them carrying them.

Trolls - Most ‘‘shaman’’ trolls are Witch Doctors, yeah they carry only staffs I back you up in this one.

Tauren - Pacifist race, but like Orcs pretty good damn warriors, I believe they would be carrying shields.

Draenei - Newly (Kinda) introduced to Shamanism, I see the males carrying shields and the women staffs. (Depends on class tho)

You gotta remember that in-game =/= lore.

This is Bullsh!t, I back you up here too.

There would be no reason for a Frost mage to wield Felo’melorn or a Holy priest to wield Xal’atath, those are fine. I don’t like it, but it’s appropiate.

Blizzard you do you even lift?

Why would a mage wear plate armor? It’s been stated in lore why they weild cloth only.

A Paladin tanking blows with smooth silk…

No thanks

2 Likes

And there is a list hundreds of rows long about how Blizz dumps on their own lore. This whole “but lore!” argument is getting pretty embarrassing.

1 Like

Gotta respect what little lore we have.

Don’t ruin it please :c

2 Likes

I mean look, I like lore. I have the title and everything. But at the end of the day, in a game, I value gameplay over lore.

Did you say fun? Nerf it some more for “balance”

1 Like

At least just let us automatically learn (not use) stuff that drops even if it’s not our normal armor. From older stuff, anyways.

3 Likes

I, however back this up.

You know it sucks when you get a cool sword drop from Ulduar when you are a priest or some caster. Would be nice to have it for my Warrior or DK

Don’t know if it’s still this way because it has been at least five years since I’ve played it, but I like the way EverQuest 2 handled it.

If your character could equip the armor type, they could transmog it. So, a Shadowknight could mog cloth -> plate, as could all plate classes but a rogue could only do cloth -> leather.

I guess it’s a little unfair but the system always made sense to me.

And stop with this “but lore/realism” argument. If it were legit basically every class should be wearing at least some plate while in combat. Archer? Remove gloves/wear an open faced helm. Maybe don’t bother with armor below the knee, but DEFINITELY wear a plate cuirass.

The rest of the armour types would make you a dead duck pretty quick in reality. Course, WoW isn’t reality so it doesn’t matter but that’s my point. Let people wear what they like.

Ahem, only the first bit is actually a response to you. I went off on a tangent. lmao

Bottom line is…there’s tons of toys, food buffs, items, ect that change your character to not look like your class at all. There are no more solid arguments for holding transmog hostage. Please, let us have some harmless fun and customize our characters the way we want.

The fear of everyone looking stupid died when transmog first came out. It was really rare to run across someone purposely making themselves look bad and to be honest if they want to look stupid, who are we to ruin their fun?

1 Like

Well my leather looks like plate and/or cloth so I guess it sort of is already here