Thoughts on shadowlands

I would like to preface this and say I am not a game developer in any way. I have no idea what it takes to make a game as massive as wow. Hat is off to the devs for making this game because its an accomplishment to say the very least. I will say that Blizzard and the WoW dev team need refind their vision and stick to their guns. Shadowlands is a good expansion, my friends are all enjoying it but it’s just not the expansion for me. I’m going to have to pass on the rest of shadowlands for now. Looking forward to finishing up my goals in classic wow and TBC if it comes!

There is your TLDR. Conveniently placed at the top so you don’t have to read anymore! :slight_smile:

Shadowlands was fun while it lasted but it feels like a lobby game, not an mmo. The zones are tiny and feel hollow. Once your done with the story there isn’t a reason to explore or spend time in any of them. Don’t even get me started on Revendreth, which was my favorite zone btw from a visual perspective. Who thunk that world design and moving around…those elevators and walls! Maldraxxus feels too safe and PC. As metal as this zone could have been, it missed the mark.

World quests are old news and in dire need of an update. - Anima as a reward isn’t just a joke, its an insult. Its boring as a reward and what it rewards.

The forced lore and cut scene spam is tiresome. Some of us gave up on the wow lore along time ago and skipping cut scenes doesn’t mask that the story of wow is even too much for blizzard at this point.

We were given back iconic class abilities in this unpruning but these also missed the mark. Too many spec specific – Rogues not having gouge for all specs. WF totem not available for shaman class, No Zerker stance for warrior. Etc.

Combat rotations while fluid are still in need of work. Too much reliance on builder spender. Tertiary resources under utilized or bland with no interaction with talents or ablities.

Talent choices aren’t choices, still cookie cutter for the content. Talents should be looked at at length and indepth.

Spell schools made a lack luster return – they are fun wish it would have been more.

Spec homogenization is still far too involved in the core gameplay.

Pve Gear drops are a joke, zero reward for completing content. Badges aren’t the answer here either I don’t think.

Purples have no value, gone are the days when you could remember an items name. Now its just …of the whatever. Its boring.

PvP vendor is good, possibly the best thing to come from shadowlands.

No blacklist feature for bgs. Used to be able to blacklist at least 2.

Epic BG’s are showing their age and are unfun.

Panda AB map should be deleted.

Twin peaks map should be looked at for fun factor

The new arena is cool as long as I put my sunglasses on.

BG timers are too short to offer counterplay. Just when you thought it was getting good, its over.

Great Vault isn’t the best system, its boring and meaningless. Should get those items from other places not just once per week.

The dungeons are linear and the repeatability factor is very concerning even for M+.

PvP balance is mediocre but I like the small frequent tuning passes. Zero communication is worrisome.

Arena meta is already stale. Needs to be shaken up for freshness.

More isn’t always the answer, Simple can be good. Too many mounts, pets and mindless achievements. That frog mount is awful. (last xpac but its all the same thing)

LFR is still in the game.

Take risks, find your vision and make shadowlands a great xpac! I wish you the best.

Thanks for reading.

I forgot to add:

Torghast - is a slogfest - account wide layer 8 won’t save it.

Covenants could be cool but need more fleshing out - the ablities however are a balance nightmare, good luck with that making them useful and fun.

Soulbinds are borrowed power and simply lame. Get away from the borrowed power as a whole.

Well, we are getting valor back

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/patch-905-ptr-is-now-available/864321