Thoughts on melee dps in TBC

you are = you’re not your

1 Like

you replied to me. You need to specify that you mean in general rather than calling someone casual you do not know. And yeah… pushing 15 year old content is fun. It takes a lot of time and effort. Rather that than a trash can game like retail.

I would say rogues and warriors do provide one thing that no one has really brought up yet and that’s short cd interrupts. Relying on casters for it is risky because they always have that 1% chance to resist.

Edit: Not saying they should be stacked because of that, but it does help to bring a couple for that reason.

And random folks on the forums act as if the objective superiority of some classes in terms of DPS is invalidated because they’re not in Progress.

Do you think Hunters are only top DPS in TBC if you’re in a guild like Progress?

No, you don’t.

That’s not specific to Fury, so your tank can provide that. It’s not often you’ll need many more interrupts than that.

if you simply read you could already tell it was in general. just because i replied to you didn’t mean i was suggesting i am calling you casual. hell i don’t play classic i am here looking at forums debating on playing it so…

push w.e. content you like/play whatever version you like. i like both for their own reasons but yea i primarily play retail for the story unless they change classic to work like OSRS does with the voting system and adding new content.

as i stated. if you aint first you last.

Yes. I do. You know literally nothing about me in game so you can’t actually tell me what I do and do not do.

I’m sorry but no you can’t. I can’t read your mind through the internet. You replied directly to me so naturally one would assume you are talking directly to them.

You know I can just look up your character’s raid history, yeah? lol

1 Like

Sad isn’t it.

I wish these zugzugs could just accept that they like nearly all of us are at best average to above average but not “the bestest evaar”

That would solve many problems.

Yeah. You realize ive been on different servers and warcraft logs differentiates that? I was on Thalnos in phase 1. I was the GM of Full Clear. In Fact I was on Benediction after that because the alliance transferred off of Thalnos. It always amazes me how people like you can act like you know everything about someone and be so sure of yourselves yet at the same time not think… this guy could have transferred servers at some point.

Cool, but Full Clear wasn’t a top 10 speed kill on any boss except… wait, did you mean Onyxia…? LOL

Grats on that, I guess.

In any case, you said you push for world firsts. Present tense. You’re not even 15/15. You don’t push for anything resembling world first, even if you could argue you pushed for world first Onyxia speed… when the vast majority of guilds didn’t compete in Onyxia speed at all.

It’s not the warglaives though. It’s the armor penetration that comes with t6 and za. Executioner enchant as well

Executioner is worse than Mongoose. Percentage based haste effects stack multiplicatively with other percentage based sources, such as Haste Rating, Bloodlust/Heroism, and Flurry/Slice and Dice. 120 Agility is also really good for any class that uses Mongoose, particularly Rogues.

This was mathed out back in TBC.

The Armor Penetration is a nice boost, but remember that is coming at the expense of other stats, be it Crit, Expertise, Haste, or Hit. The best items aren’t necessarily going to be items with Armor Pen. Armor Pen also has a VERY easy to reach hard cap that greatly diminishes the value of Executioner procs.

Honestly, it is just the Warglaives. They are leagues ahead in terms of DPS, especially for Rogues, because of their speeds and the haste proc.

1 Like

Yeah I do… but I had some real life problems happen and had to step away from the game… I really don’t know why you care what I do so much. Does it make you feel better? I don’t care what you think. I do. I will in TBC. Life happens sometimes. The guilds that matter did… or they wouldn’t be on top. My guild was number one for a week. WClogs stopped logging before they said they were going to. Where are yours? Or do you hate just to hate?

Again. I don’t care what you think I do or do not do. I don’t know why you are so hellbent on tryin to prove that I don’t. Just because I haven’t been successful yet, and ive been close, doesn’t mean I dont try. You have issues if you care so much about what I do. I begin to wonder if your own shortcomings make you feel the need to pull others down.

Holy crap I finally figured out how to just block you. Go take your eternal sadness elsewhere.

1 Like

This.

Armor Penetration is absolutely fantastic and scales exceedingly well as you reduce Armor more and more down to zero… and then immediately zeroes out to no value whatsoever. So while Executioner might have a sweet spot in gearing where you can rely upon the procs to not be entirely wasted and you lack enough other gear for Mongoose to really overtake it, I’m not sure that sweet spot lasts.

I’ll know better when I have all the actual numbers to play with since TBC p-server stuff is a tad hit/miss with coefficients, boss damage, etc.

Wasn’t it possible for armor pen to reduce armor below 0 before WoTLK?

[Patch 3.1.2] (2009-05-19): Capped to 100% (or 1232 armor penetration rating)

I don’t think so, the change in Wrath was making it a rating that had some weird scaling they had to literally spell out to us in some Ghostcrawler post.

It is NOT super easy to reach. Go look up the armor values of the bosses in bt/swp. It’s like 6200-7700 armor depending on the boss.

After raid debuffs (sunder, fairie fire, etc) you still need like 3-4K arp to hit 0. You’re not getting there without a proc, wether it’s exe, warpspring, madness or w/e

Probably because you felt it was necessary to bring up in the first place, bud. If you don’t want people scrutinizing your accomplishments, don’t laud them around.

I’m not really. I made one quick comment about something you said, and was otherwise talking about the subject: melee DPS in TBC.

As you might recall:

Then that was followed by what I found to be a funny comment you made immediately afterwards saying that you min/max, aren’t casual, push for world firsts, and have a top 10 speed kill.

“Who cares if you aren’t in Progress?”
“I push for world firsts!”

The second part was amusing to me because… you don’t. You can’t even clear the raid, regardless of whatever reasons you may have for that.

Pull? Bud, you should take a look at my logs if you think I have to pull you down to make myself feel better. LOL

Don’t get full of yourself, pup.

No. Armor Pen wasn’t a percentage in TBC, so it worked differently. You can’t have negative armor, so anything beyond the actual armor value does nothing.

In WotLK, Armor Pen was changed to be percentage based, and functioned differently as far as calculations go, such that you could remove over 100% of the damage reduction that armor was giving. If armor was giving you 25% damage reduction, 200% ArP would give you 25% bonus damage.

You’re not very good at math.

-2,600 (Sunder Armor)
-610 (Faerie Fire)
-810 (Curse of Recklessness)
= 2,180
-840 ArP from an Executioner proc.
-1000 from Warp-Spring Coil or -1200 from Badge of the Swarmguard
= 340 or 140.

Your BiS gear in T5 will have that much passive ArP, I guarantee you. Any more than 340 on your gear, and you start to lose value on your Executioner proc or your trinket effects. You won’t have Shard of Contempt until SWP is released, so you’re probably going to be using DST + WSC, which means reaching the hard ArP cap is a very real possibility for a majority of fights.

That results in any extra being wasted. And by the time Executioner is out, you can reach passive ArP values in the 4 digit range. Even T5 level gear has more than enough ArP available to reach that cap, with T6 and SWP gear having enough passive ArP to push you over cap even on 7,700 armor bosses.

Yes. So you need 340 arp on gear to reach 0 armor on the lowest armor boss with exe and coil proc.

Now you need to come up with another 840 arp on gear to replace exe.

This is not very easy pre swp.