Those who WON'T be maining Evoker: Thoughts on the Soar change?

a really good anology i seen someone say earlier Picture this,

You’re watching NASCAR, and the racers are zooming around at 200mph or some crazy speed, you can hear the roaring engines, you can see the safety fence shaking from the air displacement as the cars rush by at top speed.

That’s pretty fun. That’s exciting.

The next race, though, they decide that 200mph is too fast, so they limit racers to going 60 mph, which is the speed limit for a lot of ordinary daily drivers on the highway.

It’s still a cool car, it’s still a race, but it’s going a lot slower.

Do you really think it’s going to be as exciting as it was before? It doesn’t matter if you’ve ‘experienced it’ or not. You must know, on some implicit level, that reducing the speed of a race car is going to make that race car less fun to drive.

Has anyone even given a good reason flying really fast is OP and broken other than “because my class can’t” or “because it is” I’m not sure how traversing the old world and fast speeds is a problem at all. Even if blizz puts new content in the old world, why does it matter if they can get a quest done faster? There is no bonus for completion time.

2 Likes

there are many ways to get around all of old content this is only some of them

• mage portals + city portals + engineering portals, neche portal rings/cloaks

and there also adding in raid portals in wow shaodwlands season 4?

thats worldwide

soar can only be used once every 5min and fly on one map
somone on a steady 310% speed mount or taking portals or any other way of transportation can catch up in that time very easily wich i feel make’s the argument irrelevant

soar is on a 5min CD
to gain great distance you need to be up/at a high peak to even reach such a greater speed lol
and have to be far too attentive with it to even stay aloft, nobody has any idea yet until they try it for themselves just how actually difficult it can be to keep flying.
and doesnt have any of the recharge abilitys the dragon riding has

1 Like

Yes, but only under the condition that I am also unable to attain such flight speeds in previous expansion zones.

If I could also reach those speeds in older zones, then they can keep all of it

Has anyone even given a good reason flying really fast is OP and broken other than “because my class can’t” or “because it is” I’m not sure how traversing the old world and fast speeds is a problem at all. Even if blizz puts new content in the old world, why does it matter if they can get a quest done faster? There is no bonus for completion time…

not to mention You don’t get 900% speed using Soar immediately,

3 Likes

As some one who will not play a Dracthyr, I hope they nerf Soar so much, they have to legally change the name to “floaty jump”.

1 Like

That analogy is terrible. Soar is still double the speed of normal flying.

DOUBLE what everyone else can do.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-dragonriding/1279462/71

If dragon riding isn’t allowed outside of the dragon isles, it’s just another borrowed power system. Another reason NOT to buy DF. /spit

Semper Fi! :us: :ukraine:

I dk,I’ll have to think about this,I like the Dracthyr couldn’t careless if soar were nerfed .

How would you feel if Blizzard gave all of your Teleports and Portals a 12 hour cooldown? The logic being that they gave the Mage class an unfair advantage for accessing different areas of irrelevant content, allowing them an unfair advantage when farming old stuff?

4 Likes

Comparing a racial to a class ability…if anything…strengthens the argument the racial should be nerfed.

This is not the argument you think it is.

1 Like

I don’t care

The two are immutably intertwined with Dracthyr Evoker, as explained to us in literally the first sentence we heard about them. :smiley:

3 Likes

So you support never giving Dracthyr additional classes as an option? They should be stuck with only evoker forever?

Absolutely!

3 Likes

I’m hoping this means a separation between Evoker and Dracthyr is possible. I’d be willing to restore pre-nerf Soar to Evoker as a class skill, while keeping the lesser version for general availability to the rest of the race.

It seems ppl can’t asses this logically, a proper analysis is required.
What needs to be done is put the things being compared in a race against each-other to see what advantages and disadvantaged they both bring.

Normal flying has the following properties:

• doesn’t have a cooldown +
  • high maneuverability +
  • max speed is almost instant +
  • max speed 410% -

Soar has the following properties:

• has a 5 minute cooldown -
  • lesser maneuverability -
  • have to gain max speed by doing flying stuff -
  • max speed 930% +

So from what we see… max speed was really the only advantage it had over normal flying.
I’d be fine with this nerf if they now made Soar have no cooldown.
But the advantage to disadvantage now is even more imbalanced after the nerf, since it’s 1.5X instead of 2X, so something has to give.

But they also need to make another racial to have normal fly mode, it just makes sense due to their wings obviously being functional…

P.S. Just want to add that doing stuff to gain speed, means you’re also wasting time traveling from point A to point B, as opposed to normal fly mounts which can go full speed almost instantly. So they need to calculate time versus distance for every distance they get compared to.

4 Likes

I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to main Evoker . I’ve only done a small amount of play testing with them so far. Got an alpha invite a few days ago. So as for the speed reduction, I don’t think it’s going to be as big a deal as ppl are making it out to be, so comparing it to other class transportation abilities is pointless.

nerf mages.

But seriously with the amount of hearstones and tp from engineers available mage advantage doesn’t exist much.

Soar will be usable everywhere, that’s a constant advantage wherever you go.
They’ll buff it back when dragonriding is available for everyone in old content, so hope that comes faster.

I think there’s reason to believe Dragonriding will be consigned to Dragonflight and not brought forward from it simply because it would require the rework of the entire mount system which, uh, is a lot of work. A lot of work for not a lot of payoff.

It really does depend how much work it requires, they could just cheat around it to make it fit old mounts by making it not require specific animations from old mounts. Might look awkward but better than not having a system if people like it.