This was supposed to be an alt/casual friendly expansion

I find SL to be very alt friendly and think some of your points are misleading.

You can transfer soul ash between toons and cinders only provide a barrier to max level legendaries. You don’t need any cinders for a 235 legendary and the difference between a 235 and 262 legendary is pretty small. Even if you think acquiring a max legendary is mandatory, that’s still only a couple hours in torghast playing at a leisurely pace.

You only need 40 renown and in practice I think you are only really grinding about 20 or so renown. When you make a brand new alt, assuming you have done the content on another character, you will get renown just for accepting your soulbinds. If you spend a couple hours doing the weekly tasks such as 1k anima, 20 lost souls, world bosses, shaping fate etc, you will easily be in the 50+ range.

I find it interesting that you didn’t mention the grindiest part of alts and that is maxing out conduits. You start off with all the conduits at 200 and even if you want to max out your conduit specs this is only a couple weeks. Once again, the power gained from max level conduits isn’t that much.

I don’t really understand what the people who complain that SL is horrible for alts actually want. Do you want to create a toon and instantly be able to do end game content? The way it is now, assuming you have a main that you have invested a decent amount of time in, you can create an alt, be at 200 ilvl (korthian armaments), have all conduits at 200 lvl, have all your anima from your main, and have soul ash to make 235 legendaries. You can even have mythic dungeon gear without ever having step foot in a dungeon.

Literally within several hours you are ready for endgame content such as mythic+ and raiding.

OH… and I forgot to mention…. My ALT Monk tank has killed through Sylvanas, on Normal in a PUG…. So how mich easier do you want this to be?

Looks to me this depends on how you define an alt…for me I have more capped alts this expansion then any before it. But then again alts I use for professions and just the joy of variety from a designated main.
So yes its alt friendly for me this way .

I have more alts near or at max level than ever before. I think it helps not being bogged down by things like lore.

I still advise this

for the same reasons as always. Some people like for their characters to be isolated from the rest of their account and I believe that can and should be respected :+1:

If there is an account wide allegiance that your alts can join then everyone can continue to play as they currently do and those that want more account wide benefits can stick their characters in the allegiance.

Sir did you forget that people have to,

Level their character
Level renown
Farm torghast
Farm gear.
Farm rep for conduits
Farm rift for sockets.

You are on some serious drugs if you think this expansion is a alt friendly expansion.

2 Likes

Are you aware you replied to yourself :slight_smile:

You first have to ask a person what is alt friendly as it means something different to everyone. To me alt friendliness starts with skips :man_shrugging: if I were making expansions that maw intro would have had a skip on launch.

As far as gear, I always point to WoD :slight_smile:

Ding 60, go to :man_shrugging: 2 hours later = 238 ilvl :+1:

4 out of 6 of things you list have some kind of transfer mechanism. 1 of the others can be bought and I don’t even know what “farm rift for sockets” even means…do you mean domination sockets? They aren’t even that impactful. Farm gear? Level up? Do you just not want to play the game?

Why you so offended

Leveling the gear that goes in the gear, but not until you level the reputation to let you do so, is getting old really fast.

They probably think it’s something we want, since Legion went well. It went well despite this.

I’m really not. Print doesn’t convey tone very well and I realized afterward that it may have come across as combative. I was trying to convey surprise/incredulity.

It’s the eyebrows, mate. You Elves could use a little wax on those things….

Let me tell you a little secret; they have been lying to us for a very long time. In fact, they lied about player power being time gated in 9.2. I don’t think they lying will stop until Ion is gone. I don’t even know if they’re trying to lie or not they probably think that it’s alt friendly to them.

1 Like

This expansion killed casual old fart progression with the following issues.

• More and more difficult mechanics.
  • Glacial progression if you just raid log.
  • Power systems requiring more dedication than raid logging ( torghast, conduit grind, domination socket upgrade grind )
  • M+ gear scaling to m15’s. Guild carries got a lot harder to do.
  • The vault taking so much more time with needing 4 or 10 of your highest keys to be optimal instead of just one. This combines with scaling to 15’s make it simultaneously take more time while needing more time to get guild carries in.

I think the 40 renown tokens are hilarious. 40 renown is super fast to get just easy stuff.

after 40 is the problem. That’s when renown acquisition really slows down.

They always say expansions are alt friendly. Shadowlands was in no way “alt-friendly” until 9.1.5. And giving us tokens for 40 renown was an insult. They should have made them 60.

2 Likes

Hell 80 imo

1 Like

Well you know they will never do that lol

How do you define alt friendly?

I define it as how much less work does it take to get an alt to the same point as your main. Are there short cuts or is it like that line from Contact “The first rule of government spending is why buy one when you can buy two for twice as much.”

Until 9.1.5 it took the same amount of work.

Another way to define it is how much extraneous activities do you have to do besides the end game activities of M+, raiding and PvP. Again, there was substantial amount of non end game activities that were required and until 9.1.5 there was no relief. Just multiply everything by the number of alts.

If leveling is such a hardship, just boost.

You can get all this done while mindlessly farming and watching something. Struggle to see the problem with a grind in an MMO.

Why is this even here? Sockets don’t add enough to force you to grind if you hate it, especially if it’s for an ALTERNATE character. Even now in 1,5, research rep is thrown at you from all directions, making that rep grind much shorter.