This timeskip is gonna suck

So there’s gonna be a timeskip in the lore…

That sucks considering some RPers, I’ll have to go over stuff within my character’s story.

3 Likes

Its an opportunity for character growth and development. When we sit down with the lore and the world we inhabit, there has been a global or interstellar crisis every other year at most. How all of Azeroth has not fallen into a deep, deep, pessimistic nihilism I have no clue. How some nations are even able to maintain their homes and population is beyond me given the level of absolute death and destruction we face.

Yeah, a time skip is going to suck more for some than others. Those who play characters that have a normal lifespan of 100 years, tops, are going to suffer more than others. Your dreanei here and my Forsaken, a 2-5 year time skip is a drop in the bucket.

Even then at worst a character that was created in Classic, for arguments sake, given a ‘normal’ or expected adventurers age (20-30ish) and survived all the way through now only lived through 10 years of in game time. They’re only 30 or 40 at time of Shadowlands. A time skip of 3-5 years, presumably, isnt going to hurt and makes for a more grounded and realistic narrative. Having a character be 45, after playing them for 18 years, probably matches up a lot more with someones actual lived experience than someone who’s seen the world almost end 5 times by 22.

We get a chance to give our characters a taste of the mundane. Gives them a chance to settle down, sit back, develop or get out of a relationship, take a vacation, pick up a hobby, get some therapy, the list goes on. Things that we don’t get to really sit down and think about or do because the world and game are always moving forward - there is always a crisis in story, always new gear to get, always a RP campaign to take part in. I’d say try to embrace it and get creative. For some of us, its going to be nothing and for others it might be a decent chunk of life and I hope they take it as an opportunity for creativity and fun.

6 Likes

Every expansion so far as been an effective timeskip as each expansion’s regions are time locked. The only thing that really changes is that Blizzard is acknowledging a calendar increment this time.

Besides, you’re freaking immortal. a few years is barely a weekend pass for you.

2 Likes

Calling my shot here. If the dialogue makes it into live–and there’s a good chance it won’t–it will be as a method of future-proofing that line of dialogue so it doesn’t read especially weird down the line.

This “skip” won’t be mentioned anywhere else in the game.

Means her son is going to be between the ages of 7-10

Perhaps it should be said that this is all roleplay, and the only thing moving forward is the official clock. There’s nothing wrong with moving your story forward for the general population and your everyday roleplay, and then stepping back a few years to play out events that happened in the in-between.

We once made a campaign set in Warcraft 2 to tell the backstories of our characters, i had to create an human character (the older brother of Vonaz) and had to get the Squire pet to play this character. It was pretty fun.

Time-skips dont affect RPers, if you want, can create a campaign for Nelfs set in the War of the Ancients, play on another planet if you are a DH fighting the legion, set up a campaign for the Burning Crusade…thats why RP is so fun.

I love the time skip that is coming. I think it is great for roleplayers. It provides so much opportunity for us.

As long as your comic strip runs, you’ll always be the same age.

Ask the Blonde Phantom.

Until I googled her today, I thought that she was created for She-Hulk’s John Byrne run.

Echoing a previous sentiment, I imagine the time skip will be rather easily ignored. I certainly don’t think it’s anything to fret over, especially since I highly doubt anything of any significance to rpers, that is beyond our control, will be affected in any way to signify the passage of time.

It’s not a big deal.

That’s exactly how I’m using it. I have several characters who story-wise were going to start families, but that’s always difficult to deal with in-game. A time skip really makes things easier when you want to jump forward into a different reality.

We demand the right to make meaningless forum drama!

1 Like

it really dosnt make sense like most of shadowlands tbh.

i hoped they just did a " this is all a dream "

This is actually why I wrote this character as retired for most of the events of Cata through WoD.

I mean it was also used to excuse my meta ignorance of the events of those games. But it was nice to have a character who’d enjoyed his own slice of peace and thus had something he was fighting for and wanted to return to.