This is Why No One Wants to Tank Pugs

Druid goes bear form. Everything is instantly scared, so starts attacking the bear. Bear has unlimited rage now. Then the bear just pulls, and pulls swiping away and boom done dungeon.

/dripping with sarcasm I can barely contain.

I’m always perplexed by players who go into a low-level dungeon expecting everyone to be pro-level advanced.

I’ve also always found Stocks to be sorta deceptively tough right after VC. Obviously it’s a straightforward dungeon with all melee mobs, but they hit hard, and the near-constant disarms, stuns, bleeds, and debuffs can be really hard on a new tank, especially if the group is rushing. Most of the mobs run away and they run straight towards other groups.

But that’s the thing about tanking, especially pugs. You’re front-and-center, all your mistakes are there for everyone to see, and everyone’s a critic and hypothetical expert, but nobody else wants to actually do it.

Tanking taught me something interesting about this game (and life I guess), especially in pugs. You’ll be in one group and they’ll say you’re great, you’ll be in another group and they’ll say you’re terrible. You gotta try to listen and incorporate their input, but at the end of the day you’ve got to control your own character and make your own decisions, and let other people think what they think.

4 Likes

It’s like swimming. You can’t learn by watching. Someone just has to throw you in.

5 Likes

How much damage do you think swipe is doing at stockades level?

1 Like

A month or so ago I got a whisper on my then-level 18 paladin: “Want to tank Deadmines for us?”

Me: “I would, but I have no gear.”

Whisperer: “We’ll keep you alive, don’t worry.”

The rest of the party was in their low to mid 20s. I spent precious silver to buy a white one-handed mace (all I had was my blacksmithing hammer) to go with my level 7 green shield.

I made mistakes, but they didn’t complain. And no one died.

Everyone learning to tank should have a group like that.

8 Likes

This should have been in the TL;DR, imo. It’s the best part of the story :heart:

Also, Elite’s Warrior Tanking Guide is a pretty good read for new warrior tanks, I think.

2 Likes

How are you EVER supposed to learn by just watching?
Yeah, I can see you charge into mobs … but I have absolutely no idea what spells you are casting, which mob you are targeting/focusing on, how to weave spells into meele swings, etc. I get you can see /some/ of this if you pay REALLY close attention to animations, but still … you gotta get in there and do it to see what is effective and what isn’t.

2 Likes

That would be murder, if the person (who doesn’t know how to swim) you threw into the water, ends up drowning.

Sincerely,
Some Who Doesn’t Know How to Swim

P.S. No, I will not go “swimming” with you.

it’s a lvl a lvl 25 dungeon. you can count on one hand the relevant abilities. stop trying to make this look complicated.

the hard part of classic tanking doesn’t come from the depth of the class… it comes from annoying taunt resist, string of parry/dodge, ressource generation being tied to damage taken and overly eager DPS.

If you push a tauren into the water, would that be considered cow tipping?

2 Likes

You are vastly overestimating the power of swipe. Don’t believe it? Roll a Druid and get back to us.

9 Likes

I’ve tanked as a warrior and a druid, and it’s far better on a druid at least.

As a warrior, tanking while leveling sucks, especially if you’re normally using a 2H and your 1H is only 5-10 skill behind. The mitigation mobs have against you can make tanking infuriating BEFORE the impatient DPS get on your nerves.

But yeah, vanilla tanking in general is super rough before gear.

This thread has inspired me to work on my warrior. Only ever played DPS and healz.

5 Likes

Am I missing something? The druid, who signed on as DPS, wants to go into his tank form and swipe spam?

4 Likes

There’s no z in heals.

Just trying to act like one of the cool kids. Excuse me, kidz.

1 Like

Apparently the cool kids rode the short :minibus:

1 Like

You have definitely never played a feral druid.

Actually it would. People don’t want to commit to tanking, but if there was a easy way to swap back and forth warriors would 100% have it. It would increase tanks by a good 50%. I still don’t want dual spec in Classic since I like Classic for what it is.

I have to say I’m sorry for your experience with one of my fellow druids. I’ll make sure they get no petting and head scratches for a week.

On a serious note, it’s really embarrassing on their end since they were a feral DPS at that level you can tank so the fact they didn’t even offer to take over and maybe teach the warrior and instead choose to just flame the warrior is just so sad.

1 Like