They will announce temporary sharding

…and some people here will act like they are adding LFD and LFR to Classic. Prepare for the flipout.

18 Likes

They will announce LFR and LFD. Let people lose their minds for a week, then come back and say as a compromise they will not have LFD/LFR but will have sharding.

That’s how they have conducted business for years.

8 Likes

I actually expect them to add in sharding to some degree for the start of things, it only makes sense. Allowing more players to play does not go against the whole classic thing.

If some are that worried about missing out on coming across another lvl 1-5 player that might change their life forever, then I would simply suggest they wait a week or two before starting.

2 Likes

People lost their minds when Blizzard told them…

“We’re giving you 1.12.”

Then they flipped out because…

“We’re also giving you 1.12 stats on items.”

1 Like

I’ve expected that they’re going to have temporary sharding since the moment they said they were considering it. They knew what kind of reaction even saying the word sharding not preceded by the word no was going to have, so I suspect they wouldn’t have said it unless they were fairly certain.

I’m more interested in the details of it. How long, in what zones, and once it’s gone will it be permanently gone or would they consider it during something like the AQ gates again.

I’ll flip or out not based on those details, not the fact that sharding will most likely be around at launch.

8 Likes

I don’t think it’s going to extend past the starting zones.

Ion said they don’t want two Lord Kazzak’s. That speaks for itself.

Temporary sharding should not be used but I full intend to do everything I can to get ahead of the leveling curve so it won’t be an issue.

If they use Sharding in capital cities then they’ve royally screwed up. I can understand starting zones but there is no place in Vanilla capitals for sharding.

3 Likes

Temporary sharding should be used. People saying otherwise are being selfish and a bit arrogant.
You’re essentially approving the idea of keeping people from advancing in a timely manner and continuing with quests because of “but vanilllllla” whining. It’s still going to be vanilla. Blizz has already discussed and has been vocal that it’s a temporary thing to kick start the launch.

Grow up.

6 Likes

farming those lvl 10 gnolls in a shard until lvl 14, best tactic.
Then go straight to lakeshire and farm boars / spiders there untill 16.
It be so good to skip westfall…

If the next update is on sharding i hope they have a confirmed number for server caps, i hope they are true to vanilla otherwise they will be like the Pservers reworking mob amounts and spawn timers and loot drops.

1 Like

“Prepare”?

“PREPARE”?

They’re already flipping out. The only thing more they can do is tap Caps Lock and repeat their posts at this point.

5 Likes

I’ll actually flip out if they say its going to be used in AQ. The whole point of it is literally to have the entire server see a guy bang a gong, then run for their lives.

I also want to see what they say about Shard sizing. Whether they’re listening to the reasonable responses here and are investigating large shards (200-500 players) or if they’re simply going to rush us through with 20-50 player shards.

3 Likes

This…

Is it.

What happens when you leave those starting zones along with all those other obstacles in yiur way (players) and now you’re in a secondary area competing for mobs, resources, quest objectives, quest mobs, etc?

Should they extend sharding beyond those starting areas so that leveling will be more convenient for you?

3 Likes

Theres a huge differance between 500+ people in the human starting area trying to get to lv 5 when that entire little area has probobly less then 30 mobs in it.

Goldshire and the rest of elenwyn forest is a MUCH bigger area with way more space, quests, and mobs. Its like 30x bigger at least. That can be done somewhat effectively by just grouping or waiting your turn. In the starting zone though, you will be lucky to get out of there in the first 12 hours. The zone normally takes less then 40 min. Thats if you are able to log in at all with 500 people crammed into an area smaller then goldshire itself.

1 Like

Lmao, right.

It’s like “we are giving you cherry pie”

freaks out

“It will have a cherry flavor to it”

freaks out again

Ah good times… I was one of those.

40 minutes for Northshire Abbey, and then they’ll all be in Elwynn Forest, where 500 people is still far too crowded. Even when they’re all around Goldshire its impossible to click on Vendors etc.

And you’re only saying 500. Personally i think that if they have that sort of limit, there’ll be queues of 10,000 people waiting per server because they’re already talking about limited servers.

Imagine if 1 million people want to go onto 10 servers on day one. That’s 100,000 people per server trying to get in. They’re going to need at least 100 servers just to satisfy the demand after the bulge (I predict about 500k players will continue with Classic) and unless they temporarily raise caps at the start and shard the starter zones (not areas, zones) then you’re going to have a panned launch which shareholders will hate and call for the closing of Classic.

100 servers, with server caps of 10,000 in the starters, falling to 2500 past the starters, gives a good overhead for the people who are serious about Classic, while allowing the looky-lous to get their looks in, and move on, in Elwynn and Durotar. If you’re accepting 10,000 people in the five starters, that’s 1250 in Mulgore, Elwynn, Teldrassil and Tirisfal Glades, and 2500 in Durotar and Dun Morogh (even assuming even distribution).

2 Likes

I’ll be acting like they’re adding sharding, which is a bad enough feature on its own. There’s no need to employ a fallacious slippery slope argument to be upset about sharding.

NO CHANGES.

5 Likes

I recognize that difference.

That difference does not prevent some pro sharders from advocating that sharding extend beyond those “starting areas” and that “brief time at launch”.

I want Blizzard to definitively set clearly defined and definite geographical and time limits for the “temporary sharding”, should they decide to use “temporary sharding”.

I want to see something definitively clear and defined like “sharding will never be used anywhere outside of the 1-10 zones or beyond the first 2 weeks”.

I do not want them to use any equivocation or leave any “wiggle room”. I do not want to see anything even remotely vague or open ended–such as “when necessary”.

11 Likes

Jokes on you they already announced it

1 Like