There will ALWAYS be a 'BEST COVENANT' in Shadowlands

Hard to know who is more delusional, ion for thinking they can balance covenants or the people that believe on him

6 Likes

Strongly disagree. The Venthyr story seems really compelling. Especially with the first raid being Venthyr themed. But since the powers are tied to the covenants, I will be Night Fae, a covenant I couldn’t care less about.

2 Likes

That is because you are choosing solely based on power, the powers -enhance- the story. It’s not meant to be a way to entice you to choose the story. Thats 100% a player mentality issue. You guys would enjoy it much more if you could get past that unhealthy mindset. For those of us not hyper focused on being 100%, these enhancements add to the story.

Look at the difference in popularity between WoW lore sites, and sites like IcyVeins or Bloodmallet. The majority of the playerbase cares about character progression/power more than the story.

4 Likes

And it sounds like that is a problem Ion is trying to correct.

I can’t say 100% sure because I’m not Ion, but when he talks about RPGs this is what it says to me.

There is an old saying: “play to your strengths.” The story has never really been a strong point in WoW. Trying to force it now by sacrificing one of the main strengths the game has (gameplay) is not the way to go.

No matter how they want this “meaningful choice” to play out. I think over 90% will just look up whatever is best for their character. You can’t change this community.

2 Likes

they should just make 1 covenant ability per class. then we dont need to choose play styles. why even have talents? just do it ffxiv style. get bored asap, but choice is a bad thing now.

1 Like

The more I play around with the mage soulbinds using the soulbind calculator on wowhead, the more I’m realizing that you can pretty much do similar things with each covenants just in slightly different ways. It looks like a significant portion of power is going into the conduits with some conduits having niche usage. Yes, there will still be a “best covenant” but I think it’s close since these soulbinds have some level of homogenization hidden underneath that’s not glaringly obvious. Even for the conduits, at least for mage, it looks like there are 2 core damage conduits that I’m going to be using for every soulbind and 1 additional DPS conduit that’s flexible with the content. What’s even more interesting is that by changing the flow of some of these soulbinds (which we know we can do freely as much as we want), I see easy switches from doing more single target DPS for raids to switching to a M+ specific flow.

1 Like

adapt, overcome, improvise.

1 Like

Yep, all about that META life.

1 Like

When did what? Covenants will not be able to be balanced for 2 years.

And it’s venthyr.
https://puu.sh/Gfuan/bdf1a0439c.png
https://puu.sh/Gfubp/9a62a9c3cc.png

How do spells affect the story? Cause it’s immersive? They could have done that by changing our spell effects based on Cov choice.

1 Like

M+ round-table right now have their eyes on Night Fae as the meta build. If you don’t have stealth or aren’t a night elf, you need to run night fae in order to get blink fox meld in order to do skips.

For PvP Venthyr looks pretty spicy though. A “free” teleport is almost always good.

Venthyr will be the new Horde 2.0 faction because of this:

Playing the others will be like playing the underdogs.

#PullTheRipcord

1 Like

Lol…

Dude, lol. Imagine being so behind the meta. Preach said this what, 6 months ago? 3 months ago at the latest? Night Fae is now considered the meta, since blink fox brings the “encounter cheese” utility, it brings the skip aspect, and Venthyr port, after folks have tested the dungeons, larely can’t be used to skip anything at all. M+ round-table said there may be some skips that are discovered in the coming weeks/months, but for now it looks like Night Fae is the front-runner for M+.

You’re probably right. One thing is for certain, these covenants will be unbalanced and then when Blizz throws a FoTM curveball…the rage.

I’ll just stick to my lore friendly Maldraxxus

The problem is that it will change every .5 patch. Drastically. And if its anything like talents half of them will be unusable because of how bad they are.

The reality is that the plebs don’t keep up enough to actually know what is best for any given class at any given time.

The simple truth will be that you stick with raider IO at low-ish to mid-ish play, beyond that you’ll look at whether people have the right tools to do big time-saving skips, and only at higher levels of play than that will you see active nitpicking.