"There must always be a Lich King"

You’re talking about moving forward. We’re talking about why it was said and needed in the first place.

Yes, and I stand by that. It’s a flawed argument by the NPC.

If there is no lich king, eventually the scourge will be eradicated.

So always needing a lich king makes no sense.

It’s not. Because when you’ve got huge swarms of undead wiping out life everywhere they go and creating more as they go, it’s better to keep it all under control than hope some small portion of the world survives.

I don’t think you understand how the Scourge works.

Wish this could have been alluded to elsewhere too. Only Kyrian get to see this.

1 Like

I think we both just have different beliefs in what’s acceptable to end something like the scourge lol.

Which is fine. For me, if there were undead on a rampage IRL and I was told we either have to deal with them forever, or work on wiping them out, knowing people will die, and that may include people I know or even knew, I’d still lobby to wipe them out.

No, you just don’t understand what the Scourge can do.

This isn’t about what is and isn’t acceptable. It’s about what happens when the Scourge runs rampant and how they can quickly overtake everything in the world if not kept in check. Scourge pass their undead disease onto others. Or did you forget how that worked?

2 Likes

apparently we didn’t need a lich king, we just needed people to kill zombies for a week and the threats dealt with /shrug

also, you’d think once the jailer was killed all the undead on azeroth would kinda fall over lifeless(more lifeless than usually anyway) since he was the source of their power.

It doesn’t just pass onto others either, if left unchecked or ignored it taints the land, plants and animals, and can even be spread through food (like grains)

That’s how we have the plague lands and the gross old scar running up through the Ghostlands and beautiful Eversong Woods

It’s also sadly why there are plague bears in the world :confounded:

1 Like

One problem is that the game doesn’t always do a good job differentiating undeads. Forsaken should have been called that from the beginning because Undead is such a broad term covering a diverse field of characters, Scourge being just one of them. Forsaken are not Scourge anymore. Death Knights never were, and neither are liches or banshees. Undead Death Knights don’t make any sense and the name is ridiculous but Forsaken players would have had a fit if they couldn’t have Death Knights so we overlook these things.

1 Like

That was Arthas’ father that said that.

As far as the “there must always be a Lich King” thing goes, that was before we knew WHY there was a Lich King in the first place.

Now that we’ve been to the Shadowlands and have seen the other side of it. we figured out there doesn’t HAVE to be a Lich King.

That original statement was based on the limited knowledge of the time.

C’mon, man. It’s really not fair to expect Blizzard to know all the ins and out of the lore of (checks notes) their own game.

Of course not. Perish the thought.

They are far too busy running amok, drinking and doing cubicle crawls.

1 Like

Agreed. Never did understand this one either.

1 Like

I think using the term “Undead” instead of Forsaken had something to do with the time the game was originally developed. Vampires were the big pop culture phenomena and it was good marketing to tell people they could be an Undead.

1 Like

The helm is destroyed and the Scourge is still (canonically) running free around Azeroth from the pre-patch. Plus the rift between the Shadowlands and Azeroth is closed. So they have to figure out a way to get the Scourge under control (as long as they haven’t forgotten that like many things). And since portals aren’t canon (like they’ve stated before), they have to have a story reason how we get out of the Shadowlands.

It was stupid in wrath and was literally pulled out of the nether to satisfiy human paladin/dk mains who were whining about Bolvar’s death

And yet we watched the Scourge run rampant throughout the world.

So yes, there did need to be a Lich King to keep the Scourge in check. Without that, the entire planet can be wiped out.

Go back and read my ENTIRE post.

I explained why this is wrong NOW.

There’s nothing wrong “now,” either. It’s still the same. Nothing changed.

I guess the uncontrollable legion of undead will just go work at Wendy’s now that theres no domination.

Or they are all finally free to realise what horrors they have rought…

With the magic origin of the jailer gone I would think they would be free or stop being animated…but then that would apply to the forsaken too would it not?

Actually I like that because it would also mean sylvanas lore wise can never and will never return to Azeroth as she would die on the mortal plain now as all undead.

Maybe forsaken get to become lorderon citizens granted life again?

Either way they have written themselves into a bit of a plot hole like the sword and they will most likely just laaaadeeeedaa their way outta the room and leave those elephants to fester…