There is never going to be another giant MMORPG

idk I think it will just be another ****ty korean MMO grindfest, just keep in mind who Riot wants to market towards.

2 Likes

It has Ghostcrawler in charge of it who led design during WotLK, so that seems pretty unlikely.

That’s a pretty huge leap of faith there… when they have shown nothing other than “we are developing one”. If it’s going to be a “pvp” focused MMO… good luck with that… Others have gone that route…

You do know that GS was roasted daily by the community back in those days…

If you get the chance to engage him in a discussion… tell him he is wrong about something that you feel he is wrong about… just don’t do it on a platform where he can ban you from it.

3 Likes

One thing I agree with is that players have changed since the early days of WoW.

Weather they have changed so much a new game like this can never be super successful I don’t know.

the cycle will repeat once vr technology becomes casual and efficient enough

bookmark this post unironically

1 Like

Oh they have definitely.

A large chunk of the people I talked with back in the early days of vanilla (when 100k subscribers was something they gave a game wide notification for) came from MUDs.

I don’t know how players today could function back in the MUD days. Scrubs used the telnet client, advanced players used Gmud2 clients… and then there were the pros… with the paid for Zmud client so we could write complex scripts.

2 Likes

I agree… right now VR tech just isn’t there yet. Also it’s not affordable for more than the niche player.

1 Like

Just gonna say one thing OP.

You really don’t know your gaming world, at all.

Similar with EverQuest. When you move from zone to zone, the new one has to load. On dial-up, that was at least a minute. WoW just loads as you go.

1 Like

Given how Riot loves to monetize their games with absolutely ridiculous prices, I don’t see it taking off any more then the other f2p MMOs.

1 Like

Heh… Loading Please Wait…
and if you were unlucky enough… you loaded into a train that was parked at the zone in point and had to quickly backpedal out of the zone or die.

More like no mmo has yet to capatalize on any innovation (wow included) and wow is a safe bet. They are all carbon copies of eachother

1 Like

I still have hope for Ashes of Creation and Pantheon of the Fallen.

Yup and let’s be honest, there hasn’t been a MMO that really popped off these last few years. The MMO market is kinda dead. The last one I know that had light was PSO2, and that’s also because people have been waiting 8 years for it.
Hoping PSO2NG is fun lol.

1 Like

To people saying MMOs are dead… please explain why/how old outdated games such as DDO still have a massive player base… AND can still charge a subscription. I went through EQ2, DDO, and ESO before coming back to WoW. All three of those former titles were highly populated.

I think MMOs just aren’t the flavor of the month anymore. MOBAs and Battle Royales have kinda taken the limelight. Devs like to go where the puck is, not where it’s going to be. If you remember back when WoW hit it successfully… everyone and their dog had a MMO; DC, Marvel, LOTR, D&D. And exactly the same thing happened with MOBA. And same thing happened with BRs.

Another issue, I feel, is that devs don’t wanna commit to an MMO. Servers, expansions, f2p vs sub. I don’t pretend to know much about game design, but I imagine an MMO is a lot more to chew than other genres.

I personally feel we are overdue for a new MMO and providing it’s good… it could be highly successful. I hope it’s a pirate MMO, but that’s just me.

1 Like

Perhaps there won’t be :man_shrugging:. One thing I’ve noticed when it comes to MMO’s over the years, they get overhyped, people’s expectations get too high then they come in droves & complain when those expectations aren’t met. I’m not a pessimistic person, but when it comes to media(movies, TV) or games my expectations will always be low. Rather be pleasantly surprised than hyped & disappointed.

Maybe. But it’s hard to deny both LoL’s popularity (especially in China, which has always been the moneymaker region for MMO’s) and how established the universe of Runeterra is.

Not to mention that Riot recruited like half of Blizzard so they’re incredibly heavy on MMO experience as well.

I don’t necessarily think Riots MMO will be “the wowkiller”, but they’re easily the closest MMO that’s been announced that has the right set of circumstances to be wildly successful.

1 Like

there’s just nothing new they bring but garbage like wow does. sure wow was great but far from it now everyone knows people just play cause what else is out there. the fact wow is still here and basically still the most popular says alot about the game industry in general lol. the mmo community is starving for something great and they ain’t getting it from no one and i’m hoping this new one brings something and y’all know what i’m talking about cause i just had enough of wow and bringing old expansions back sure ain’t doing nothing either its says alot about the crew they got and the sad state of developers that have to try anything to keep subs so ya. say what you want about acti but i’m sure enjoying cod way more again than wow lol slowly sliding down the toilet and just put subpar expansions out and don’t care. the whole mmo market is crap whether it recovers who knows.

The “WoW Killer” will be the end of the Pandemic.

2 Likes