Then and now

I can only imagine the crap people will fling at me for this post but I don’t care I need to vent it.

Then: I raided during MC and BWL, back when raid progression was that of tank and spanking the boss, while gearing up from each boss and using reps and professions to get different resist gear ect in order to build up to defeating the next boss.

Now: You have to do the funky chicken while standing on your head and rotating on your nose at a 90 degree angle while avoiding the shiny stuff on the floor, the insta things you cant avoid, running away from adds, not getting knocked from the world, jumping onto the airship and needing a real life pilots degree…

before you can even get 1 heal off where it needs to be

and right after you get that heal off you get one shotted because you missed the message that said do the above mechanic backwards while speaking in another language.

(This is how I feel mythic raid mechanics are)

On top of that if you can’t do these near impossible (to me) things without your brain frying in an instant… then you are not going to get

Mythic locked out mounts (the really cool looking ones)
Mythic locked out xmogs (the really good looking things)
Respect from others (you know people will tell me or think I’m stupid because I think that mechanics have gotten way out of hand and I cant do many of them)

So I don’t know what to do. I’m about tired of trying to climb a ladder that seems to be being covered with fresh oil every step I try to make up it.

I’m not having fun and I hate it because I love Warcraft…

and no I don’t want to go just play classic because I like the retail story and the direction that we have been and where we are today

sigh… ok I’m done ranting

Dear God I pray that Shadowlands doesn’t have an overwhelming amount of mechanics that I can’t seem to get right so I can actually enjoy raiding and dungeons again

21 Likes

Too many mechanics. To properly raid now you need to have a cybernetic implant.

18 Likes

I feel you brother.

I miss attunement. I miss resistance gear. Well, I hear TBC is coming next year on classic.

We can relive the good ol’ times one last time.

14 Likes

Do M+ then. Far less mechanics and the difficulty is increased like a slider when you go up in keystones.

I don’t see them making mechanics much easier. That’s what makes the fights interesting and is the primary reason wow is still the number 1 mmo.

1 Like

I think you have Facebook syndrome. All you hear about is the glory of downing mythic raid bosses. You see the mounts and the transmogs and you think “wow… these must be the best players in the world.” They’re not, not all of them anyway.

What you’re not seeing is the hundreds upon hundreds of wipes on the PTR and then again on live. You’re not seeing the insane UIs, macros, plugins, and voice coordination. Mythic bosses aren’t killed by out-of-this-world skill, they’re killed by drive-1000-miles-non-stop-from-Houston-to-Orlando-while-wearing-diapers-to-muder-your-romantic-rival level dedication. Mythic raid boss kills are carefully choreographed to a level that the Superbowl half-time show probably isn’t.

7 Likes

There is literally a boss where you have to dance as a raid.

So…

4 Likes

I know it makes them interesting and I can understand it.

I don’t agree with locking the best looking items in game behind what I am going to call an IQ lock.

Just like I don’t agree that the old tranding card game things are worth over 10 thousand dollars.

So you have things that you will 1. Never have a chance ever because you are a new player and things are gone out of the game forever. 2. Things I will never have a chance at getting because I apparently don’t have the brain power to pull off the mechanics. 3. I’ll never be rich enough or lucky enough to ride on a Swift Spectral Tiger.

I don’t care what people think about me with this either… I do agree on earning what I have… but some things are now unearnable to me and unreachable…

These also happen to be the things that give you the most fame in WOW and yes, it sucks to me. Not to mention it furthers the elitism attitudes.

That’s just how I feel about the game now and it sucks… sigh…

3 Likes

Things that are out of the game forever or are super expensive weren’t always that way, and that’s what gives some long time players a sense of prestige, which is something that is honestly missing from newer content. The best looking items aren’t out of reach from you either. Mythic raids will be easily soloable at some point or another, even if they are 6 years old at that point.

I think that difficulty design begins to reach a break point when the average players needs to use addons because there is too much graphical information and mechanics for you to keep track while doing your rotation.

I did not raid mythic this expansion, so I can’t say if it was this messy, but some fights back in WoD and Legion went a bit over the top with mechanics, IMO.

6 Likes

Actually there are some Mythic raids that you can’t solo because of mechanics that make it where you have to have another person or something.

I just went into mythic Antaurus (spelling) for the first time with 10 others and we couldn’t do the boss that has the ship mechanics and no one had a skip either.

So yea, Blizzard have made things that you can’t solo through during later expansions.

I don’t want to take away from peoples prestige. Prestige is something I’d enjoy. Like you said though there isn’t much of it in new content and I lost my ability to log into my first account years ago anyway so that character is gone forever.

I know I sound like the “unpopular kid” in freshman year because I am that guy in WOW and I was that guy in Highschool too. Lol

They usually change them once they are older than just last expansion to make them soloable. Otherwise the majority of raids wouldn’t be soloable regardless of if they are mythic or not.

1 Like

Anyone remember the Spine of Deathwing? This stuff does get ridiculous. These bosses should not require “carefully choreographed” maneuvers for a game that is supposed to be… fun. It’s becoming too much.
Just my humble opinion.

3 Likes

Hmm not sure I really agree but I see where you’re coming from OP. I’ve always viewed mythic raiding as merely a timesink. Anyone that puts in enough time into it could get cutting edge. If you can’t well then that’s really unfortunate.

1 Like

maybe a hot take but you probably shouldn’t even be doing MYTHIC difficulty raids if you arent willing to put in the effort to do what is required as a player and a group.

there’s 3 whole other difficulties where you can mostly slam your head against the wall until it breaks and collect your loot eventually and you won’t need to do these complicated strategies.

2 Likes

Certainly sometimes it starts looking like a vertically scrolling shooter or a George Lucas prequel space battle shot.

1 Like

Never said wasn’t willing. What I said was “these bosses should not require…”

Don’t mistake my message for saying your efforts aren’t deserving of an at-a-boy. My point, which is just my opinion again, is that the difficulty factor for the boss mechanics has been steadily going up over the years, and it probably isn’t needed. Get a tank, keep him alive while everyone works on the boss, until he pops like a pinata. Easy… Fun… and if it didn’t work, get more gear, figure out your class mechanics and try again.

1 Like

I would say it’s just an effect we’re seeing of blizzard wanting to make everyone happy, and while in SOME raid tiers I would agree, I think it’s generally been a positive effect tho.

super casual players (think vanilla players) can run through LFR/Normal and brute force through it without effort like in classic, people seeking a bit of a challenge can give heroic a go until you outgear it completely, and the more hardcore players can have their harder versions with mythic only mechanics and buffed heroic mechanics.

I would put the blame more on the TYPE of mechanics they add to some bosses, rather than just the fact that there’s more, would you agree with that?

1 Like

I do agree with the OP somewhat, that PvE mechanics have gotten needlessly complex. Been this way for a while, though.

2 Likes

I remember when MC and BWL were current, those were fun for me. When mechanics started to get generally complicated I realized I did not have the time to invest to learn them properly so I stopped raiding. I will jump into LFR to see the story each expansion if it is worth it. I miss raiding but also realize Blizz is trying to stay current with players who are just more adaptable then me.

I do think with what 30+ raid bosses alone each expansion, they are starting to run out of ideas for mechanics and have started throw the kitchen sink at it…

2 Likes

Well OP, it seems like you want to play an mmoRPG that focuses more on RP style fights that make sense.

For some reason (my opinion) WoW is turning and has turned more into a console kinda game and less like a computer game. I always saw the break between computer games and console games the way kids today see the break between computer / console games and phone games.

Console games are all about movement and jumping around. Computer games were about stats and number and fit with things like resistances…

2 Likes