The WrA Video Game Thread

To be fair, I’ve played the old pen-and-paper version, where you had enough plastic dice on hand to build your own Fortress of Nerdery, but I’ve yet to touch any of the digital games.

Any of the more modern games you would recommend?

To the surprise of nobody Epic screwed something up again and Anthem continues to be a dumpster fire of hilariousness. Just waiting for that day when the festering unicron that is EA finally puts bioware out of their misery.

Will probably happen after they ruin Dragon age with Nasal Live services.

On the Switch front they need to calm the hell down my wallet can’t take the hit of good games releasing

1 Like

What’d they do this time? Last thing I saw was them trying to put games on sale without asking the developers and them banning people because they don’t have a shopping cart.

To be fair, Epic is trying to out-Steam Steam with none of the charm, none of the fan-base and definitely none of the grudgingly built-up good will Steam has. If somebody is offering the same service for ludicrously low prices, odds are they’re either a scam or you’re about to get a shoddy service and no chance of your money back…

Can’t wait to see it all go down in flames because of the boardroom shenanigans responsible for the abysmal launch of the Epic store, the horrifically low level of security and Tencent’s infamy, and be a monument to all other would-be Digital Distribution Platforms on how to not do business and how to not treat both your customers and your developers, if only to see Tim Sweeny eat some crow and stop trying to pretend he’s done/doing nothing wrong.

That said, I was hoping it would make Steam consider altering their 30/70 deal with developers to be slightly more competitive and/or stop trying to squeeze blood out of a stone, but our Lord Gabe of the Hats is implacible, it seems.

2 Likes

Or any of the actual quality Steam as a storefront has. Which is impressive, Steam is about as bog-standard as it gets anymore.

“How do we out-do the competition?” “By making people want to shop with us?” “Haaaah, no, we just throw enough money around so they -have- to shop with us if they want their games!”

1 Like

People have been getting suspensions for “Buying too many games too quickly” (during a sale) tripping fraud prevention because they don’t have a shopping cart.

Oh and they sent some peoples information to other users on accident.

2 Likes

:clap: quality :clap: control :clap: is :clap: important :clap:

Sadly, Epic is being epic for all of the wrong reasons.

What really blew my mind was that they don’t even have a functional shopping cart yet.

If you can’t get something as blatantly simple as a freaking shopping cart right, then you are truly a failure and need to just stop forever.

1 Like

Oh that is a new one.

1 Like

Currently replaying Chrono Trigger, haven’t played it since it released on SNES. Just clearing up all the side quests before facing Lavos.

Also recently started a fresh game of FFVI which I haven’t played since about '99. Only a few hours in.

Once I finish these two, I’m going to find an emulator of Xenogears so I’ll have freshly beaten my top 3 all-time favorite RPGs.

1 Like

I recently got back into Skyrim! I finally… finally beat it (the main story, rather) after way, way too long. First got it on the PS3 back in 2011, and of course had to keep restarting because of the file save problems. Eventually got an Xbox 360 for myself, since the PS3 was not my own console, and started to close in on beating it and then got distracted by otehr quests and then just …other games. Mostly WoW. >_>

And THEN when Skyrim Special Edition came out, I of course bought it, got through Dawnguard, and then kind of …stopped playing for a while. But recently I got into it again, I beat Dragonborn and the main story! I waited until I got the achievements I wanted before modding the game too. And now I have a few mods and just play around with Inigo. It’s good stuff \o/

It’s actually kind of spun me out how much Skyrim’s been absorbing me recently. Trying not to get too into it since I don’t want to burn out or something. …though on the other hand there’s so much to do in Skyrim, and having the Inigo mod has really made my newest character quite enjoyable to play.

2 Likes

Baldurs gate 1/2
Planescape/Icewind dale
Neverwinter nights

Coming to switch on september 24th (Also other consoles but who cares.)

1 Like

I’ve jumped back into Monster Hunter World on the PS4 for a bit so I can recharge the thunky bits and get some more ideas for how people in the Highlands region of Sanctuary make their armor, weapons and tools considering the region is a highly unstable, extremely volcanically active region and things like mines and farms aren’t really viable except in a few small places.

So that means I have to figure out some Pathfinder-esque rules for turning Magical Beast, Least- Lesser and Greater Dragon-kin, Aberration and Dire Beast furs, hides, scales, claws/horns/teeth/spikes and bones into equipment on-par with low-to-high tier magical items without my players demanding to go to Deathworld to skin everything they can find for cheap armor and weapons.

Bleh.

How the hell do you catch fish in Far Cry 5? Following the tutorial does not work. Opposing the fish’s movement causes the line to instantly snap. Going along with it’s movement keeps the line green, but then you’re just doing that for an infinite period of time making no progress. Bait doesn’t make a difference, nothing seems to work.

What is up?

I just got into Styx: Shards of Darkness. It’s a stealth game and you play as a goblin rogue/mercenary. I’m not even through the prologue yet and I’m in love. It has interesting gameplay, the goblin you play as is super snarky and meta and cracks jokes and has great voice lines. The graphics are great as well. Definitely something I’ll be chipping away at in my free time.

My friends have also convinced me to stream Outlast because I can’t play it by myself and they want to watch what I see as I freak out in voice chat. I know that game has been out for a while but dang I can’t handle the scares.

1 Like

“LITTLE PIGGY NO NO LITTLE PIGGY GO HOME!”

The Outlast games are hilarious to watch other people play, terrifying to play yourself.

If you’re looking for a long game to shave years off your life with terror and paranoia, I’d heartily recommend Alien:Isolation because I have never played a Horror Game with an AI quite as devious and intelligent as the one they used for the Xenomorph. Its actually incredible how they designed the system so that the Xenomorph AI will actually back off one you reach a certain threshold of tension so people aren’t having heart-attacks every five seconds.

For those of you that missed it:

I prefer Markiplier for horror playthroughs, hes pretty funny when he’s genuinly scared.