The WrA Video Game Thread

x_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TuQGbXm3w

Oh look at that, Anthem’s a bust on launch.

I’m shook I tell you

Shook

I’ve been playing Final Fantasy X again. Getting good at Blitzball, getting irritated at the fact that the difficulty seems to consist of being annoyed because I’m kind of a dirty cheater and cranked the encounter rates up to max on pc version and just… left them there, lol. The game’s not even hard anymore! Just moderately annoying because status effects/flyers that can’t be bashed with a sword.

I made Yuna my uber-powerful blackmage -she rivaled Seymour during the first battle you have along-side him against the Sinspawn, almost, and Lulu is probably going to become my healer. Kimahri is basically Auron and Auron is not taking part in combat because who lets an old man fight? C’mon, now.

Going slightly mad after the ARK server I was on got shut down after the Kingdom and Raider Clans started going nuts about stealing everything and burning what couldn’t be carried off, but our new server is up, we’re just currently deciding rules.

After much arguing back and forth, we’ve finally set down some rules so people can’t run around with small armies of alpha-tier creatures like what happened on the previous server.

1 Alpha-Tier Carnivore.
1 Alpha-Tier Herbivore.
3 Flying mounts capable of carrying a player.
5 Non-Alpha Carnivores maximum.
10 Non-Alpha Herbivores maximum.
Shoulder-Mounted creatures and Dodos are exempt from these rules.

Also I specifically, out of the entire Server, am not allowed to have Troodons, which makes me saltier than the Dead Sea, but folks on the Discord pointed out I’d bred up Troodons that were able to solo T-Rexes and that just wasn’t fair.

So I’m going to breed an army of Compy’s and have them be my Weapon of Mass Destruction. Yeah, they might not have torpor, high health or nocturnal bonuses, but good luck targeting something that small and slender and that quick without an aim-bot.

Tribes can have a Main Settlement, a Mining/Farming/Etc Outpost dedicated to processing a specific type of resource and a Tertiary Outpost for storing un-needed Tames or excess materials to avoid cluttering the Main Settlements, as well as up to three Mobile Outposts built on Platform Saddles. Neutrals like myself are limited to one Outpost and one Mobile Outpost (so long as the dinos remain together, they are considered ‘one’ Outpost) on our platform-wearing Dinos to avoid cluttering up the map and preventing folks from building outwards from their Settlements.

Gonna aim for a Bronto as my Alpha Herbivore and build a mobile base on the platform saddle with the necessities for long-distance roaming with a pair of Paracers for supplementary stuff like a grill and other crafting stations I can’t fit on my house on the back of the Bronto, Ovis again because I am Sheep Guy, purveyor of mutton, wool and other sheep-related goods, probably six if I can manage it and maybe a pair of Kentrosaurus for close-range bodyguards of the Bronto and Friends team. Probably keep the bulk of the Ovis at the main base and keep two loaded up on the Bronto to make sure even if a random Alpha spawns and eats one of my bases, I’ll at least have some breeding pairs left to start over with something, rather than having to go at it again from scratch.

Carnivore wise, definitely heading for a Gryphon as my Alpha, a pair of Oviraptors to speed up the breeding cycle of everything else, a Thorny Devil to function as a mobile smithy and a pair of Thylacoleo (Drop Bears) as my other bodyguard dinos to keep the rest of the farm/convoy safe and to allow me to scale trees and sheer cliffs to get to places where a flying mount would be suicide or turn my beloved birbs into auto-gun bait. Keep the Oviraptors, Gryphon and Drops Bears at the main base to keep my good stuff safe and trust the Thorny Devil to assist the Kentros in keeping the Bronto Squad safe from harm.

Two Argentavis for long-range cargo-runs/airborne defence of the Bronto/Farm and a Pteranodon for egg-runs on Wyvern nests and/or rushing to ARK Drops to grab patterns/combat buddy for the Gryphon since their speeds are compatible.

AFOREMENTIONED ADORABLE ARMY OF DOOM aka the Compy army. Probably cap out at 10 of them at most so I don’t cause heart-attacks and that’s also the highest bonus I can get with that breed of dino. With that Pack bonus (5% damage/damage resistance per pack-member, capping out at +9 at 10-member pack for a whopping +45% to damage and damage resistance, combined with the 33% bonus to having packs of mixed genders for the Mated bonus) with the Mated Bonus and that means my little gang of adorbs will be able to chew up anything short of a mid-leveled carnivore or high-level herbivore on their own.

Can’t wait to sink my teeth back into a good server again, and this time since the Carebears are in charge of the Server and not somebody’s on-again off-again special ‘friend’ who has an obsessive lust for Game of Thrones-style leadership, we’re likely going to be far less likely to suffer people running over the map in gangs and burning down everything because people won’t trade away their high-level patterns for a bunch of shiny rocks or simple crafting mats.

On the other hand, every four months the Mods are going to be spawning in large numbers of triple-digit-level Wyverns and a Mod-controlled Alpha-tier Dragon so we’re gonna have a few settlements across the map and everybody is gonna belong to either the Redwood Settlement in the East, the Vikings in the North-West region or the Survivors in the South-West Tropics area. Gonna be fun to see how the Tribes interact since each Tribe will have easy access to some materials and not others, and will have to come trade with each other to sustain themselves.

Currently the agreed-upon meeting place for Trading is the Hidden Springs area, but currently the plan is for me to set up a ‘trading outpost’ there as my main base since I enjoy building large ‘villages’ and I generally form tribe alliances with nearly everybody simply so my Honor System Trading works for as many people as possible. Gonna be a hell of a time building a full-scale Trading Town for 40+ folks, plus building-sized dinos, and have enough space for everyone to put up their trading booths and displays. I can’t wait to try and build it up into something massive and then have to figure out how to defend it from a Swarm of Lesser Dragons and their Broodmother in four months time …

He’s only 35… approximately. He was 25 on Braska’s pilgrimage and only spent 10 years in Zanarkand. That’s not that old. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Auron is a badass and you should feel ashamed you’re making him sit this one out, especially considering his relationship to the two main protagonists and their fathers …

2 Likes

He’s an old man and he must be protected. Also I just like Kimahri more, so nyeh.

Even if auron -is- a badass and not -that- old.

On a more serious note, I honestly just wanted to try something different. I always use Auron and never use Kimahri - since both have weapons that do piercing damage, I’m going to focus more on the latter and not worry about the former, since there are no fights that require him specifically, as far as I remember - and if there are? Well, I guess that’ll add a little challenge back into the game since I’m an overleveled mess right now, lol.

1 Like

Any age over 20 is ancient by jrpg standards.

Like Steiner in ff9 is a hopelessly stodgy middle aged man and I think he’s like 30

Steiner is a lovely character, both to journey alongside and to watch his evolution from a jaded Knight desperate to save his charge and blinded by loyalty and narrow-sightedness into an actual hero in his own right alongside the rest of the crew.

I will admit cheering when the love letter debacle between Beatrix and Steiner took the route towards a happily ever after. If there were two people in that game that needed to have a happy life outside of constant battle and their former master’s endless appetite for conquest and dominance, it was those two.

1 Like

Also:

CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK

I wasn’t judging! It was mostly defensiveness over being both a huge fan of Auron and, well, 36.

I totally get changing it up. I tend to run FFX as the Tidus-Auron-Rikku show, swapping in others only when I must, so I get the need to try new things.

1 Like

It’s cool, I just love flawed characters that grow positively over time.

Also I just realized how dumb my blurting about ARK is, but I just love that game and the prospect of crafting an entire world, as well as being a part of a huge RP undertaking like that just gets my DM heart pumping.

So many evil things I can do behind the scenes to cause chaos and chances for the other players to band together and rise against the challenges thrown in their way.

I used a month of that Origin Premier to give Anthem a try.

~Combat’s fun. I’m playing the tanky mech and shield-slamming my way to victory. I also have a minigun strapped to my hand and big missiles on my back.
~Load times are awful. There’s also too many of them for a “seamless world.”
~Flight feels pretty cool, and being able to blast through a waterfall to cool the jets and keep soaring is pretty neat.
~Keeping track of enemies swarming you can be problematic. A minimap/top-down radar would be wonderful to deal with this.
~The game’s pretty. The world is a joy to traverse and blow up.
~Story’s meh. Generic save-the-world-as-an-outcast tropes along with an Evil Empire trying to control Scary Alien Resource.
~4 mechs to cover whatever kind of play you prefer. Elemental techspells, big beefy explosions, jack of all trades, roboninja.
~Changing gear absolutely blows. You can’t change it on the fly, you need to return to town and go into your Armory to change your loadout. You can’t just try out new guns/builds/etc without going home, changing your clothes, and going back outside.

Overall, I wouldn’t drop 60 bucks on this right now. It’s got potential, but it’s making mistakes other looter-shooters have already made and fixed which is just sad. There’s an Official Release Day patch coming this week, so we’ll see what changes, I suppose.

I love Ark. The only drawback I see to the game is that I know the Ragnarok map too well at this point and that makes it not as fun for me. If they had another larger map or dropped maps on a more regular basis, I’d probably still be playing.

So I decided to treat myself with buying Sega Genesis Classics for the Switch.

Best 30 dollars I’ve spent.

After a trial-run … I am denied my army of Microraptors.

I have been limited to purely non-combat ‘pet’ tames as my army of Microraptors I brought in from my Scorched Earth campaign ate somebody’s T-Rex in less than a minute.

I feel like the guy that wins every Poke-tournament but is disqualified because the protagonist had better hair than I do.

a microsoft executive apparently tried to defend Anthem despite its middle-low review scores and said reviews aren’t accurate

what in the world

2 Likes

See there’s your problem right there.

ur right i should have seen it coming

after having no idea what they’ve been doing with their xbox stuff for years they’re probably trying to gain favor so they can get some sort of exclusive for the next console

I’m having a lot of fun with Anthem, but I’m glad that I’ll only end up paying $15-$30 for it.