The WrA Video Game Thread

So I hit 50 in FFXIV last night and I’m still way behind on the main story quest despite ignoring side quests. Not sure if I would have been faster or slower in WoW, but as someone who doesn’t have heirlooms 1-70 feels so much less daunting than 1-120.

EDIT: Proper heirlooms, I think I have some 1-80 or 90.

I always appreciate MMOs where I dont feel like I have to rush to max level to enjoy the game.

I dont feel the need to frantically level in FFXIV to have a ton of fun. The only other MMO recently to make me feel that is BDO.

(BDO may be a typical suuuuuuper grindy Asian MMO but its freaking beautiful, and the one of the very few games that has managed to make just riding around on a horde engaging.)

The more I branch out into other MMOs, the more glaring WoWs nonsesical restrictions become.

7 Likes

WoW is a titan woefully shackled to ideals and machinations of the past, aside from extraneous circumstances it’s baffling how it remains as popular as it does compared to the raw technical competitors in the field.

2 Likes

Tomorrow my new game will arrive which means i’m going to spend all day waiting for it.

Agreed, but I’ve yet to find a game that feels as open-world as the 1-60 Azeroth experience. The invisible walls (especially around water) are probably one of my biggest gripes about FFXIV.

If your looking for a game world you can get lost in (as in open no walls) I’d reccomend giving BDO a look. Like I’ve said its suuuuuuuuper grindy and from what I’ve heard the cash shop is a little P2W (I wouldn’t know I’ve never done any pvp). However, the game world is huge, there are no walls, no instances (that I’ve found), no teleporting, and the only thing keeping you from going somewhere is whether or not going there will get you killed.

Its definitely one of my favorite game worlds.

1 Like

Anyone else wishing Anarchy Reigns gets backward compatibility with Xbox One? Or an HD PC release like they did with Bayonetta and Vanquish?

tbf you’re also about to hit the pre-HW quests in the MSQ which is, uh, a thing that exists. It’s like 100 quests and a point that starts to lose some people. But power through it because the payoff is really good!

Also

3 Likes

Tbh the edit is better than my post.

And with the above, it is an absolute slog if you aren’t at least moderately invested in the story. I started ff14 with friends and no real intent to care about the setting and let me tell you, I nearly dropped numerous times just suffering through the pre HW stuff because I just wanted my funky samurai sword.

But it’s actually pretty lit once you get through and i’ve really enjoyed actually being vaguely aware of the HW and SB story.

3 Likes

swimming wasn’t a thing until Stormblood that’s why rivers are like an inch deep

I played BDO a little and there were a lot of ideas there that were pretty appealing to me, and it was definitely fun to pick a direction and run to see what you’d find.

But dang the chat channels in that game made vanilla Barrens chat seem mature and polite by comparison.

Yeah it can get pretty bad which is why I turn off a lot of the chats in that game.

It’s my go to if I want some twitchy action combat.

I also love that there are some real old school RPG elements to the game.

(Such as needing to stock up on water/tea and a compass before going to the desert)

It is also, hands down, the most robust character creation I’ve seen in an MMO.

1 Like

It’s fairly simple to explain.

1- Someone makes a new MMO.

2- They release said new MMO.

3- Players rush to max level then complain there is nothing to do.

4- Players go back to WoW.

5a- Company lays off a bunch of staff and said new MMO slowly dies.

5b- Company invest in new MMO and two years later said new MMO finally has fairly engaging end game but the hype is gone so they don’t get the credit or attention they deserve because it’s no longer new.

4 Likes

It hurts because it’s real.

1 Like

then it is simple

WoW must die so that the genre can fead on its nutritious remains

3 Likes

I think you mean “desiccated and decomposed”

2 Likes

Remember, good things grow from :poop:

Manure is composed of animal droppings and it’s used to grow stuff, so yanno, WoW could get something worthwhile out of it still

Is SWTOR decent at max level? I’ve seen loads of people say the questing/story is good but I haven’t heard anything about what there is to do at level cap.

Not…really. When I hit max level in SWTOR I always just rolled a new character. The endgame is alts.

When there are eight class stories with at least two playthrough variants each, and in some cases five or six, that can keep you busy for a good long time. I’ve done all eight classes but I still can’t say I’ve played through every available story in that game.