The WrA Video Game Thread

On the RPG side of things, you’ve got Fallouts 1 & 2 and New Vegas
Baldur’s Gates 1 & 2 Enhanced Edition
Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

And of course, shout out to my beloved Troika forgotten masterpiece: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

1 Like

wheezing laugh

2 Likes

Overwatch SFMs have more story then actual overwatch.

3 Likes

question for people who still play: how bad is the flying grind? i kinda want to resub for the 15th anniversary stuff but not having flying seems like a pretty significant impediment this late into the expacs life cycle

mechagon isn’t so horrible because you’re guaranteed 850 rep per day from doing a very trivial amount of work + a couple hundred from whatever daily quests are up in the zone, which itself is relatively easy to navigate

nazjatar is a sick prank invented by satan to peel back the layers of your spirit protecting your fragile sanity from what lurks beyond the veil. you’re 100% at the mercy of the emissary and the zone is awful to navigate before flying (but is mandatory to get flying so ???)

the 50% bonus rep from world quests event is up for a few more days and it stacks with the 15% rep buff you get from the anniversary item so now’s a good time to do it

1 Like

Nazjatar is a reskinned Argus. I swear the God the zones are laid out EXACTLY like Argus, just with new skin and actually connected together.

And yeah, it’s a sick joke. I’m grinding out Nazjatar before moving over to Mechagon simply because I hate the zone and want to be done with it.

So how about that Death Stranding, huh?

Not sure if I’m loving it yet, but one thing I will say: Norman Reedus feels like a massive improvement on what Kojima was trying (but failed) to do with Kiefer Sutherland in MGSV.

I was concerned about my purchase of the walking simulator just because I couldn’t be certain without playing that a relatively empty gameplay loop and kojima’s brand of crazy but after playing for an hour or so I’m pretty alright. We’ll see if it holds.

1 Like

https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/12/fallout-76-dataminer-is-banned-from-the-game-after-reporting-an-exploit/

Man, Bethesda just keep unloadong that gun into its own foot.

2 Likes

Jedi fallen order looks lit.

It’s almost as if a company used to releasing sandboxes and historically relying on its fan community smoothing out the rough edges isn’t exactly equipped to deal with running a always online, curated experience in which total control is in the developers hands, not the player.

Bethesda’s discovered what happens to a game when they DON’T include a Creation Kit with it.

Yeah, fallout with friends certainly sounds like a great pitch.

For me? I was out the second they essentially announced no mods.

2 Likes

Fallout 76 irritates me to no end because there were a TON of great ideas within it. The Responders as an organization is BRILLIANT! Free States? A neat new lore bit where not everyone was blissfully ignorant of the end. Heck, even the Mistresses of Mystery were a fun little group (Though seriously Bethesda, if you want to do your own superhero game, then just do that. Stop burdening Fallout with the crap.).

Heck, even the concept of the Scorched (and the fact the Beasts were just reskinned Skyrim dragons) was interesting. Delving into the bioweapon origins of many of the Cryptids was fun too. And there were some legitimately fascinating locations to explore like the fairgrounds.

The problem was the fact Bethesda keeps trying to coax the Creation Engine into a server-wide framework and seemed honestly baffled that cracks started appearing in short order. What killed my time with 76 wasn’t just the fact I find the principle gameplay loop (Scavenge everything not nailed down to craft new gear to explore more places to scavenge everything not nailed down) tedious, it was the fact I’m running the best-damn-internet package in my area and I was still getting lag. The hesitation between input and action just drove me up the wall.

Well that and the fact the decision to make the game world devoid of all but robots meant that even by the first settlement, you’re pulled out of the story. Finding logs and journals of survivors is tempered by the fact you KNOW everyone is dead. Yet the quest log kept up the inane “Search for Survivors” nonsense long after even a character would have given up hope.

People give Bethesda crap for their writing but it’s honestly not bad by any stretch of the imagination…they just don’t trust themselves or their ideas. The Responders, the Free States, the Institute…all great organizations within the concepts of the Fallout universe. And Bethesda kills them all off, yet still clings doggedly to the Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave who - if I’m being honest - are two of the weakest factions in the setting entirely.

FFXIV released it’s Ishgard restoration patch today. It’s basically their version of the Gates of AQ but it unlocks a housing district when finished. There is, canonically, a snake pit to keep workers motivated. It owns.

Also the new Ultimate features Voltron but no one can get that far yet :v

1 Like

The sounds of crafting in the Firmament are deafening. Almost literally.

1 Like

I made a vid of our NA-first fate on Balmung earlier and it was hilarious chaos and sounds of MAX CRAFTING while people kept phasing in and out because of max object rendering.

My favorite part is having to stop what i’m doing and squat down in the district an hour and a half before the fate begins because people from off server are taking up spots.

1 Like

Dark Age of Camelot just release it free to play mode. Endless conquest.

Juggling more games. lol.

Just convinced a friend of mine to play Horizon:Zero Dawn because she was complaining there were no female antagonists that weren’t kleenex-bait anymore.

I’ve been trying to sleep and she just keeps texting me.

“Her features are asymmetrical! She has freckles! Her teeth are uneven!”

Yes, I know, a female protagonist that looks normal, and the world isn’t instantly set ablaze. Let me sleep.

On and on and on, let me sleep dammit. I pulled a 15 hour shift, I have an 18 hour shift today and I only got 4 hours sleep. Lemme alone.

“SHE’S IMPERFECT, THIS IS WONDERFUL!”

I am old and sleepy, how does one block calls on a dumbphone again?

1 Like

Just downloaded it to relive my first mmo experience from back when I was like 10 or something!

It is… really different? How come I can’t be a lurikeen anymore? I thought my ancient memories would easily guide me to tir na nog but I’m lost and not a little hobbit man as I once was