The World of Warcraft Forums should use BattleTags as well

I love how people insist threads they don’t like are spam despite cs people telling folks its ok to have threads on the same/similar topics.

Enjoy your night, Myzrym.

Thank you, again.

1 Like

That isn’t the problem, the btag system is pretty decent itself (Except it lets people message you even after you removed them) it’s that it allows your characters and other information to be tracked.

How can you sit there and continue to make up these fake arguments.

Removing a BTag friend removes them from both friends lists.

3 Likes

it was both but when they switched to the new forum a few years ago, this subject came up and since blizzard was using the same software they automatically wanted to just using bnet like the other forums - people complained they want character specific and so blizzard went to the bother of getting the software changed.

There IS a bug? Sort of? That allows that but only if you had them as a friend and one of you still has a private chat window open with them I think. It has been reported. So even after the friend removal, you have to close those chat windows.

I first heard of it only recently so it seems like a very edge case. That is the only report I have seen and I don’t know of any testing results about it to replicate it.

This thread covers it and there is a post by the same person on the Bnet app bug report forum. CS is aware of it.

2 Likes

IMO, a good compromise would be for an “also posted as” feature to be added. If someone has recently posted on a thread on a different toon, it should be clearly marked as such.

At the same time, saying no to something only because of a bugged edge case isn’t a very convincing argument.

Especially when fixing the bug solves it completely.

2 Likes

That addon was called Cogshanks and it was fantastic. It showed all the alts you posted with but nothing else. So no Btag or chars you don’t post with. Blizzard broke the forum functionality it depended on though. Long ago.

I want to second this and I have said something similar before. We all have a hobby in common, all want the game and forums to be fun and safe. What that is defined as differs, but we all have one common interest and goal. We may not agree on how to get there, but we have more in common than not.

4 Likes

oh wow, we are still going on about this lol.
its been a month, guess we are recycling topics again lol

1 Like

Maybe because there’s still a problem?

2 Likes

The other thread got derailed and toxic with arguing. So, yes, there is another thread. There are also some VERY long threads on other issues like tails for worgens or high elves.

If you find a thread problematic to see you can use the Mute function and it will take the whole thread off your forum view. To do that go to the bottom left of the thread and set the notifications to Mute. Poof! No more thread.

5 Likes

can you not to the same for the trolls you guys keep getting baited on, which is why this is even being brought up? lol

I’d just like to point out that it’s a level 55 classic DK who’s doubting the problem/

2 Likes

Agreed. Sorry if I’ve come across as intentionally inflammatory, I am abrasive when I disagree, but my goal here isn’t to harass or personally attack anyone. We all have life outside of this forum and game and carry around things that nobody here knows or understands. That’s all from me for now.

2 Likes

tbh if our mods weren’t a joke this wouldn’t even be an issue. they can see who alt switches lmao

im not sure what those topics have this but the other, original one was toxic bc those who wanted the battle tags were very aggressive so…not surprised

2 Likes

It is actually a lot more than “just trolls”.

• Trust level, post history, post count, likes/flags, are all tied to the forum account which is currently charname-server. Every time someone transfers or has a name change, it wipes their forum account to the start. Any new char they use, starts at zero. That gets a fair amount of tickets/complaints to CS.
  • Treating char-server as forum accounts means Ignore is only for that one char instead of all the chars on that Bnet account. It means people can, and do, make more chars to evade ignores and keep bothering individuals.
  • Char-server allows people to add you in-game without your permission, message you, find where you are, mail you, etc. Even see if you get a name change. Btags don’t. They keep anyone from talking to you without you giving them permission to add you as a friend.
  • Using multiple characters to abuse the reporting system. Each char has a set of flags, so when someone runs out on one char, they use the other chars to report the same person. Yes, it is against the forum rules and some people do get suspended, but it makes more work for the mods and they don’t catch it all. One Bnet with one set of flags greatly reduces false flagging. Same with a more minor issue of “fake likes”, although that is not really damaging.
  • Last, sock puppets and people switching chars to just make trolling threads. Those do cause a lot of disruption and extra mod work. It costs Blizz money to clean it up and it can interfere with attempts at honest discourse.

I don’t care if they do Battletags like all the other Blizzard forums, or a WoW single ID for the forums, it would all be resolved by changing the forum structure back.

Of course, nobody wants chars to go away or transmogs, so using those for the avatar is welcomed. It would just also denote the Btag/forum account name.

9 Likes

You paint a picture as if it was one sided. It most definitely was not.

6 Likes

Disagree.

Likely gana happen again too till Blizzard puts their foot down.