The Verdict is In: Mage Tower Overtuned/Undertuned?

It’s harder. Agatha has 150k health. My 50 Feral is doing 400DPS at best. There seems to be a disconnect.

1 Like

everyone and their mom was aware that clark and the contrarian squad was trolling when they said some of the fights weren’t overtuned. nevertheless it is satisfying to see blizzard confirm some of the fights are overtuned.

2 Likes

I think the primary culprit is the scaling. Especially given the possibility to cheese encounters with imbalanced gear or item enhancements. They probably should have hard locked people to gear load outs like others have suggested so it could be reasonably tuned.

1 Like

I’ve seen a LOT of players who beat it early 7.2 who are saying it isn’t the same challenge. I’m talking people who clear M+21 and have Mythic Sylv on farm. Am I going to believe them over a level 10 shadow… absolutely. Wear that term with pride.

3 Likes

Beat it naked, then come back and tell us it’s a matter of skill.

Lmao this is such a bad take. I completed it back when it first came out in Legion and I can say with confidence that it’s over tuned.

4 Likes

Kinda meaningless when there were two tiers of upgrades after the the mage tower’s release in Legion. It was definitely hard the first week (I think only one person finished the prot paladin challenge), but it got progressively easier. At the end of the expansion, I was one shotting the challenges on newly leveled alts with LFR Antorus gear.

As for the SL version, I finished three so far today (Fury War, Arms War, Ele shaman) without any timewalking gear. I understand that many might be harder than those, but it’s fun to actually have a challenge for solo content in the game.

As someone who tested the Guardian MT on the 9.1.5 PTR and was routinely making it out of the p2 in the limited time I tested it. It took me all of 2 seconds to realize it was overtuned on live. I went from getting 2 infernals max by kruul phase to regularly 3-4. This is due to the bosses health being stealth buffed, and the adds also stealth buffed by a lot. Right now the health values are inflated and should be set back to their PTR values imo. As for the dmg buff, that’s not as bad because I agree that Mind Rend was hitting too soft anyway on the PTR

2 Likes

If you need to farm gear from 4 years ago to complete some of these encounters its a sign.

1 Like

Guardian druid needs something like I’m not gonna keep spending thousands of gold on consumes man this is stupid. Like also have to farm old content and hope for rng from that. I already did that in those expansions. I just want a challenge I can do in my normal gear but lower level stuff gives you more stats. The scaling is awful.

what i think is being forgotten is all these fights were tuned with artifact weapons in mind, legendry’s different talents and the lot, i did mage tower in legion did it think first or 2nd week the problem with the fights right (like aff lock) you dont have the artifact weapon ability to help so you have to slow another way for example i think blizz should enable the legion legendary’s amd artifact weapons for the mage tower and we would at least have somewhat of better tuning for it

I still think some stuff still has way too much health. People that have agatha, the imps have more than triple the health compared to firemages. People that have the twins, some classes have double the health on the main guy of what frost mage gets.

Tank challenges still feel like they had a bit too much health on the caster and kruul because at 900 ilvl I never reached more than 2 infernals and 3 stacks on kruul in legion and now it seems to be the norm to get at least 1 extra on most tanks.

I’ve completed most at this point but it’s not really fun hitting over-inflated healthbars.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m not sure why they didn’t just treat this in a similar way to the Proving grounds from mop/wod, different levels of difficulty but the ‘big’ reward is still available if you complete it at all, thus allowing people to still get that special shiney by challenging it again and again to increase the difficulty.

That would have given it some replay ability, not made people feel like such a major thing that tons of folks have begging for back (see: werebear) as a prize that only a select few can get and the rest of us are just ‘bad’ at the game. I got silvers and bronzes with proving grounds back in the day so I wouldn’t say I’m a ‘bad’ player, but since then my body hasn’t really ‘aged well’ so I physically cannot play at that level (after ‘gearing up’ by dropping 80k on the AH for example that made a 6% increase on personal best in p1, before my hand shaking started to get bad enough I had to stop or I wouldn’t be able to wasd move even anymore) and I was kinda hyped about MT cause I never got a chance to play it before (see: rqq at resto sham kit retool at the start of legion, and then irl issues keeping me away till halfway through b4a) and I expected a challenge sure. I didn’t expect I’d need to be frame perfect and needing to prostrate myself before a shrine of Ion for good RNG or there not to be any challenge breaking bugs.

Finally got my hunter one down after 60 attempts. Gave me sensory overload with how many mechanics were flashing on the screen, so i turned off a few of the call outs, few tries later and I beat it. Lot of overlapping skills that require an order of operations, or even though letting some of them go, even when its not ideal.

Frustrating experience, and certainly didnt have that much of a hard time with it back then. Though i do admit i was doing it at the end of the argus patch, which is when i returned for BFA. (my break was from mid WoD to end of legion.)

We dont have artifacts anymore, and in some cases having the artifact ability would be worse than what was made baseline. Frostwyrm’s fury is a 3 minute CD, Sindragosa’s Fury was a 5 minute CD. Also what would you do with those abilities? Since it was based on the artifact weapon would you disable FwF and give people Sindragosa’s Fury?

People link the amount of attempts it took them to complete the challenge this time. Some are 100 attempts or more, that happened back then when it was first released as well. Fury was considered by some to be one of the hardest, but now people say its the easiest. If its tuned higher than it was, and it was designed around legendaries and artifacts, how could Fury get easier than it was? I know Crusader is a thing and it was healing for 2-3k and doing a lot of work, there was very little in terms of mechanics with Agatha. The difference between phase 1 and 2 are very minimal. Once you learn that its an add control fight with a priority in what to kill, it comes down to a fight of avoiding boulders.

Some people talked about being level 50 and attempting it. I wouldnt attempt Frost DK prior to level 58 because you miss out on a pretty integral part of the spec that you get at level 58.

You have to be able to understand what is going on and make changes based on what you are having trouble with. Getting gear from a past expansion isnt cheese, neither is using crusader. Thats just building your character for the challenge.

Bingo bingo

2 Likes

Bears feel this especially, because with the active and it’s upgrade only we’re missing out on alot as a 1.5 min cd and granting a 10% buff for the following

1. 25% damage reduction
  2. 1100 Thorns damage
  3. 25% damage boost
  4. 25% leech
  5. Loss of control immunity (not sure if this affects the pushes/knocks though)

That’s not including the passives

1. 5% armor boost
  2. 20% Frenzied Regen boos
  3. 12% barkskin cd reduction
  4. 40% Thrash damage boost
  5. 4% stamina boost
  6. 20% Maul Crit Chance boost
  7. Stampeding Roar getting stronger the more people it buffs
  8. 12% bonus to Surv Instinct DR (meaning it’d be a 62% reduction, not 50%)
  9. 28% bonus to mangle damage
  10. 5% bonus ‘gore’ chance (mangle clearcast)
  11. Ironfur grants 16% more armor
  12. Taking elemental damage can grant you 10% elem resist to that element for 15 seconds
  13. +2s duration to Barkskin and Ironfur
  14. Mangle has a 15% chance to halve your next Ironfur rage cost

And this is just ‘baseline’ full upgrade, not including the Cenarion Circle stuff for empowering all the druid artifacts (empowering just the claws gave 10% damage and stam and 12% armor alone)

TL:DR, at least for bears, we are GIMPED compared to the stuff, just from the claws, back then