The TIMESKIP! Let’s talk

Damn dancing Drae… :laughing:

Yeah, they might. We might even like the results. But I’m not betting the farm.

I think I misunderstood your post! Tynne wasn’t a character in Wrath. I made her when I resubbed.

If I recycled my last characters, sure, but I didn’t. I made a new one and leveled Tynne up.

3 Likes

I have one character and her husband that are due late this December. Unless written in backstory with that RP partner, we have to timeskip 3 years of their life.

This character here has several relationships, some more solid than others (All know about each other and are connected to each other.) It leaves us discussing several things like-

Do these two make it or do they break up?
If still together, what is their relationship status? Is one of them open to the idea of marriage again? Would another accept an engagement?
Do they have kids with the other person, or does that person have more children with another partner?

That’s just for personal life.

For his work-

What has the Argent Advance been up to in the time skip? Are people still their current ranks? Who has migrated away from that idea and left? Who has gotten promoted?
Who still holds Argent ideals but has greater priorities with the finding of the Dragon Isles?

It’s gonna be a bit of a mess.

3 Likes

Personally I am a big fan. The amount of constant planet ending events happening back to back is just insane. Remember, there was close to a 20 year gap between Warcraft 2 and 3. There needs to be time for the setting to calm down and adjust after these events. Personally, I don’t think they have gone far enough. I want them to acknowledge that each expansion being only a year long (with some exceptions) is much too short of time. Are you going to tell me that we fought back the lich kings armies, defeated the blue dragon aspect, and took down an old god all in a year’s time? No, and it’s ridiculous to think that is how it would actually happen. I want them to go back and add MORE time to these events, and some time between expansions. Out of all of the constant retcons they do, I think this would be the only good one besides axing Medan.

In regards to how it affects RP, I’ve roleplayed for quite some time both in MMOs and in tabletop and it’s nice to take a look at the character occasionally and gloss over some of the mundane times of their life. I don’t need to RP out every weekly meet up, dinner with friends, or family gathering.

4 Likes

As a Feral Worgen RP main, who’s my own canon is Feral Worgen live similar lifespans to real life dogs (up to 15 or so years old), it really puts a big spanner in the works. Thallanar was born shortly before the Shattering, so that makes him roughly 9 years old right now. After the timeskip, he turns 12, which is getting up there in years for a character like him. Then again, Thallanar is a Druid and can probably find ways to extend his lifespan.

1 Like

The events that happened in each expansion each took roughly a year. But there have been lulls all along, they were the canonical gaps between the release of the final raid of an expansion and the launch of the next one that happened in realtime. Since WoW came out at least, the timeline hasn’t been event, event, event, it’s been more like, event, year of quiet. Event, year of quiet.

This is a post from Danauser explaining it.

3 Likes

The issue is that the official timelines do not put any time between these events. It simply lists a year, and those two years are cuddled right next to one another. This implies that if there is downtime, it is less than a year. Burning Crusade is simply listed as Year 26, while The War against the Lich King is just listed as Year 27. We of course do not the details down to the exact month or date. But all officially published information (Included the immediately retcon’d chronicle books) simply has these events happening back to back to back with minimal downtime. Even in the referenced post, he references that BC is year 26 and that Pandaria at least starts in Year 30. That is 4 years for 4 expansions. 4 Years in which we explored all of outland, defeated the Lich King, Malygos, Yogg Saron, Deathwing, Ragnaros (Again), All of the Twilight’s Hammer cult, and stepped foot into Pandaria. Insanity.

1 Like

can’t speak, no mouth, inner screaming

1 Like

looks at FF14

Y’alls story calendar moves?!

5 Likes

Both sides I see have valid points on one hand, a time skip is a time for reprieve and reset for many players. Peacetime and long periods before the next big thing allows room for the player to do things for their character that would otherwise take months/years to reach.

On the other hand, it is lost time. One imagines that our characters just aren’t sitting around comfy doing nothing, a lot of stories might be put on hold or get glossed over, character development that would otherwise happen organically may end up being expedited. And it also is a conflict of personal canon between people are in loop of the timeskip or are not, guilds and such. One imagines that someone who just recently joined wouldn’t be just “the newbie” for three years straight.

2 Likes

As a Draenei, totally don’t mind a time-skip because what’s a couple of years anyway?

2 Likes

I am so not going to be processing that the timeskip has happened, to be honest. It messes with timelines of the short lived races a lot to have time skips. I’ll acknowledge it if someone else does but otherwise I’ll be handwaving timeywimey as I have been since forever.

2 Likes

I’m both iffy and all for it if that makes any sort of sense. On one hand we as players need a reprieve and it lacked sense that all of these events were happening back-to-back without it. Additionally for races without long-lives this messes with us further with an age scale up we might not even want yet for our characters. It is… Tricky to say the least.

2 Likes

What if your character is old as hell. A certified senior, even.

1 Like

They should begin considering writing their will and deciding who will be in inheriting their fortune.

I don’t really mind it.

1 Like

I’m quite excited for the idea! :smiley: A nice chance for the world to reset after so many world-ending threats in quick succession.

2 Likes

True, it does allow for a bit of a reset on things.

2 Likes

Azerothian Association of Retired Persons? My NElf is over 12.5 millennia old and doesn’t look a day over 25 :smiley:

I don’t think it’s going to really be noticed, or felt. Unless they retire certain characters or age up others. There’s nothing really going to indicate it.

1 Like