The Spreadsheet

https://massivelyop.com/2020/08/06/bad-blizzard-no-cookie/

sigh

:woman_facepalming:

I just…can Blizzard stop? Just stop?

Between the massive layoff a while ago despite “increasing numbers” and some recent scandals, I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that comes up about them anymore.

Okay, earnest question.

Can someone explain why they are underpaid? I looked at the spreadsheet, and a cursory glance suggests most of them are making a lot more than most people I know. Is it underpaid relative to the cost of living in Irvine? Or underpaid relative to similar jobs?

From what I understand, it’s both.

any developer in games is getting underpaid, the games industry abuses the passion people have for video games (especially premier developers like blizzard) to underpay their workers - there are always dozens of equally skilled, passionate young people willing to be abused to work on programming WoW or hearthstone or Diablo or whatever

LA has one of the highest costs of living in the entire world, so even people who make multiple times what others make in other states can still be underpaid. The minimum wage in California is $13, remember, and even that is generally not enough to live on without scraping the barrel.

It’s also worth noting that, if you look at Blizzard’s actual job postings, even “entry level” positions generally require at least five years of relevant experience at similar companies. So by the time you’d even be considered for a position at Blizzard, you’ll already be a veteran of the industry.

2 Likes