The Solution to PvP Gearing

A lot of people have suggested a WoD style of gearing for the next major patch.

However, I think the current PvP gearing system is the best system we’ve had in this game. It offers you the best gear for PvP which can also be viable in PvE but not optimal since actual mythic raid gear is better for PvE. This is actually a great system.

Now the real problem here is the current PvE gearing system. This gearing system is awful and needs to be updated. Instead of tearing down our great system for PvP, we should improve the PvE gearing system.

I would suggest that the PvE gearing system be changed to be more similar to what we have for PvP.

• Give raiders their own version of conquest points which they can accumulate and use to purchase a PvE set which includes items for every slot. It will have a weekly cap of 550 just like conquest and it will increase every week afterwards so newer players and alts can catch up.

• These items start at the same item level as the base conquest point items and can be upgraded using points similar to honor. These points can be gained by
    doing PvE content such as dungeons, world quests, and killing raid trash.

• Remove drops from raid bosses. Instead, players will gear out spending these PvE conquest points and getting loot from their weekly box just like PvPers.

This pretty much equalizes the loot systems so PvErs won’t feel like they have to PvP to get gear for raiding.

Alternatively, if you really want to divorce the PvE and PvP aspects of this game, you could just use a single currency for both the arena gear and raid gear so that players would have to choose between the two sets of gear but I think it would be a good idea to allow players to accumulate points for both to give them an incentive to experience more of the game.

6 Likes

Go ahead and check top raiders and top M+ players. Find me a single one who does not have a PvP piece. 99/1000 are practically PvP geared only.

In earlier days of Shadowlands, it was easier to get 2,400 in rated. Especially if you got full 184 M0 gear before M+ release. So now, to this VERY day, the second they get a PvP piece for Conquest, they upgrade it to 226 with zero hassle. And you can get 2 pieces a week.

This is not the way it should be.

3 Likes

So tell me. Which specs have versatility as their top secondary stat?

EDIT: Remember correlation and causation are two different things. These players use PvP gear because the PvE gearing system is garbage and is all RNG. Meanwhile the PvP gearing system allows them to get high item level pieces for slots they need due to spending currency to get items from a vendor. Updating the PvE system to mirror this will solve this problem.

All Blizzard had to do was bring Reliance back. PvP only stat that is a dead stat in PvE. This way, there is a clear cut between 2 vastly different activities and in order to do one, there shouldn’t feel obligated. Fine, no one is obligated. But the way community works right now, is that it sets obnoxious requirements for a rather simple content. A lot of players who are just joining struggle with gearing alot.

Sure, causation and correlation. Fair point. However, outcome is still garbage imho.

2 Likes

Versatility is basically resilience except that it’s not completely useless in PvE.

Versatility is better than resilience because it allows PvPers to use their gear in PvE content even though it’s not optimal. Meanwhile PvErs can still use their PvE gear in PvP even though it is also not optimal (plus they can get versatility gear from PvE).

This is literally a win/win situation. The only real problem is the PvE gearing system is horrible due to RNG. You can go weeks without getting an upgrade because of bad RNG. We should have learned from Legion that people don’t like their character progression being determined by RNG.

1 Like

I do not know every class bis stat list.
As bear, I know that Versa is my bis stat, so is every other tank.
As rogue alt, I know that versa is my bis stat.

Not going to be surprised of the majority of other classes benefit from versa a lot of as well. Yeah, there are some mastery bonuses, but from what I’ve seen and read, getting capped out on Versa is still pretty much the way to go, or in the very least is on par.

Resilience is what it was called and it sucked. People aimed for that gear because it was easy and it was useless in raids.

And before you go that was only a handful blah blah, the forums were filled with complaints about it.

1 Like

Versatility is good for tanks. It is good for certain rogue specs. It’s definitely not the best stat for most non-tank classes.

Even then, if versatility was the best secondary stat for most classes. You can just add versatility to the PvE gear you can buy using the PvE Conquest points.

Problem solved.

auto correct. mb.

To each their own I suppose. But people who did active PvP, were strong in PvP. People who did PvE, were strong in PvE. That allowed PvP’ers to PvP without having much need to PvE, perhaps besides a few off pieces.

I just wish they added badge system from the get-go.

1 Like

And they can still implement a badge system. They don’t have to ruin a great gearing system for PvP. Let’s improve the PvE gearing system instead.

Just remove the hard cap restriction of upgrading your gear to 226 with honor and just change it using conquest instead. That way you can still get the gear but it requires a lot of grind to do so .

1 Like

Why not just improve the PvE gearing system instead?

But this is what people are trying to tell you and you don’t want to grasp it. Historically people will take the path of least resistance to get geared and it ruins the game as a whole.

We have always had this gearing style, heck they brought back the vendors, how much do you need to get? I don’t understand half of these posts. They are all basically people who don’t actually play the game wanting more, and the players who earned it saying hey we did it, so can you.

And you can, without stupid resilience.

1 Like

the expansion would be over long before you were able to acquire the gear and upgrade it, not feasible, amounts gained would have to be adjusted.

1 Like

I agree. I guess it’s just old school for me.
In Wrath, Furious was Honor only. 232 with no arena req.
Relentless 251 pieces were Honor+Arena Points, that you could get just by losing 10 games. About 1 piece every 2 weeks, or if played a lot and won, got 1 piece a week.
Wrathful - Arena rating and even MORE arena points.

But yeah, if they made PvP gear cost conquest, there wouldn’t be such a big issue. But then you’d run into BFA issue of having to do PvE in order to PvP. So, I’d just say add PvP stat or some PvP balancing. I didn’t play WoD, but from what I have seen, it was the skill that mattered, not gear.

assuming that the people are not putting in time instead not able to join a decent rated bg group or 2s-3s, because blizzard castrated their spec or even class?..

also assuming those people that ‘earned’ it are not just butthurt they bought tokens with irl cash for carry and they would have nothing to show for it…

right, because the players that compete at high level could not care less if you gifted 226 to every player thats sub 1500 because they know they would never endanger their position on their ladder.

the only time it would affect them is when it comes to selling carries, has nothing to do with anything else at that point.

2 Likes

Or… they could just implement the system I am suggesting.

Conquest gear already requires conquest points to purchase. If you need conquest points to upgrade the gear as well, then it would take way too long unless they increased the amount of conquest you can gain each week significantly.

I do not understand why there are people who want to go back to bad gearing systems.

Outlaw rogue. Vers is best

And that is one spec out of how many?

elaborate on your take on bad gearing systems, im interested