The RP Community Megathread

Suppose I’ll throw some posts in here. Don’t know how comprehensive I’ll be in this first post, so if I never get on the council this time around might as well post some thoughts here.

I’ll start with zones:

Location is extremely important with RP. We have to pretend so much is there, or use other places as proxy. While that’s well good and what a lot of people and places do, it would only be more attractive to add more acccess and options to locations to RP in no matter how useless it is.

Examples in Hidden Details here so my big writing doesn’t frighten people:

Access to Battle Grounds Maps

Summary

A big worry I can see with bg maps being open is I suppose pvpers using it to their advantage to practice rehearsed movements in a competitive mode. But the catering already leans so heavily to PVPers, they likely don’t need any help at all.

We already have a couple of battlegrounds unphased such as Ashran and I’m not sure you would count Tol Barad. But these are two spots heavily used by event planners and RPers as an extended form of RP be it one on one, imaginary housing, events, guild bases and so on.

To add an option to phase into an unphased BG would vastly open up more places to explore and enjoy. So many BGs have a lot of wonderful nook and crannies, design and art, that you can’t really -enjoy- them in the 40 minutes to an hour or two you’re there clenching your teeth into shoving through the battle in the most tunnel visioned way possible.

By adding an NPC to the location of where the BG naturally is, be it in the world, racial captial or the scenario npc, would allow people to go to these places no matter how useless or unnecessary it may be.

It would allow for immersive exploration and story creation for dwarves, trolls, and orcs in Alterac. As well as Twin Peaks for the Dragonmaw and Wildhammer, two groups who I feel have been a little sidelined.

Island living, beach parties, camping, sea exploration on the Seething Shore.

Deep Wind Gorge for market places and guild recruitment. (Though, I actually have not checked the location this is suppose to be in if its a location that can be visited.)

But this goes for all battlegrounds. They can be used for anything, it doesn’t have to reflect the area its suppose to be. No one uses Ashran in its correct location anyhow! And its messed up Frostwolf Village is hidden behind a BG.

Dungeons and Raids

Summary

Many of the same sentiments above, but the ability speak to an NPC outside to teleport into an “phased” “unphased” version of the raid or dungeon. While RP can be done in raids and dungeons with a group, with a place like Ragefire Chasm and the Stormwind’s Stockades, you’re barring off interesting extended parts of the city that could actually be used and make the cities bigger and would open up far more player driven creativity.

This also brings me to several options that can possibly be done with raids and dungeons for RP phases.

• The ability to phase into a public use of the location, making it no different then zoning into booty bay and meeting up with friends.
  • The ability to speak to an NPC attached to that raid or dungeon and pick between four different phases. One being the world, and the other four being separate phases incase there is a party going on in one phase, and a guild event going on in another. This is to eliminate needing to be a raid or party and still allow outside people to join up without over lapping someone else’s event.
  • Creative Raids or Party. This is an idea I had recently, that isn’t fully developed. But this would be the ability to queue with a group for the sole purpose of entering into you’re own unphased version of a raid that is explicitly only for the people in your raid. This can be done now of course, but the creative mode will automatically remove every npc and event tied obstacle to open it purely for the purpose of exploring. No need to go through and clear it out first.

Island Expeditions

Summary

Probably the most upsetting of zones that we cant enjoy are these islands. Full of hidden lore, homes and interesting terrain that cannot be enjoyed. Opening up islands opens up even MORE locations to explore. With solo mode now implemented , I wonder how if this is a stretch to add.

The idea for my island expedition expasion would be to add a Zandalari (Or what ever the Kul’tiran version of this would be) sitting in small wooden boat right in the water next to where you would sign up and wait for an island. Upon interacting him , he’ll offer to take you on a trip to return to some of these islands for fun. After all the adventurers went and stripped them of their resources, not many people go to these islands anymore but still have a lot of land to explore. All that’s left there now are many of the animals. He’ll ask you where you want to go , and it is not determined what Island is up for PVE, every island should be available, and once you pick your destination you hop in the boat and load into an a cleared, unphased version of the island. He’ll wait there for you in the same location the Alliance or Horde vessel, but instead, it is a little wooden boat.

To return to Dazar’alor or Kul’tiras, you just simply talk to the npc and off you go. Much like how you visit Mechagon.

These will all be open world and will provide extended locations for story, events, exploration and world building. Plus, being able to better appreciate the work that went into making them and perhaps finding any hidden lore bits that might of been missed.

Suramar

Summary

Suramar is a bit of a unique situation, because it’s not phased like a raid or dungeon, but a very intricate and highly detailed city that is unusable and hard to appriciate without worrying about aggro, or seeing fel and demons ruining aesthetic. An NPC like Zidormi could be added just outside the bubble for her to show you the current liberated Suramar free from hate and violence. This would remove all world quests and quests from the area, hostile npcs, fel, demons, and anything associated with the Legion or Elisande. You would get FULL access to all of Suramar. General NPCs could be milling about to make it actually reflect the fact that it is an open and living city.

You would be able to appriciate and go on dates or outing with your high society friends to the arc-wine vinyard, marvel at the absolutely astonishing beasts in the Menegerie, or host actual classy parties. New vendors could be added with new items. New toys, pets and plushies. High society items to make you feel fancy. Possibly costing those mana rocks to make those relevant again (or not.)

The things are endless. And if those things make people roll their eyes and say “Well, I see where they put all their work in. Fix your trinkets, Blizzard”, then I’d say a job well done.

I’m in the minority here where I don’t want player housing to be the focus first. I know that is the easiest and quickest thing to think of that would give people more options to feel unique and personal - I feel that without giving players more options on their own housing should not be the first the thing to be tacked on.

I would much rather have more zones hidden behind swirling vortexes available for exploration first and the ability to visit and enjoy certain areas without worrying about pretending certain enemies or npcs are there. This makes the world bigger, creates more places for people to host events and expand the community. Housing is wonderful, but its a very a lonely venture even if you can invite people.

If not considered properly, housing will completely devastate the RP community. People will be holed up in their homes, only doing things in a small manner and never experience the world. I know that anxiety is a thing, trust me. And it’s okay if thats what you enjoy. The reality is still there. That housing, I feel, is what stands between a bustling world with people enjoying the world and meeting each other, and the community split down the middle. Disappeared behind a phased wall for their little home.

Sure, the novelty wears off and people head back out. Things need to be put in place outside of the homes. No AH or Bank in the home. No access to to profession trainers.

So first. Work on the world. Work on the characters. Pad them with lively things…and with a bigger world , who knows, more housing plots.

I should clarify, I’m not anti-housing. I just want it done right and want to see other zones opened up too.

2 Likes

I wanna play a bad guy by being able to make the choice to have my character do bad things. Gimme some agency. Blizz almost did something with the bfa Silvie loyalty quest, but that was one quest in a game close to two decades old. Gimme some more. Let it have some impact where my character’s story goes. This should not be a foreign concept in a rpg.

4 Likes

I’m going to have a lot to add to this topic but a couple of my top features:

1 - As a crafting leatherworker, please open up the ability to use the tents I can craft in WoD on any world map area. My disappointment level was off the charts when that happened. I was able to craft these great little tents and then NOPE, only on Draenor. Please let me craft them, use them anywhere in the world and sell them on the AH. Most of my characters have an ‘explorer’ desire in their story. It’s most unfortunate that I cannot go exploring and set up a camp with my friends, especially when the items ALREADY EXIST TO DO SO.

2 - As a database item nerd, please hire someone to start taking the ‘unavailable’ items in your database and put them onto loot tables or vendors. It is a criminal shame that there are so many amazing looking items to wear, but they are not accessible.

4 Likes

This is going to fall under harassment and trolling/griefing and the way it is looked at by moderators.

During the course of 2021:

1. I was trolled/griefed by someone with no RP addon multiple times over the span of a week and, I’m too lazy to check to be 100% certain, 3 tickets until he finally stopped. It was not just me, but it was largely me and those who interacted with me.
    Many of the ticket responses were clearly automated/copy pasted. I clearly indicated he neither spoke nor emoted and purely stood ontop of myself/RPers interacting with me using mounts and toys. I included screenshots. I also included screenshots of people, politely, asking him to stop in both public channels and whispers. It took until the third ticket, when I received a response that was clearly not automated/copy pasted (which was coincidentally after I tweeted it at BlizzardCS) for him to finally be gone.

2. I was harassed by an individual for putting them on ignore. I had a screenshot of them acknowledging that I had put them on ignore (from a mutual acquaintance). They would repeatedly throw a toy at me that can be used in stealth, without breaking stealth. It took around 4 tickets to receive a response from an actual person that actually understood the issue. I think the process would have gone quicker had I not mentioned RP at all.

In both instances I listed above, I got the distinct impression my mention of RP relating to the two incidents (did not reference it in my type-out above but I did in my tickets) made it difficult for the responding blues, even after getting past the automated/copy paste ‘put them on ignore and report them for bad chat’ (when I never mentioned bad chat in the first place) to comprehend the situation. I feel like the mention of RP muddles it somehow- like they are worried out of context IC posts are attempting to be used to generate punishment for the other party, or that they are confused and think that is being attempted.

I do not know how they can fix this beyond overhauling CS to hire more people again. I can think of providing training/notes on how RP works, fundamentally, and how to identify the differences between IC and OOC, but that still does not fix the problem of time constraints requiring blues to respond with copy-pasted or automated messages that fail to address, or even misread, the actual problem at hand.

9 Likes

Alright I finally have time to post my own thoughts.

Tourist Mode

I really like this idea. Being able to enter empty dungeons and raids would provide so many RP opportunities. I once hosted an RP raid, a 4 hour long event where we RPed fighting through a Void infested Ahn’Qiraj. I had gone in the day before and cleared the raid so we could do this. It was a huge success and people had alot of fun. Now imagine being able to use these dungeons and raids as RP bases. Scarlet RPers in the Scarlet Monastery, the Stormwind guard putting prisoners in the stockades, Horde military RP in the big base beneath Orgrimmar in SoO, etc. It opens up so many opportunities.

Playable Races

This request is a little selfish and anyone who knows me understands why :smiling_imp:. This is obviously a major topic though, GD has a number of large megathreads requesting various races to be playable. Adding in new playable races adds depth to the game and the player experience, and creates new storytelling opportunities. In particular, there are a number of highly requested races already established in the game and lore. It would be easy to add these races given they already have a backstory and a in-game model to work off of. Adding in highly requested playable races would go a long way in earning goodwill and increasing time played metrics. I know when Mag’har came out I spent so much time running around doing WoD questing as one. I wasn’t looking for achievements or transmogs or anything, I just wanted to be a Mag’har in Draenor.

Additionally, new playable races add countless roleplay opportunities for players. Arakkoa players RPing in the mountains, Jinyu players exploring the depths of the ocean (a part of the game I can guarantee doesn’t get much usage right now), Broken spending time with their people aboard the Exodar, etc. New playable races gives players plenty of things to do and increases time played metrics.

Customization

Customization is a big part of this game, and while great strides have been made, players want to see more. This was made evident when Blizzard announced no new customizations during SL and players got upset. Hair options, piercings, body types, are all different things that should be looked at to be included. Additionally, options of offshoot races should be included. Buff Trolls for Trolls, Taunka options for Tauren, Frost Dwarves for Dwarves, etc. This was already done by giving Sandfury options to Trolls and High Elves to Void Elves and Blood Elves. Players want more freedom with how their character looks and will be more inclined to spend more time playing not only to make that perfect look but also enjoy it.

Transmogs

Players like to play dress up. I like coming up with cool mogs for my different characters and more is always better. While it’s ok to have some cool unique ones in the cash shop, many unique transmogs should be available outside of the shop. Blizzard has generally done a pretty good job here, but feedback should continue to be solicited in this area.

Player Housing

Player housing is an extremely fun feature, and WoW has so many different locations to make this wildly successful. Cities, zones, there’s alot of ways this could be done. I personally feel houses should be their own instances. Furniture and decorations can be earned through professions, and special drops could be made available in dungeons, raids, BGs, questing, and other various activities. This is an extremely easy way to increase time played metrics and earn goodwill from players. By forcing players to engage in content to gather items for their house, we can avoid the WoD garrison issue where players weren’t leaving their garrisons.

6 Likes

One of the council people made this post with many of the ideas present here so that’s nice!

3 Likes

Honestly, class skins? Maybe colored or different particles for each class? They have done this before. Warlock green fire was perfect. We’ve had glyphs change how things appear (looking at you raven glyph for spriests), so it is not outside the realm of possibility. Time consuming for sure, but if each druid can have unique forms and colors then I think other classes should be able to have that same treatment. It’s high time priests were given a silver light, different shaman totems and colors for them since they’re mostly unused assets now, and so on. Perhaps combine certain classes to make prestige classes like in other RPGs. Some already exist such as Paladin being a Warrior and Priest. But what about a Necromancer? Instead of a new class, you can give warlocks a rot-type set of skills even if it’s just in color change. Already have half of it with Affliction after all. And this way it benefits not only JUST RPers (even though RPers are the designated audience as this has been something brought up multiple times by specifically RPers), it benefits everyone as well.

5 Likes

God I want to be on this council so bad.

My mind is full of endless paragraphs and ideas.

Because I have SUCH an idea for the Brawl’gar arena…

3 Likes

Rommal and I from Moonguard are compiling a Document with all of these cool suggestions as well as those from our own community. We hope to try and share it with everyone tonight. If not this weekend. When its shared we hope you all make suggestions that we can add to it. I have already made contact with a Council Person that is there for RP and they are open to using the Doc for suggestions!

If you guys have suggestions at this very moment feel free to reply and Ill add it if its not already there! <3

4 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you for putting it together! Would you guys be able to add some things to it from this thread if they aren’t in there already?

I’m still in the process of trying to find people to talk to from ED to get their opinions as well.

1 Like

This isn’t a bad idea. To be honest, I’ve fantasized for a few years now to compile a comprehensive document of my own of all the things I’d like to see looked at. I’ve even went as far to try and see what popular game news sites I could submit an article to.

I’ve been sitting on this hypothetical project for years because my goal was to hopefully make a physical copy as well. But those are dreams too big to think I could hand it off to someone.

Only reason why I haven’t started on it because it’s a lot of work, and requires a lot of research regarding some of the more irl culture related things.

Although maybe now is a good time to work on it. I just dont want to put so much work into something and then be too scared to share it with everyone or it go completely ignored.

When I work on things. I work on them. I tend to try and put as much detail as possibly, and I know that I write a lot and might deter readers. But all I want is to leave no room for others to misinterpret my direction or leave a window for “ah but you didnt say this…”

So who knows…maybe I should work on this now.

2 Likes

I havent read through it all, Ive skimmed for the most part. But Ive added anything I saw wasnt on the list. Im still editing the main part of the Document but once I am done I will read through the entire list.

2 Likes

Hope you don’t mind the quote. I just want to expand on the same topic without lacking acknowledgement to your reply. Book incoming, my apologies for putting your name on it too, Auhgag.

As a note, I either do not touch on ARs or I lump them in with their ‘original’ races (i.e. Mag’har and OG orcs). This is because, barring Vulpera, I believe that the AR and their ‘linked’ race should share customizations completely.

Book Within

All Races

1. All races should receive tall/average/short heights and slim/large/muscular builds.
  2. Customization centered around classes. Magical limbs that are arcane/frost/fire, void/light, nature/death and robotic.
  3. Cult of the Damned style customization for non-Death Knight members of the Ebon Blade.
  4. All races have the option for neutral hair colors: black (black and blue-black), blonde (dirty, light), brown (light, medium, dark), grey, and white.
  5. All hairstyles are shared. Presumably the limit would be ‘all female hairstyles are shared between all females of all races’ but that already unlocks a swathe of options.
  6. At least basic jewelry options for all races regardless of male or female, and all races, male or female, should have tattoo options in at least black, grey, white, red, green, and blue.

Humans, regular and Kul Tiran

1. Vrykul customization. Vrykul tattoos, hairstyles and scars. The tattoos should be split into face/torso/legs and scars should also be split into facial/body. New jewelry, too.
  2. Drust/Thornspeaker customization. New hairs, tattoos, scars, jewelry and limb options. Both/singular arms/legs with the ability to look like the petrified/cursed bark of the ​Drust/Thornspeakers.
  3. Customization based around the other human kingdoms. Stromgarde, Alterac, etc. While there may not be many surviving members of the kingdoms left, who’s to say others will not represent them?

Dwarves

1. Frostborn. Muradin left Velog in charge all those years ago. Let them join the Alliance, fully, and provide the customization for players to make Frostborn of their own. Skin tones could be white, grey, different shades of blue and purple.
  2. Earthen. Magni is a walking, talking, crystal. Allow players to make their own mineral dwarves. Have multiple options for mineral/metals, or even just partial. Maybe a clan of dwarves has begun to follow in the footsteps of mechagnomes? Now there’s an idea for a questline exploring the relationship between (mecha)gnomes and dwarves…
  3. Dark Iron. They have yet to receive their expanded customization options-- extinguished beards, fully engulfed beards, more tattoos (facial tattoos and add body tattoos), additional tattoo color options, eye colors… The list goes on.

Gnomes

1. Fully mechanized. Allow the option for mechagnomes to be fully mechanized, a la clockwork mechagnomes. More metal color options in general, and the ability to do just one/both arms, one/both legs, no/multiple head mechanizations. Colorful hair colors that the original gnomes have, more colors for implanted eyes.
  2. More customization in general. More hairstyles- some crazy ones for female gnomes, some ‘normal’ ones for both, some more retro-styled. More facial options, and not all with wide-eyes for female gnomes.

Night Elves

1. Expand upon tattoos, jewelry. More, proper facial tattoos for men. More colors and options for both. Body tattoos for both. Feather and floral adornments for both. Jewelry made with bones/teeth.
  2. Night Warrior. Starry limbs/gradients like Tyrande’s in that semi-infamous cinematic (a toggle). Glowing blue-white eyes.
  3. More ears. Droopy ears, tiny ears. Ears with a glowing, celestial gradient at the tip for Night Warriors.

Draenei

1. Horn jewelry. The Lightforged received them, why not the originals?
  2. Forehead crests for female draenei.
  3. Shamanism is an important facet of the Draenei. Add some customization reflective of that history. Jewelry with stones, bones/teeth, and leather.
  4. Broken. Add customization that allows for playable Broken, both male and female.

Worgen

1. Shared customization. Human-form worgen should have access to the same customization as original humans.
  2. Tails. Long, short, curly. Long fur, short fur.
  3. Snarling. Three options: full snarl/small snarl/no snarl. Full snarl should be more akin to the original face (not alpha, released), small snarl as it is now, and no snarl should show no teeth.
  4. Foxy. Slimmer builds and heads to allow for worgen more similar to alpha female worgen.

Pandaren

1. Expand upon customization. New eyes, faces, hairstyles, hair colors, fur colors, and jewelry (and jewelry colors).
  2. Celestials’ Tattoos. Multiple options for various tattoos (facial and body) that represent the four Celestials.

Orcs

1. Fel Orcs. Allow us to, finally, make red orcs. All things gnarly with their bodies included as options.
  2. Shattered Hand. Allow for the option for an orc with an amputated arm, with or without the blade.
  3. Blademasters’ tattoos. Self-explanatory, in truth.

Forsaken

1. Skeleton. Allow us to go full calcium.
  2. Lightforged Undead. No rot, healthier hair colors, more neutral hairstyles.
  3. Full rot. More hairstyles that are “these clumps are just what haven’t fallen out yet”. The option to be missing an eye/finger(s)/toe(s).

Tauren

1. Mouth-breather. Provide closed mouth options, tauren have been breathing with their mouths open since their new models.
  2. Expand on customizations. More tattoos (body and face), jewelry that reflects their shamanism (gemstones).

Trolls

1. Expand on tattoos. More options, more colors to better represent the expansive history of the race.
  2. Dark Troll. I know Blizzard made canon in BfA that the Shadowtusk were wiped out. But they were always an elusive race, and extremely good at being such, and at combat (given that they were trolls.) I find it hard to believe they truly are gone. Since they are seemingly with the Horde (Zandalari) now, provide the option to make them better. Glowing white/gold eyes reminiscent of the kaldorei would be a neat addition as well.

Blood Elves

1. Expand on customization. More over the top hairstyles, more subdued hairstyles.
  2. Hand jewelry. It’s extremely low-res on female blood elves and looks awful.
  3. More jewelry. In general, but especially for male blood elves.

Goblin

1. Expand on customization. More faces, eye colors (gemstone eyes would be brilliant), hair colors, jewelry, and tattoos. Add rings and the option to go full bling.
3 Likes

Don’t ever apologize for tagging me in anything, I genuinely do not mind at all. Thank you for the quote and the response! Really well written and I agree with all of it, especially the Fel Orcs :smiling_imp:

I’d take it one step further and say give Draenei Eredar options. We already have half-demons and Void Elves running around, I don’t think Fel Orcs and Eredar would make much of a difference.

I agree, wholly, 100%. I only forgot to add it because my brain is going a million miles an hour and I already started thinking ahead to my next post. The addition of Eredar should also add the option of Draenei warlocks in my opinion, but I also think all races should have the option of every class at this point so take that from me with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry but you’re the victim of my next book, though it is much smaller. Again- I quoted because I do not want to fail to acknowledge your post on the topic as it’s the first one I see on it (I skimmed the thread) but it activated the part of my brain holding these ideas.

Book 2: Eclectic Boogaloo Within

All Classes

1. Cosmetic Glyph Books. Inscription can now make, and sell, books on the Auction House that change all of their spells to look like any related school of magic. In essence, Holy and Disc Priests and Paladins can make all their abilities look like Void magic, Shadow priests can make all their abilities look like Light magic. Druids can make their abilities look like Death magic, etc… To prevent confusion during PvP, these cosmetics will be disabled for anyone not the player. There is also the option to make glyphs only for specific spells, if across the board changes are unwanted.

Warrior

1. Spellblade. Arcane/frost/fire/Light/Void skins for warrior abilities.

Warlock

1. Fel no. No more fel, no more demons. Warlocks can make their abilities look more similar to a mage or shadow priest’s. In the case of the former, their minions can now look like various arcane/frost/fire creatures. In the case of the latter, void creatures.
  2. Metamorphosis. Allow access to the old (although visually updated) metamorphosis form, both the purple and fel-colored ones. It is purely a flavor ability.

Monk

1. Celestials. Allow all specs of monk to glyph their abilities to the different celestials if they wish to- Brewmaster can use Yu’lon and Mistweaver can use Xuen, for example.
  2. No more Celestials. Allow the ability to overwrite the appearance of the Celestials entirely and allow for Light and Nature-wielding monks. At least, cosmetically.

Druid

1. Druid forms. Forms are no longer race-restricted outside of PvP. Additional color variants are available for all, as well as the inclusion of Fel, Nightmare, and Death-based forms across the board.
  2. Celestials. Allow druid forms and abilities to mimic those of the monks’ and the Celestials’. Forms inspired by the four and the ability to change spell appearances to mirror them.
5 Likes

My only problem with red orcs is that we do have red orcs, or…they use to be red orcs. To be red is to be at a mindset so fel raged thats hard to function. Which is why all the red orcs are on draenor, or why grom and his warsong clan had to be helped to get out of that second dose of fel they were tricked into taking again.

Any red orc taken in by the Horde would likely be given the Illidari cure that was further developed after the orc who was working on it passed away. So we actually do, canonically have fel orc (they are just green now). They wouldn’t be a welcome sight really among the Horde, and if they were they would be heavily pushed to the side until they can be helped…which leads me to…

However, a fel orc demon hunter class is not out of the question…as well as a draenei demon hunter class…with customizations that can be minimal enough to look like a passable orc with some oddness due to the increase in fel since that is not something that goes unnoticed. Because I’m all about a way! Just, a way that I feel works right in the universe. I also have some quest based options that would allow you to become a fel orc through a quest that would open up that customization for you later…

But I’d much rather see more cultural things. Perhaps I’ll make a post some time later on what exactly I’d like to see customization wise over all and for the orcs.

Ok so I think I have every request so far or something that someones request applies to. Excluding the massive post about individual customizations for each race. That will take some time.

2 Likes

I actually see someone has, also I would like a bridge in the barrens and if we get that, I will never ask for another thing.

5 Likes

Added to the doc!