The recent change to Hand of Gul'dan

You now have to be facing your target to start, and to land the cast Hand of Gul’dan.

I don’t understand why it was necessary to ad another disadvantage to demonlocks. Spastic melees gets another free escape from our dmg and rampup, next to the disruptive anti-cast/high mobility toolkits we already have to play through.

I think this change was completely uncalled for and I would ask to get it reverted.

5 Likes

Tbh, i’ve never had a problem with having to see the thing i’m casting the thing on. Kinda makes sense…

1 Like

I knew I wasn’t crazy when I felt like I didn’t have that problem with HoG before the patch!
Yes, it needs to be removed immediately. The spec is already a turret there’s no need to make it even less functional.

But no, this was clearly a priority over fixing the known bugs like Felguard running back to us after using an abiltiy unless on aggresive, or only gaining one soul shard if you open with Demon Bolt instead of 2.
Or a needed buff like making the Demonic Core from Dreadstalkers get to us instantly. (If you don’t know why that’s a big deal, the buff from the Shadow’s Bite Azerite perk comes immediately after Dreadstalkers die and only lasts 7 seconds, meaning after we gte the Soulfires we have maybe 5 seconds to use them).

2 Likes

This in a nutshell.

it’s not that it’s hard, it’s that it is so ridiculously easy when you don’t have to. Doing Phase 3 on G’huun for instance, with gaze, as Affliction feels AMAZING compared to doing it as Destruction solely because you don’t have to face the thing. Makes multitargeting just that much smoother.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my first post that my opinion is 100% from the perspective of playing demonology in ranked arena/PVP.

It’s pretty safe to assume that this change doesn’t have that much of an impact in PVE.

2 Likes

Bad change, terrible for pvp where the Melee circle jerk continues to blow our buttholes out.

Even in pve the need to not face the cast get like a unique opportunity for the spec during its rotation, and was particularly nice to have for blinding mechanics where you must face away from the boss, or add.

3 Likes

This change is terrible for arena. It’s the most frustrating thing to cast hand of guldan on a melee class running figure eights around you constantly. Even if you follow them sometimes the cast doesn’t go off because of latency.

I’m hoping this was an unintended change and gets fixed soon.

3 Likes

Just adding my 2 cents to this so hopefully in the very slim chance it catches someone’s eye and they revert it :stuck_out_tongue: it was one of the things I loved about hand of guldan and gave me that very little edge over other spellcasters when I have to turn away from the boss for a fight (ghuun etc). Please change it back!

ETA: with the subsequent and eventual removal of all our baseline dots I believe this is an even more important and overlooked concern~