The PvP grind in Shadowlands versus prior expansions is too much

I am back after not playing for a year and in the catch up process. When I first started a specific amount of renown with the covenants, a PVE gimmick, was required to upgrade your PVP gear further. I was sort of ok with it but not enough to continue my subscription. I am close to getting to 70ish renown and upgrading PVP gear has increased to up to 7 or 9 which is absolutely absurd.

What makes matters worse is what little PVP gear I had at the start of the expansion is not even upgradable. Does that mean when next season starts, if there is one, people will have to repeat the same process? Its like the current system only exists to keep fools queuing for BGs so all the try hards and people who are already geared get their enjoyment while everyone else suffers. If you are Alliance, it must be even more unbearable.

1 Like

LIke you even have to ask lol.

they didn’t even give season 1 gear the pvp boost.

177 gear fresh off vendor is better as it carries the bonus.

I’d say they were being nice letting trinket set keep the bonus. But part of me is rolling up some tinfoil. they forget to remove season 1 trinket from the bonus granting list is that foil fat. made it to live and too late.

All of the grinds in Shadowlands are excessive. The main one being the unskippable campaign quests :joy:

Gear should never be a reward in pvp because the rich stay rich and prevent new entry.

2 Likes

WoW devs don’t play WoW, it’s just a 9-5 job for them.

4 Likes

I thought they nailed PvP gearing in WoD. Why can’t we go back to that?

Currently it often isn’t even worth grinding out your honor gear because if you’ve completed the Archivist Codex rep grind, you can just get ilevel 233 gear from that. A lot of gear in Korthia has good stats for PvP (the ring dropped by Consumption, the cloak dropped by Relic Breaker Krelva, etc.)

The current PVP system is so weird, it’s like they looked at over a decade of PVP design choices and took the worst parts from them.

All they need to do is make it how it was in WoD. You have a chance of gaining aspirant gear from BGs, you get your honor set and earn conquest as you go. You have scaling that gives an ilvl floor and an ilvl ceiling so gear still matters but no one is useless. There was a surge of PVP participation at the start of the expansion because everyone was in the same general ballpark and even though some classes were overtuned, it was still fun.

Oh yeah and let us buy the prior season’s conquest gear with honor points. Not just ensembles, the individual pieces. Even Legion allowed us to buy ensembles the season right after, and for Cata/MoP/WoD we could always buy the prior season’s pieces with honor for mogging purposes. PVE’rs can get the raid gear of the prior tier, why do PVPers need to wait until the end of the expansion and are limited to only a class locked ensemble?

3 Likes

Fortunately it looks like they may have gotten the memo (sort of) and are increasing honor gains by 40%.

Still seems a little low, but it’s a start.

I still think upgrading is just obnoxious, but this feels like a losing battle.

This will mostly help players who want to upgrade rated conquest gear. I don’t think it will be more than a bandaid fix.

People still complained like they are now, mainly higher rated players saying they should be rewarded more since people that were 1.2k could have the same gear as them. That’s what I recall anyway

It’s really tough spot. Rewarding the good players while making the average player happy is pretty tough, especially when they constantly change how gearing systems work.

To some the reward of skilled pvp is not dying.

While eve offers the chance of riches….reality is many targets are running the same modest gear as you. Now you can drop a target with nice expensive gear. That is not the norm in my experience. Carebearing paid my pvp fees. Way too many drop cheap crap lol.

You will make say 10 mil off the 5 tech 2 modules they dropped.

Your reward in eve pvp is more often than not….flying away in your ship. And not a pod. That is a good pvp day in eve lol.

1 Like

I always thought that was silly. The more people that get “high rated” gear, then the greater the participation in rated play.

Also, high rated players already have rewards that the average or casual player may not easily attain. These are usually:

• Mounts
  • Titles
  • Tabards
  • Illusions
  • Elite transmogs

It honestly doesn’t sound that difficult to implement. It was wildly successful in MoP and WoD with similar implementations.

4 Likes

Agreed. High skilled players get rewards already. Giving them power is unhealthy for the game.

When I get beat now, is it because of their power or skill? How do I discern which factor. How do I learn to play better?

Competition in arenas and rbgs should be about skill and comps. Not power.

1 Like

Yes. Unless they have a 180 change of heart, players who currently have upgraded 1800/1950/2100 conquest gear will likely be starting next season with an ilvl advantage due to blizzard timegating honor gear ilvl so that pvers don’t cry about having to do pvp and new season conquest gear having a weekly cap

Season 3 should be the same as season 2 in terms of early season advantages unless they make this season’s max level conquest gear purchasable pre-season for honor or somethihg

1 Like

A better than current compromise between “gear should matter!” & “gear should not matter!” we already had in the video game for the majority of World of Wacraft’s existence.

It was one Honor set & one Conquest set, no Upgrade system. You bought your Honor piece & it was immediately viable, and as soon as you got your Conquest it was immediately the best in game for PvP purposes. Not 105 upgrades to still be mediocre. It allowed us to have competitive alternatives in an acceptable span of time whilst still having some resemblance of a real life.

W̵͇̜̙͍͉̺̫̆̇͂̅͜h̶̡̥͍̋̄̉̀͑̏̆͠ͅy̵̭̞̹̬̞͉̮̙̬̌̈̓͆̉͝ ̶̞̥͕͙̾́͒͛̈́̃ḏ̸̢͇̖͖̔͒̑̐̓́̚͝ì̷̹̖̠͎̬̟͍͉̓d̸̢̹̮̦̞̖̖̯̜̀̿͆̋͋̉̄̈́̏ ̸͈̌̄y̵̰̑o̶̠̫͕̰̠͍͍͋̃̽̿ͅu̶͉̱̙̱͉̰̰̝̔͋͋̅͗̊̈́̈́ ̷̮͈͖̻̫̩̖̪̺͠r̷̤̻͇͔̻̘̅̍́̈́e̴̛̲̤͙̺̹̭͒̄͘m̵̛͍̝̃̄̇͑̔̄̆͠ǒ̶̤̰͙̘̾v̵̠̻͑̀̊̄̕͠e̴͎̒̂̓̍͛͐̃͘͠ ̸̩̣̭̱̠̅̓̃͘͝͝ĩ̷̫̃͆̾̈́̉̆̃̍t̸̲̰̝̱̞̻̣̱̖̳͗?

1 Like

PvEers didn’t want to have to have 2 sets of gear. PvEers also complained that people could get gear to start in PvE too easily.

I don’t remember anybody complaining about wod gearing during wod, aside from the fact that there could have been more stat combinations to choose from.

Wait. We have “high rated” gear now, and participation is cratering. The more ranks and the higher rating, the more people give up on PvP. Unless you don’t count most people who do PvP, who have always done unrated PvP.

Unpopular take : bring back Legion templates.

Just let players adjust whatever stat they want with a fixed budget.

Remove gear from PvP entirely.

1 Like

They should do that in unrated PvP anyway. They really botched the implementation of templates in Legion.

The core implementation was fine. It needed knobs to adjust stats and no ilvl scaling and it would have been perfect for the most part.

1 Like

You misunderstand me my Tauren friend. We have select few players with high-rated gear. Selling rating is also rampant because it leads to greater rewards. Queuing into sub 1600 brackets, and you see such a disparity of ilvl, because even though some players may have conquest, it is not ranked up enough because it is tied to rating. Add in the fact that it is difficult to break those ratings to rank up, and it’s a complete mess.

Only way to fix this, in my eyes. One set of Honor gear, One set of Conquest gear. PvP should not be treated the same way as PvE (rankings in gear) because it isn’t PvE. Players are fighting other players, not dragons, liches and monsters.

Secondly, PvP gear should be BiS for ALL Player v Player combat. I believe Warlords did it right with following the path of MoP (one honor and one conquest set, with elite set being recolored and not a higher ilvl). Warlords scaled Honor and Conquest gear to an equal/greater ilvl than Mythic rating gear WHEN engaged with players, but had a much lower base ilvl than Mythic and even Heroic raiding gear when it came to PvE content.

Let’s go back to that. Thanks.

3 Likes