The One Thing Wrong No One Is Talking About

Every day I see a new post here about how:
Blizzard removing this emote
Blizzard can’t balance specs
Blizzard etc. etc.

But what about how bad the zones are? They are all dark, gloomy, and bland except for bastion which just blinds you. If you had to ask someone what their favorite place to hang out would be I would bet no one would say “I would love to go chill out in Maldraxxus and stare at the gray and green theme of the zone” or “I would love to go to the Maw so that I can stare at gray and blue”. Let’s not even forget that Oribos is one of the worst hubs thematically:
Vanilla/Cataclysm- We had Stormwind which was a beautiful blue, white, and some orange thrown in there which reminds of a true old time city that felt welcoming. Then the Horde had Orgrimmar which was a nice orange tint in it and was inclosed to make you feel security.

TBC- At least Shattrath had all the different NPC’s and different variations of color compared to Oribos

Wrath/Legion- Dalarn was one of the best hubs ever created, it has the homey feel to it with nice calming colors and lots of businesses gathered. There is not much that can come close to Dalaran

Didn’t play MoP-WoD so can’t say there

BfA- For alliance Boralus felt like a typical city on the docks, but then you turn up your view distance (rip fps) and you get one of the best views from any hub out there, I would imagine that going to the top of Zandalar was pretty much the same (never played horde in BfA)

TLDR; Zones are bland and not anywhere good enough to entertain us, and oribos looks bad compared to others.

9 Likes

back in MoP it was the vale of eternal blossoms, each faction having their own base in a golden box canyon.

…i… was’nt max level back in MoP, but all the folks on my friendslist were constantly there.

also, in WoD we had stormshield and warspear. there was’nt as many folks playing, but that’s where most of’em hung out… well, there, and their garrison. mostly the garrison.

2 Likes

I missed the memo about the one mogged shoulder can you explain it

When you press to mog your shoulder there is an option to turn it to one one side on the bottom left

1 Like

… no i know that

I mean every pvper is wearing one mogged one hidden

Is it protesting something?

Honestly, I have had the same sentiment for a long time. Shadowlands just doesn’t feel very homely like in any of the zones. I think they could have made some of the Venthyr towns more homely and just create more cool spaces where people can chill or RP.

1 Like

I think thematically they sort of fit with the concept of Shadowlands. That said I don’t really care for any of them either.

My bigger issue is with leveling in the zones themselves. You can do the story over and over and over completely on rails. Or you can do threads of fate which is pretty much grinding mobs for 1 or 2% each.

I get there are other ways to level and some folks probably like the options available but as an open world alt leveler as what I like to do most Shadowlands kind of sucks.

3 Likes

Oh, IDK I just did it for the memes of having a bad mog

1 Like

I actually do enjoy hanging out in Revendreth. The vibe is pretty cool. The music, the NPCs, the gloomy castles and the lighting.

I enjoy AFKing in Sinfall. There’s little benches and chairs, too.

I guess outside isn’t that great, but inside Sinfall and Castle Nathria, it is awesome.

Ardenweald is a pretty zone. I would say it is up there with the more unique zones, like MU Zangarmarsh, or AU Shadowmoon Valley.

But yeah, Maldraxxus is too ugly, Bastion is too uniform and bight, Oribos is functional and surgically sterile in the worst way, the Maw is like a more hellish yet lamer Mordor, and Korthia is sort of just bleh ruins.

2 Likes

I like the visual of the zones. All five zones fits the theme of each one and are beautiful in their purpose. But as a explorer player that loves open world content, the fact all zone are floating lands in the middle of nothing and apart of each other, destroy my immersion, no metter how pretty the zone is.

Also, Oribos is bland and boring. I miss Boralus and Pandaria Shrines so much, my favorite hubs .

4 Likes

Well, I actually love Rivendreth, Korthia, and Ardenweld.

Opinions like this are subjective.

I love Bastion, it’s gorgeous. Ardenweld is soothing. Revendreth is amazing, love the architecture!

I much prefer Oribos to either of the Dalarans and hope we don’t have that as a hub again in the future.

Shattrath is ok, a bit drab.

The views from Boralus and Dazaralor where fantastic but didn’t care for the convoluted routing.

As for Stormwind and Org, I like them better after the Cata revamp. I wish the Devs wouldn’t force us to hang out there as the only capital cities that have portal rooms. If they were to update and add portal rooms to the other remaining capital cities I’d much rather hang out in Silvermoon or even Thunderbluff.

I wanted to mention that, but I wasnt sure how to describe it, and my post was already long. But yeah.

There is something a bit odd about how they are all floating in the middle of no where, apart from each other… it’s weird.

Like, Outland had that floaty rock aspect, and regions you need flight to get to, but it didnt feel as disjointed, because you could fly the length and breadth of it.

2 Likes

Says all the zones are ugly, doesn’t mention Ardenweald… a zone so stylistic it actually destroys most player’s GPUs.

Maldraxxus is the only thing I like about Shadowlands.

1 Like

I think it is just poorly optimized tbh. Also Ardenweald does look nice, but it is 1/6 zones that look good. But even after that it wares off pretty quick

1 Like

I like all of the SL zones, for different reasons.
Revendreth is probably my favorite, love the giant castles and the aesthetic, although I wish there were larger areas that didn’t appear like they were in ruins. Almost the entire zone feels like a giant ruin, which is a shame. Love it though, especially now that we can fly.

Ardenweald is my second favorite, lots all of the colors and creatures and the vibe there.

Korthia is third, although I find myself getting slowly tired of doing the chores daily. I jump through alts so I’m behind on rep, but getting there. I just wish doing the dailies and a handful of rares was enough to get the renown, but I have to hunt for treasures and wait for other rares sometimes, unless I want to come back a second day, haha.

Bastion, it’s ok, I don’t mind the brightness, but I find it kind of boring, and not a lot there. I’ll have a few alts join the covenant, but I kind of avoid the zone if I don’t have to go there for a calling.

Maldraxxus is nice, on certain characters, like my DKs and other horde characters, but otherwise I don’t care for the zone much at all. At least all three callings there go rather quickly.

The Maw, soooo much better now that we can mount up, although I kind of wish we could have left the option to have the jailers minions come after us, or a way to turn it on and off because that was fun, sometimes…although most of the time I prefer to just chill and do things.

Torghast, I mostly avoid outside of natural progression quests. Someday I’ll give it a serious go, but as a mostly solo player, I don’t enjoy it much.

Excuse me, dark, gloomy and bland? Come to Ardenweald, where you’ll find everything is glowie blue blue blue.

1 Like

I think the SL zones have some of the best zone art Blizz has done so far. The issue is that there’s not enough diversity within the zones tbh.

1 Like

I agree. Remove the Shadowlands.