The Odd Myth of the Night Elf Golden Decade

She can’t comprehend people playing Night Elves for any reason other than the same reasons she does.

11 Likes

this right here, I dunno how many times I was told I am not a real nelf fan, in her discord when I was in it

6 Likes

What you left out was who kept calling you a Night Elf fan anyway despite our continuing disagreements.

You want to continue to tell me about cherrypicking?

Why does that not surprise me. Probaby filled with sycophants…which you aren’t.

I created 2 Night Elves (Druid and Rogue) during Wrath to go with my original character (NE Hunter). Why? Because I like Night Elves and wanted one of each of those classes. I didn’t do it because I’m completely in love with them.

I did it because, for one, Night Elves were the druids back then, basically, and I liked how Night Elf rogues looked. That’s all. It wasn’t because of the lore.

Plenty of other people created Night Elf characters (female mostly) because hot elf babe ‘Look at me dance on this mailbox for gold!’.

5 Likes

you didnt do much to stop it

I also have quite a few various characters created not because of the lore but because I had a fun concept in mind and I liked aesthetics.

I am maining Horde, but I did created quite some Alliance characters, because I wanted to try them and try out different concepts.

Sometimes people pick characters just because of how they look in gear (And now IMO Zandalari are quite a pinaccle of that example :stuck_out_tongue: ) but also animations and racials who can be more useful for certain combo.

3 Likes

As you are aware and should share with the class here, I do not police, as a moderator, content that is not reported according to the process defined in Section 3 of the rules to the server, except in extreme circumstances.

Those rules were available to you - I pointed you repeatedly to them. New members receive an automated message directing them and encouraging them to read said rules. It is not my fault if you felt that the disagreements you received did not rise to the level that warranted that action - or if otherwise you chose not to go through that process.

You might also want to share here that plenty of people wanted me to turn moderation against you, and I never did for the same reasons.

When I first picked a nelf back in vanilla I didnt pick cause of lore, I picked cause of looks, lore is what I fell in love with later

3 Likes

I’d start by saying that if this is true, at what point do we accept it as the status quo? As pointed out by Zarrin: the Alliance to have to spend a decade of expansions that basically just tell you “you picked the wrong faction!
When do Night Elves have to accept this is the race they’re playing and that it has changed from what it was before? And, if not, then clearly they should at least not use such arguments regarding the Horde.

This is ignorance, plain and simple. As someone who knows a lot of people who played back then, played Classic now, and who all had a significant amount of private server experience, this is not true. A HUGE amount has been learned from 2005-2019 compared to 2005-2006. People were still figuring things out and testing them in 2019 as well.

I’ve specifically brought this talking point up to the people I know in as unbiased a manner as possible and they all reaffirmed what I thought. The idea ‘I think they would’ve figured it out sooner’ is just not true.

:thinking:

12 Likes

I have a male zandalari paladin and a male blood elf paladin. :kissing_heart:

Of course. Watching the herd fight amongst themselves is half the fun.

1 Like

Same with me and the trolls. Ironically my first character was belf beause I wanted to have a mage and my friend advised me that they have best options for that, but when I enterd Ashenvale and I saw badass troll with bigass pink mohawk and tiger by her side I knew I have to have those. It was the coolest thing I ever seen. And I was not even bothered that trolls didn’t have any big city hub to own.

And this is how I rerolled.

2 Likes

I’d start by saying that if this is true, at what point do we accept it as the status quo? As pointed out by Zarrin: the Alliance to have to spend a decade of expansions that basically just tell you “you picked the wrong faction!
When do Night Elves have to accept this is the race they’re playing and that it has changed from what it was before? And, if not, then clearly they should at least not use such arguments regarding the Horde.

I don’t use such arguments against the Horde for the record, nor do I think they should have to accept the post-Cataclysm model either. As I’ve indicated before, you can acknowledge multiple issues at once. In answer to this question though - Wrath is a serviceable enough jumping off point. We hadn’t yet descended into the muck of ubernarrative storytelling, and we weren’t trying to humiliate anyone’s investment by this time.

Edit: This doesn’t completely answer the question - and is indeed a partial misread. Accepting something as the status quo isn’t the same as accepting it as what the game should be doing. Conflating the two is an is/ought fallacy - and again I’m going to assert that the nominally best situation is close to the one in which we found the game at its peak.

Regarding your comments on the learning curve, I wouldn’t expect to see a complete learning process take place within a year, but I would have expected to see movement in that direction, even if it was just a little bit. I didn’t really see it.

Eh, in Kyalin’s defense, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her say that horde fans should accept the current status quo either.

5 Likes

Sure. That’s why I tried to use ‘they’ in general.

I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to do-so for a lot of reasons. Information spread, age changes, why people are even playing Classic compared to why people played Vanilla.

2 Likes

The last of those I wouldn’t call a learning curve effect. I’d say that’s a different effect entirely, one probably driven by increased focus on a “raid or die” mentality. Regarding the prior two factors, I’d expect to see a year of that information spread and age changes - and some movement. Again, I just didn’t.

Ultimately it is feeding into why people are making their decisions, whatever you want to call it.

And I think you’re just overestimating the circumstances for the sake of the argument. A year of very little information towards a lot of young people/teenagers who don’t necessarily care about it anyway. Compared to a group of older people with a significant amount of information who care a lot more about it.

I’m not sure I agree with your implication that people back then were all just teenagers. I think you had a mix of demographics just as you do now, separated by fifteen years of churn (older players leaving, younger players entering).

Regarding your former point, no question that it’s feeding into decisions. That’s why I included that factor as one of the three that I think is mainly the driving force behind the shift, but I don’t think it’s all of it. People rarely pick a race for just one reason, and when we see that much of a dip - and such a concentrated dip, I don’t think we can conclude that it’s all down to one factor. Rather, it’s a series of factors working together.

Night Elf presentation, marketing, and lore, I assert by way of these two analyses, is one of those factors.

I’m absolutely not saying they were all teenagers. I don’t know if you can collect that data, but I can only say that at the start everyone I knew was a teenager or early twenties. And all the vast majority of people I know playing Classic now are late 20’s or early 30’s. A big issue I’ve heard about the MMO market is that there isn’t nearly enough churn. That it is hard to get new players like that involved compared to the now older generation that grew up on them.

Sure. I would just place the other factors higher. But obviously that’s speculation.

2 Likes