The newer wow art direction is too hectic

I would agree that they’ve lost the feel of the original art style. Of course it couldn’t stay low poly/low res forever but they’ve fundamentally changed how the game looks even beyond just modernizing the graphics.

All 4 dragonflight zones are the best ones they ever made

2 Likes

I like the art better now.

Idk. BfA they did some really good zones and there were places you could go to just chill, along the gold coast road up in the mountainside outside of the pyramid.
I think the place is called Village of the Vines.

It’s very beautiful. DF has a few of those places as well.

Just make some of those extra objects not stop me on my mount please, thanks.

Kind of have to disagree. The fidelity might look good but it shouldn’t be the only thing to focus on, especially since the styles of the zones are kind of muddled for how often busy they will make the zone looks.

Despite Grizzly Hills and Azuremyst Isles looking straight out of a Ps2 game, It still holds up pretty well because of it’s simple style. I can look at it and go “Oh, the alaskian looking place” or… “Oh the blue forest island”.

Asking for places to be redone in the same way as Dragonflight to WoD, is like asking A WoW remake in the unreal engine where everything lost it’s style and only has fidelity to make up for it. Something i and so many other people don’t want WoW to be personally.

It often makes me wonder why the people who only care about graphical fidelity or charity in games, are playing WoW or MMO’s for that matter since their famously known to be behind in fidelity anyways.

1 Like

9/10 quality troll work here. You have the skills.

1 Like

its an objective direct analysis of the evolution of the world of warcraft visual style that other people have echoed right here on these very forums

the only person trolling here is you boy.

I guess someone accidentally fed you word salad.

3 Likes

“word salad” aint the speed of light son try harder :rofl:

Pretty much by definition, there is nothing objective about your personal preference in an art style…

2 Likes

modern art is subjective, the average person can’t differentiate between a 4 year old’s drawing and a picasso

academic art is partly objective, no one ever accidentally painted like Bouguereau

I kinda agree and disagree here OP. I don’t think it has to do with the visual art style though. That solemn peacefulness came from the emptyness of the zones and the general questing and story experience and the comfort of nostalgia.

Vanilla leveling didn’t have a story, not like the modern game now has. There were little pockets of story here and there but nothing that really drove the game play. A big open place like the Barrens was just mostly empty, you had to go out and explore it to find the story in it, and even then the story was mostly pretty thin and required a lot of travel time to take in the zone. So it was unencumbered by any need to rush and get to the next group of quests. It could just be peaceful.

The moden game is the opposite. The zone is bult to serve the big over arching story instead of a bunch of little stories made to fit the zone. So everywhere you go you are railroaded into pushing that big story forward. You can still find the solemn peaceful spots but you have to look for them like you did for story back then, instead of them being 70% of the zone.

1 Like

It’s not the modern art style that bothers me so much, but zones really are smaller than they used to be, so they’re also more densely packed. There are very few places in any of the new expansions where you can just sit and relax for a while - except in some of the new cities.

Classic is that way →

but then the graphics kiddys will come onto the forums and cry that it looks like minecraft. we get at least one thread a day about how ‘awful’ gear looks.

Madraxxus skies looked more cleaner than that of Bastion0

1 Like

Don’t those WoW in Unreal engine videos get a lot of traction and positive feedback?

One of the biggest parts of MMO’s is world-immersion and feeling like you’re lost in this fantasy world.
You can’t have that when you see 2D trees or NPCs with 5 pixels used to define their facial features.

It really doesn’t mean anything, especially since alot of these videos have WoW look pretty generic and boring looking and looks like something somebody throw together with some unreal assets just for quick views, like those fake remake trailers where it just features a lot of nothing but walking and seemed to be animated on the same budget as a dunkin donuts small coffee. Oh not to mention, they all think it’s the still the xbox 360 era where desaturation and brown filters were cool because “realism”

This one however is the only good one made in Unreal Engine. :point_down:

And by god, it looks actually fantastic. Sure, it’s overwatch’s art style, but by god it actually fits pretty well with WoW. Not to mention, colorful. As it should. :slight_smile:

It’s almost like you can have both the fidelity and the style. :open_mouth: :open_hands: :rainbow:

I get they put work in them the photorealistic ones, and i get they loved doing it and were passionate. But they all do the same thing: Just be photorealistic. It’s honestly kind of boring and – i can forget ignorance, if they all want to see is a pretty looking video. But want that to be the game’s graphics is more telling they simply don’t care about artistic vision, and just want fidelity or charity.

I mean, even Blizzard does this rarely. The switch from ingame to photorealistic back in BFA was incredibility jarring to a point where i got taken out of my immersion of the game. It’s like somebody switched the channel to some generic fantasy movie while i was gaming. Blizzard would benefit from leaving behind this photorealistic style and just focus on the art style that WoW actually has.

And that can be accomplished with low graphics.

Why you’re playing WoW if you hate low fidelity? lol. …Infact, why play Video games at all if this is something you’re bothered with? Why not do something else like … idk, watch movies?

That puts me in mind of breath of the wild, too.

I actually prefer more stylized graphics than photo realistic ones. That’s a nice render.

1 Like