The new 8.2 patch pets

Is just a list of 38 new pets at present. Browsing the entries for each pet doesn’t give any “source” data … yet. Looks to be some capybara pets hidden in that list (golden snorf, mustyfur snooter) based off their icons. Also some mechanical robot hands, sorta like the crawling claw.

Edit: here are some capybara models that were datamined Spetember last year: https://www.wowhead.com/news=287343/patch-8-1-ptr-27826-new-creature-models-air-elemental-capybara-elite-naga-boss-k

Edit again: https://www.wowhead.com/news=291254/new-battle-pets-in-rise-of-azshara-datamined-models-and-links
Models of the pets have been matched to their pets.

4 Likes

WarcraftPets datamined 69 total new battle pets so far:

https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/unlisted/

So far:

• 31 wild
  • 38 from unknown

It’s likely a lot of those will change over the course of the PTR, and we might not see that many wild in 8.2.

Update: Wowhead found 10 additional pets (not listed in the Pet Journal), so we’re at 79 datamined 8.2 pets. :scream:

2 Likes

Based on the theme of the two new zones, I think it’s safe to assume we’ll be presented with a chunk of new aquatic and mechanical pets to collect.

There are a few pets running around Mechagon on the PTR right now. I just can’t get my account data to transfer so I am over the limit on what I can catch.

Workaround I’ve used for being stuck at Pet Journal cap on the PTR:
If you have any spare Polished Pet Charms sitting on a toon, copy that toon + their inventory over to the PTR. Do it enough times to get enough PPC on the PTR to purchase the Pet Journal upgrade item(s). Hope this helps!

3 Likes

(Way too) Early PVP perspective:

Brinestone & Budding Algan could make for some fun Poda luck teams.

Bloodseeker first pet who can whirlpool (to prevent swapping out), bleed and blood in the water.

Chitterspine Deepstalker prowl into whirlpool would take a 1k+ chunk out of elementals. Fun times.

Copper Hopper with its aquatic damage and team heal should makes its way onto every mechanical family brawler team if you’re still working on it.

Drowned Hatchling an undead bird, which by itself is cool af, with both beast and flying damage to fend off its respective counter families.

Glimmershell Scuttler & Sandclaw with shell armor AND bubble? C’mon now…

Golden Snorf with feign death. That’s all. I upvote any and all pets with said ability.

H4ND-EE suuuuuuuper disappointed with this pets moveset and I’m really hoping it gets a change. A pet this cool should be used far more than it’s going to be if left untouched.

Junkheap Roach will undoubtedly end up on a couple of discodoggy teams.

Microbots 293 speed with decoy, batter and interrupting jolt. Boring, but it’ll be solid.

Twilight Whelpling …why Blizz? Seriously why? I’m already getting a migraine.

Yellow Junkhopper nice combo of swarm of flies and feign death. Can see some nice uses for that, namely touch of the animus pets.

Overall I’m seeing a lot of re-skins of existing models, which is fine and all, but they’re also carbon copies of the existing movesets as well for the most part. Which leaves me, as a battler, feeling overwhelmingly “eh”. Is that an oxymoron?
Anyway, there will be some goodies in this batch. I’ll hold off final thoughts until I see the possible breeds as that can make a world of difference here.

Adding my own pvp hot takes:

Zanj’ir Poker / Kelpfin / Murgle / Necrofin Tadpole: Real shame that Uncertainty and Inner Vision can’t overlap: Having a superpowered Punch/Fish Slap would be a fun and gimmicky, albeit useless combo. The good news is that it gets Inner Vision and Whirlpool, allowing for some pretty nasty setups. As it stands, it seems that Clobber may be strictly reserved for faster breeds, whereas X - Inner Vision - Whirpool will be the default.

Pearlescent/Lustrous/Brilliant Glimmershells, Caverndark Nightmare, Chitterspine Devourer, Lightless Ambusher, Chitterspine Needler, Glittering Diamondshell, Sandclaw Nestseeker - Basically the same as the already-available Freshwater Pincher. The movepools and stat bases are getting more diverse for this group, right?

Chitterspine Deepstalker - This pet looks like it could put out some nasty damage with Prowl + Dive/Whirlpool. Skitter also gives it some possible leverage against Undead pets. Combine that with a nasty base attack, and this pet could do a number against stall teams. Only problem I have is that its speed is a bit high for a Prowl pet. On the flip side, that means that Dive could be used primarily defensively, while Prowl could just be combined with Skitter. We’ll see.

Chitterspine Skitterling: This pet gets Black Claw and Swarm. I will repeat that. THIS PET GET BLACK CLAW AND ALSO SWARM. This pet basically an Aquatic version of Ikky, even down to the base stats. While this may be incredibly predictable in a pvp setting, I expect this pet to get a lot of usage in PvE battles. Only drawback is that Pinch isn’t the best move for a first slot, so you may just have to rely on raw Critter damage.

Hissing Chitterspine - On Live, the lion’s share of pets with Hiss are either Snakes or Beetles/Roaches. This will be the first Aquatic pet to get access to the move, which has solid synergy with Dive, in addition to doing fairly good damage in general. Unfortunately, Pinch’s damage ramp-up does this pet no favors, as it has a fairly low base health. So you may have to lean back on Skitter. Again.

Spawn of Nalaada - This pet is a carbon copy of Abyssal Eel, which I suppose is good news for Horde players that can’t be bothered to farm paragon caches on Alliance. The movepool isn’t the most thrilling to me.

Abyssal Slitherling - I’m not a fan of Deep Bite, given this pet’s middling health. Squeeze gives it some decent compensation for its below-average speed, but it doesn’t have any abilities that can really manipulate a speed advantage. Overall a mid-tier at best pet.

Skittering Eel - Just another Spawn of G’nathus, which should be an easy drop to get at this point. This shouldn’t have much extra value in comparison, although Spawn isn’t a bad Aquatic pet.

Mindlost Bloodfrenzy/Daggertooth Frenzy - Both of these pets are carbon copies: Okay health and attack, pretty good speed. Both movesets are unfortunately quite generic, so they’re no better than the abundance of Aquatic pets out there already. Oh the flip side, they’re just a remake of the relatively hard-to-get White Carp, which may be a relief to the more casual collector.

Bloodseeker - Bloodfang WOULD be nice to have, had it not been for the fact that taking it would result in all 3 abilities having fairly long cooldowns. As such, it can’t really be relied upon by itself, it needs some external support to work well. What’s worse, without it, it becomes a pretty generic Aquatic pet. It doesn’t even have anything to make Blood in the Water always hit.

Deeptide Fingerling - See Bloodseeker, but replace “Bloodfang” with “Huge Fang”.
The good news is that Huge Fang has a much shorter cooldown, so you’ll run into fewer no-attack situations.

Nameless Octopede - Literally Inky, and Inky is pretty cheap nowadays. So meh.

Amethyst Softshell / Prismatic Softshell / Wriggler / Damplight Slug - Literally just the Snail family. Suppose it may be useful for pet dungeon snail strats.

Blackchasm Crawler - Weather attacks are always a welcome sight, although Darkness has counter-synergy with Absorb. Slime - Goo - Darkness seems like a pretty good Anubisath Idol counter, so there’s that. Probably preferable in pvp to generic snails, because of mentioned weather.

Spireshell Snail - This snail’s speed is almost average… Almost. Move-wise, Slime isn’t bad, nor is Shell Armor. I’m still more intrigued by the Blackchasm Crawler, though.

Muck Slug - This pet has some pretty nasty damage potential with Goo + Slime + Quicksand. Unfortunately, the latter move means that this slug’s relatively impressive base speed will basically be pointless. The generic stat spread would have worked much better.

Trench Slug - While I can’t say I’m a fan of getting rid of Shell Armor for Spiked Skin, having Ooze Touch over Absorb makes this pet a better choice than Blackchasm.

Seafury / Stormwrath - Literally Hydrath Droplet, which are fairly cheap. Movepool isn’t anything to write home about.

Sandkeep - Just a Living Sandling remake. They’re cheap, grab one instead if you want to cash in on their pretty decent movepool.

Scalebrood Hydra - Literally a Hydraling, which is super easy to get.

Brinestone Algan / Budding Algan - Odds are both of these pets will have fairly different breeds from the otherwise-identical Amalgam of Destruction, which isn’t the easiest pet in the world to get unless you’re willing to part with decent money or have friends willing to lend you pets. That doesn’t work in the favor of these pets, as it’s a movepool that works well with the P/P breed that the Amalgam has.

Coral Lashling - Literally a Carnivorous Lasher, so getting this pet may end up saving a few pet charms if you just want the moveset. It gets pretty decent survivability thanks to Leech Seed + Feed, but it’s nothing to write home about.

Golden Snorf / Mustyfur Snooter / Snowsoft Nibbler - Interestingly, these are just Beast versions of Dig Rats, which aren’t terribly easy to get to begin with. Comeback can be pretty good with the Beast racial, but plenty of beasts have it already.

Duskytooth Snooter - Having two speed-based abilities in one slot with a slightly-above-average speed isn’t something I’m a fan of. The fact that just about every ability benefits in some way from a high speed doesn’t help things either. Might be decent with speed support, but pretty bad otherwise.

Rustyroot Snooter - This pet is a bit slower, but is thankfully less reliant on speed, with Buried Treasure and Scratch as options. Slightly stronger than Duskytooth, IMO, but that isn’t saying much.

Sandclaw Pincher - This pet boasts both a weather move and a rooting move, which can mess with weather synergy-dependent teams, but that’s about where the good ends. Pinch is generic, Triple Snap is awful, Frost Shock is basically pointless, and the stat line is bad.

Sandclaw Sunshell - This is the superior Sandclaw. It has a slightly better stat spread, the same weather and root benefits, and a stronger alternate first-slot move in Frost Spit. This pet may actually be almost decent.

Great Sea Albatross - For some weird reason, this pet, of all things, will be making Metabolic Boost no longer a Zergling signature ability. Does a flying pet even need a speed-booster? Not really, particularly considering its base speed is already pretty good. Outside of the weird choice in speed boosting ability, this bird brings nothing interesting to the table.

2 Likes

Part 2:

Lost Robogrip / Utility Mechanoclaw - Both of these pets are simply the Mechanical version of Crawling Claw, a somewhat time-consuming pet to get. The movepool arguably works better with Mech than Undead, which is always a plus.

Clanking Scrapsorter - There are some pretty decent offensive options here. The previously-unobtainable Omni Pummel? Check. Haywire? Check. Explode? Present. Magic Resistance + Punch will give Nexus Whelplings a tough time too. That’s about the only thing separating it from the sea of Mechs with heavy damage Mech abilities, though.

H4ND-EE - Basically Scrapsorter, but with more defensive options. This could possibly be decent as a support wall on Mech teams with Repair + Rebuild.

Microbot XD / Microbot 8D - Looking at base stats, odds are both of these will be better than the already-available Alarm-o-Bot. Batter, Interrupting Jolt, and Decoy all benefit in some way from higher speed, making these pets potentially decent in the right hands.

Malfunctioning Microbot - This pet is fixing to have pretty bad speed, making explode a near-mandatory pick. Thankfully, it has a pretty decent health pool to make it work. Warning! doesn’t care about speed, so that isn’t really negatively impacted. The first move slot is pretty boring. I might lean towards the non-malfunctioning Microbots myself.

OOX-35/MG - Didn’t get the Vengeful Chicken the few times the World Quest for it was up? No problem, this pet looks like it will be easier-to-get version of it. Not that it’s a terribly solid movepool, though, especially with Feathers filling the “Mech-with-flying-damage” niche.

Rustbolt Clucker - I’m surprised this is the only pet with the Cluck ability, which is basically Squawk on a cooldown that does more damage. It also gets Preen as alternative ability, which I much prefer to Adrenaline Rush. Overall, I’d rank this above the generic Chicken family.

Alloyed Alleyrat - Toxic Spray looks like it’s just a worst Toxic bite: It shows as same damage output, but on a 5 round cooldown. Surely there’s a twist, right? That said, no attacks it has have any synergy with it, making it look pretty bad. Demolish isn’t great on its own either. Only thing that looks decent is Smoke Cloud, and even that isn’t as good as it could be, given the middling base speed this pet has.

Mechagon Marmot - It’s just a generic Prairie dog with the option of Survival instead of Comeback. Not a fan.

Scrapyard Tunneler - This guy has even MORE speed dependency than Alloyed Alleyrat, thanks to carrying Batter and Crouch. Its base speed isn’t better either. Pass.

Specimen 97: Finally, a tamable Mech with Vengeance. This could easily ruin the day of several big-hit pets. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same speed issue as the other 2 Mechanical prairie dogs.

Copper Hopper - Supercharge has a niche, and it’s not one that’s easy to pull off: Get Frog Kiss to its highest possible damage, using Reboot to stall for time, then get a Supercharged Frog Kiss off. Unfortunately, doing so will mostly likely cause no more attacks to remain on the next turn. But it’s a niche, I suppose.

Fleeting Frog - Compared to regular frogs, this one trades in Healing Wave and Swarm of Flies for Survival and Swarm (the regular kind). If one has a pretty decent speed breed, Swarm + Tongue Lash may be decent. Not a fan of Survival over Healing Wave, though.

Motorized Croaker - Compared to Copper Hopper, this pet switches out Frog Kiss and Repair with Tongue Lash and Explode. The latter makes this the first pet that can use both Supercharge and Explode. If Supercharge can boost Explode’s damage, this could be a scary pet. If not, it’s a worse Copper Hopper.

Yellow Junkhopper - Similar to Fleeting Frog, this is a generic Frog with 2 move changes: The two changes being Healing Wave -> Survival and Cleansing Rain -> Feign Death. The latter may be a good option, as you can just Swarm of Flies -> Feign Death if you get an unfavorable matchup. So that by itself may make it worth using it over a regular frog.

Experimental Roach - Adrenal Glands is an excellent ability. Sadly, this roach has nothing that really benefits from it. You could always use Swarm right after, but that leaves you with 2 Diseased Bite turns to get good damage in, presuming your opponent doesn’t switch at some point. It may have some use in PvE, but from a PvP perspective, I’m not a huge fan.

Junkheap Roach - Uncanny Luck is always nice to have, but multiple pets, most notably Poda, wield it better. Again, pass.

Drowned Hatchling - An undead version of the Hippogryph pets, which are either currently not available, or cost a pretty penny. Since it’s Undead, it actually benefits from Screech/Rush, making it outclass both.

Twilight Whelpling - One of the most interesting pets in this batch. It becomes only the second pet with access to the super-powerful Twilight Meteorite, which immediately demands comparisons to the Twilight Clutch-Sister. The Whelpling would benefit greatly from Tail Sweep thanks to a fairly low speed, which it sadly lacks. However, it gets Wild Magic to boost the damage of its Twilight Fire, making switching that much more punishing. Alternatively, Darkflame can replace Wild Magic, making Ability 1 more flexible, although I’d lean towards Breath. Finally, the Whelpling has a slightly-stronger Meteorite, which is the real key here. Health-wise, the Whelpling has slightly lower health against the Clutch-sister, outside of the latter’s P/S breed. This all assumes that the B/B breed holds, which it likely won’t. Don’t be surprised if the Whelpling has an even higher attack stat on live.

I’m sure I missed some details, but that’s what I got for now.

1 Like

Pet collecting is becoming more frustrating than anything…hopefully most of these are less rng based. Pretty tired of meat sacks blingtron and island expeditions

2 Likes

Most likely these 10 are going to be the pets we fight inside Stratholme.

Strath pet battle dungeon rewards:

[Evil wizard hat] is the item for completing the place, this teaches a minimancer pet.

This is some guess-work, but it looks like the vendor pets are an abomination ([smelly cleaver] that teaches gruesome belcher pet), a banshee ([contained banshee wail] that teaches shrieker) & a crypt stalker ([crypt fiend] that teaches crypt fiend). At a guess as to costs, I suspect the abom is the 3x currency one, the banshee 2x and the crypt fiend 1.

The 10 not listed in the Pet Journal are learned from BoP and BoU items. Those 10 could change, or they could just be NYI.

This week added 8 more pets, bringing the datamined total to 87 new pets (77 if you don’t count the ones unlisted in the journal atm).

https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/unlisted/

1 Like

Wowhead’s latest news articles show that one of the baby naga pets comes from an achievement. This is a meta achievement to complete 4 related ones - capture the wild pets on both Mechagon & Nazjatar, and also do the world quest pet battles on both zones. Is a total of 11 wild pets to catch on Naz, 12 on Mech, and 12 WQs on Naz and 8 on Mech.

1 Like

And the move set on that lil guy is pretty impressive too. Could be very useful in both PVP/PVE.
Plus, Humanoids are by far my favorite family, so I’m pretty excited to welcome it to my collection.

1 Like

Stratholme Pet Dungeon Overview:

https://www.warcraftpets.com/news/patch-8-2-ptr-stratholme-pet-dungeon-overview/

Nothing in-depth and no strats, but gives you an idea of what kind of pets you’ll be up against.

My personal takes –

• Travel time between encounters is shorter, which is good.
  • A few of the fights take longer because of new(er) mechanics, could get tedious week after week.
  • Tougher encounters? I’d say it’s a slight step up from previous Pet Dungeons, yea, probably more so for newer battlers.
  • 4 new purchasable pets instead of 3, excellent!
  • Need total of 9 currency (9 weeks) to buy one of each, BoP, not cageable… maybe not so excellent (depends on who you ask).

Overall, I enjoyed it. Will I enjoy it 9 weeks in a row? We’ll see, I guess.

4 Likes

table updated see below

Some minor additions/corrections:

You are missing the pet from the achievement for completing Stratholme battle pet dungeon (minimancer).

Junkyard tinkering - I reckon this is ‘questing’ and not ‘professions’ as the player doesn’t use our professions to make these, but unlocks the options on the npc via quests. Wowhead has just done a new article on Mechagon pets that shows there are 2 pets from this source.

Thanks for the additions/corrections its appreciated.

Changes are happening everyday. Junkyard tinkering is up to 3 now. 1 pet is alliance and the other is horde and the 3rd is available to both factions.

Im guessing that the pet journal references junkyard tinkering as a profession because we have to find the schematic (recipie) and then collect the pieces (reagents) from around the island. Then we hand both over to the npc to do the crafting.

Its an interesting evolution of the crafting system if this is the case.

Edit: actually now i think about it, its not new its the same system they used for the garrison where had to get plan then resources to build and upgrade buildings.

There’s mention of a pet (Lil’ Nefarion) in the upcoming 15th anniversary thing happening at the end of November… does this count as a 8.2 pet as well?

If they add the pet to the Pet Journal for 8.2 release, I’d say so, yes. At least, that’s how we’ll add it into the WarcraftPets database - as a pet included in Patch 8.2.

No, IMO, if it’s added to the Pet Journal after in a smaller patch (such as “8.2.3” or something like that).

Updated table of new pets on PTR. PTR is always changing so these figures are not final.

Total New Pets                    90

Achievements                       3
Island Expeditions                 2
Item                               1
Junkyard Tinkering                 2
Mythic Dungeon:Operation Mechagon  6
 - boss drops     2
 - pet battles    4
Pet Battles World                 24
Quests                             2
Rares                             21
Raid: The Eternal Palace           7
 - boss drops     4
 - pet battles    3
Treasure                           8
Unknown                            4
Vendors                           10

Last update: 26/05/19

This is my last update as am taking a break till patch is released. A copy of the complete spreadsheet I put together to keep track of the pets is available for those interested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMQP9etO0lBPWbJoliiuih-E-qnjmuX_/view?usp=sharing

1 Like