The Mok'Nathal

I actually sort of forgot about them until I decided to do a candy worlds tour to stock up on Halloween wands so I can turn annoying party members into spiders and goo year round.

There a certified faction in Bladespire that it seemed like Rexxar might become the leader of.

Strangely they don’t seem to appear in akt Draenor. And save for one female Mok’Nathal in Feralas none seem to come over to Azeroth despite aligning with the Horde.

No real point to make here. Just, more than a little weird the Horde befriended a nation of half ogre giant orc beastmasters and nothing ever came of it.

Tbh, probably would’ve made a more sensible ally than the Mag’Har. No dimensional shenagins required to recruit them and you’d have a considerably more chill leader in Rexxar.

9 Likes

I mean the Horde has plenty of Allies of other ‘minor’ races that rarely show up in the current narrative, or appear so rarely as to be Easter Eggs almost.

In addition to the Mok’nathal, there are Tanuka, Hozen, and Ogres that are all already members of the Horde yet get brought up only rarely.

As for the Mok’nathal group, the majority of them tend to be much like Rexxar in the sense that they seem to prefer isolation, and solitude among their own kind rather than venturing out into the world. There are, as you note, exceptions, but they are a race that seems to prefer to keep to themselves.

9 Likes

A little off topic but speaking of allies it’s nice to see the Unshackled hanging out in Orgrimmar’s port.

Shame they have no dialogue. Just a few sentences sharing some thoughts on their new home would’ve been nice. But cool to see that subplot conclude rather than just never knowing what happened to the giblins that were stapled to my leg for months.

10 Likes

I think that they will over ogres be joining the Horde as an allied race.

I really wanted to see them as an allied race. Its interesting I wondered if they offically joined the horde like taunka? I hope we actually get to play as thems soon or later.

I would LOVE to get playable Mok’nathal with Rexxar as their leader.

And we’ll get them…as the Ogre’s AR, after we finally get them as a core race.

We wouldn’t have needed dimensional shenanigins for the Mag’Har either if we’d just used the ones from Outland…

1 Like

Really felt like a missed moment to get Jorin Deadeye back into the story.

Out of curiosity would you want say the Stonemaul to become playable with an ogre leader or Rexxar reassuming leadership?

1 Like

Rexxar to lead the Mok’nathal and have npc ogres as pve story usage shock troops

I’d want Horde Ogres to have a real Ogre leader. And Rexxar to lead the Mok’nathal AR.

2 Likes

Or have Rexxar lead both the Stonemaul and the Mok’Nathal, perhaps even have them be neighbors. I mean, in order to continue to make true Mok’Nathal, you’d need to keep mixing ogres with orcs…

2 Likes

Would Alliance get furbolgs except actual werebears that can be skinned as a polar bear, grizzly, brown or even black bears.

With fat as the body-scale for both the make or female?

Just don’t call them the Bjorn. GW2

It was a huge mistake to source them from the AU. I would have loved to go back to Outland and play through a recruitment scenario.

2 Likes

AU Draenor has got to be the weirdest zone. With the new time walking option I’ve actually gotten to really enjoy the place for the first time. Previously I’d rush through as it was the only place I couldn’t fly and f that.

And there’s a lot of really cool looking locations, fun quests and interesting characters.

It’s bizarre to me you cannot canonically go there. This may be irrelevant to a general audience but to the not unsubstantial amount of RPers it’s extremely strange to tell me I cannot use any of these areas.

They go out of their way in the Mag’Har unlock quest to show accessing it is a huge deal that requires several unique magical items and an extremely powerful mage to manage. So if you want to set anything there your options are

A. Ignore the lore
B. Write some Mary Sue ish where one or more characters is just powerful enough to do that
C. Don’t.

4 Likes

That’s what you’re supposed to do. Chromie timewalking expansions is purely a game mechanic.

2 Likes

I still don’t get the appeal of the Mok’Nathal. They’re just slightly bigger Orcs, and they don’t even have an interesting culture like the Mag’har clans.

1 Like

I mean, you could always roll up some dedicated period-accurate characters if you feel that’s a fertile ground for storytelling and simply must RP there.

Obviously and particularly with the old leveling that’s in effect what you had to do when your Zandalari is fighting for the Horde in Pandaria.

I’m talking about wanting to set events and stories in that area. Most of WoW is unstuck in time to an extent but there’s nothing to say you can’t go to Northrend or Outland or Pandaria. AU Draenor you cannot canonically access without a whole butt ritual.

1 Like

The appeal is they’re huge, secretive, hunter gatherers that are very shrewd and scary in battle

The appeal of Mok’Nathal is the appeal of Rexxar.

Who doesn’t want to be Rexxar? He’s the only WC3 Horde character that’s still cool.

3 Likes

His presence in BFA was a little weird. It’s weird we were giving eachother quests. The Horde chain of command has to look more like tangled headphones I guess.

And I found it really annoying how he wasn’t actually in Warfang Hold. The Horde sees him, but he’s not there for the Alliance.

I found that out when I thought I’d cunningly trapped some Alliance attackers in a room with a Horde boss. Must’ve been strange for them, wondering why I seemed to have gone out of my way to trap myself in this empty room. And Rexxar just stares on by as I’m stabbed to death 2 feet from him.

Now I know how Tyrande must’ve felt when Malfurion has zero reaction to her being attacked directly in front of him.

2 Likes