The Light Within

Part 1 – Hope Renewed

“What troubles you my child? You have given so much. Sacrificed so much. Do not be afraid. Share with me your concerns.”

Xe’ra, one of the first naaru to be forged during the great ordering of the cosmos, leader of the Army of the Light, hovered over Caendiros, searching his heart to see if he could be the one to lead a new group of Lightforged tasked with hunting down the demon armies; with taking the fight to the Burning Legion.

Ever since she had made the prophecy of the “child of Light and Shadow”, the one destined to end the age of demons, Xe’ra had searched the cosmos to find the subject of that prophecy. She finally had a name: Illidan Stormrage. She knew of his role in the War of the Ancients, of his title, The Betrayer, earned for his acts against the night elf people, his people. She knew of the path he walked that caused him to become almost the very thing he hunted, but she also knew him to carry a mark of the Light.

Child of Light and Shadow indeed.

The more she had learned of Illidan, the more she had also begun to understand his perspective, to understand how one could use the power of the enemy against itself.

She knew Illidan’s life was full of potential, for his destiny was forged in the great ordering, but…

…he was missing.

She had been able to track and follow his exploits on the remains of a broken world; Draenor. Although, it was now called Outland by those who inhabited it. There was, however, a massive battle, and Illidan was slain. With his body being captured and imprisoned, and his soul lost to the Twisting Nether, Xe’ra no longer had a location.

His light had been lost.

If it were not for the more pressing matters needed to try to turn the tide of the war against the Legion, she would….no…patience was the key here. She had found him once…she would do so again. Difficult decisions had to be made, and difficult decisions would yet need to be made if they were going to be victorious in this war.

“Light Mother, I have faced the trials of becoming Lightforged. I have fought many battles against the onslaught of the Legion’s armies. As with any war there is an ebb and flow of victories and failures, but I am starting to wonder if we are progressing towards an end. It has been a millennium. Nothing can last forever. I cannot help but feel that we could do more…”

“…to finally end this war.”

The end of that sentence did not need to be spoken. The implication was there. Caendiros’ trials had been hard for him to overcome—mentally even more than physically.

So much loss.

Xe’ra snapped his thoughts back to the Xenedar, “Caendiros, you have become a formidable opponent of all the demons you have faced, yet…here you stand. Why? As you know, the war was lost long ago, and the Burning Legion has altered the destiny of the universe. We are now, once again, in a spiral toward oblivion.”

“Then why, Light Mother? Why do we continue if we have already…?”

“Hope, Caen. Life. There are forces at play beyond your understanding, but at the core of it all lies hope.”

Xe’ra paused for just a moment, making her decision, before continuing…

“Can you cast off all your doubts? All your fears? All your failings?”

With the last word of each sentence spoken, a chain made of the purest light bound Caendiros’ arms to his side.

“These chains are nothing more than a power to hold you back. They can be broken and cast aside. You can embrace the full power of the Light and become a beacon of hope…become a living weapon of the Light.”

As Xe’ra continued to speak, the chains began to constrict, and Caendiros was lifted from the floor.

“Your old life has passed. The Light has forged you a new one.

“The trials you have endured are proof that the Light shines bright within your heart, but they and the battles you have thus far faced are nothing more than the first steps of an infant compared to the journey you are about to walk.”

The markings left on Caendiros’ body from the trials to become Lightforged began to glow. When the Light had descended upon him just before he faced the trials, it had been like a warm embrace from a loved one.

This was not like that at all.

A searing pain, like a fire beginning to rage out of control, took hold and began to travel throughout his body.

Xe’ra once again spoke, this time more forcefully, “The Light is your destiny.”

As the Light moved up his body, the struggle to free himself from the chains became harder.

A fire raged in his chest now.

So. Hard. To. Breathe.

“My destiny….”

Xe’ra knew that if he could survive this trial, he would become an even greater force to be reckoned with. A fury of the Light for the Light. A living weapon, a hunter of the demon army, born to mete out vengeance.

The fire exploded in his head and beams of light burst forth from his eyes, burning all but the sockets.

Difficult decisions indeed…

His screams pierced the silence like a glass shattering into a million pieces. For just an instant, time froze and Caendiros was no longer screaming…no longer in pain. He was, however, forced to relive his trials. And that was something he was not prepared for…

“Step forward Caendiros. It is time.”

Caendiros stepped into the column of Light, but he did not go alone. Yra stayed at his side.

Xe’ra continued, “The path of the Light is different for all its children. Not only in the path you have walked that has brought you to this moment, but also in the path you will walk for all your days to come.”

Caendiros inhaled deeply and gave Yra’s hand a squeeze, “I am ready Xe’ra.”

The Light descended upon him but touched them both.

Xe’ra’s words filled the silence, “The Light will grant you wisdom. The Light will heal your scars. The Light will show you your destiny.”

The Light flashed within them both.

Entering a cave, Caendiros was flooded with an unwelcome reminder of a time long forgotten when he could hear the sounds of battle in the distance: shouting of orders, roars of creatures beyond his imagining now known to him as the demons of the Burning Legion, metal clashing together in the last defense of a village, screams of rage, screams of horror, as well as screams of sorrow piercing through the night…was it raining?

“Yra? I thank the Light that you are here. It is good to have you at my side.”

“It is good to be at your side, Caen. It would seem we are to share in the trials together.”

As they progressed through the cave, the smells of the battle—blood, fel fire, sulfur, ash, sweat, and dirt—began to mingle with the sounds. Realization swept over Caendiros. He knew not only where they were, but when they were.

“When I was a child, the Legion invaded my home. Come, I believe I know what it is we are here to see.”

As they approached Caendiros’ childhood home, a demon emerged and stood, blocking their entrance.

Recognition swept over Caendiros, and he found himself saying, “I know you.”

The demon scoffed, “You are not the first to know my might, and you won’t be the last.”

As he spoke the last word, the demon let out a roar and brought down his sword with the intent of impaling his victim and pinning him to the ground. But that intention never achieved reality. Caendiros and Yra split in opposite directions with Caendiros keeping the focus of the demon. The second attack came faster than anticipated, with a wide sweeping arc that was meant to decapitate. Ducking under the swing, Caendiros leapt into action, thrusting at the demon, but had his footing knocked out from underneath him. He landed face down in the mud and the demon’s hoof pinned him to the ground.

“Haha, puny mortal! Time to die!”

The demon raised his sword once again to drive it home, but instead, stared wide-eyed in disbelief at the end of a blade sticking out of his chest. Green blood began to gush from the wound. With each gush, the pungent smell of sulfur and fel fire became almost unbearable.

Almost.

As the demon staggered forward he spoke his last words through ragged gasps, “I will return…and you…you will….know……pain,” then the light in his eyes flickered out, and he slumped over, signaling an end to the battle.

“Thank you, Yra.”

A simple nod was all the acknowledgment that was needed.

As they approached the home, they could hear what sounded like a child crying. Once inside, Caendiros saw himself as a child, crying over the bodies of his parents, his mother just barely alive.

That was why he recognized the demon. It was the one that had killed them both.

Caendiros stepped over to his younger self, and young Caen asked through his tears, “What now?” With her dying breath, his mother whispered one word, “Run!”

Outside, an object landed with a massive crash that splintered trees and gouged a furrow into the ground. From this pit rose an infernal, a monstrous demon made of rock and green fire, set upon demolishing everything still standing.

Caendiros stood, “Time to go. Come, we will make our escape through the back.”

The trio ran, his younger self leading them to a room at the back of the house. Inside a crib against an inner wall was a baby. Young Caen scooped up his sibling and ran for the back door of the home. Without missing a beat, Caendiros flung open the door and everyone bolted though just in time for the house to explode in green flames.

Under the cover of darkness and ensuing chaos, they were able to flee to the nearby woods.

Caendiros knew that they needed to find food and shelter.

“I know of a cave we can use for shelter for the night. Hopefully, we can find some food along the way. Come. Let us not linger.”

The rain did not seem to want to relent anytime soon. Feeling the warmth of her older brother as he held her close, the baby finally drifted into a fitful sleep.

After what felt like hours, the group stumbled into a clearing where there was a felhound siphoning off the last remaining life of its latest victim.

It raised its head and looked Caen dead in the eyes.

Its tentacle feelers snapped in his direction as it sensed his presence. Weapons were drawn, but no sooner had it snorted than an arrow pierced through its head, and the hound fell on top of its last victim.

From the side of the clearing they spotted another who motioned for them to follow and stay quiet.

Quickly they ran to his location, staying on the edge of the clearing to avoid being out in the open. Once they had reached the one who saved them, he lowered his bow and introduced himself, “Well met. I am Ardesco. You must be tired and hungry. Come, we have food and shelter for the night. Quickly now.”

They pushed through dense forest for about a half hour, not talking for fear of attracting unwanted attention. At last they reached a small cave with more refugees from the attack.

Ardesco motioned them inside, “Here you will be safe for the night, what is left of it. Argus is no longer safe. There is a naaru ship called the Genedar that is leaving to escape this madness. We go at first light.”

Once inside the cave, Caendiros turned to his younger self, “Rest while you can. We will go in search of food and water.”

Caen finds a spot to sit with his baby sister. Looking down at her he whispered, “I’ll keep you safe.”

Without warning, sleep took him.

Jostled from sleep by a nightmare of a large rock monster wreathed in green flame chasing him through the forest just as another slammed down on top of him from the heavens, Caen looked down and noticed that his sister was gone. Before he had a chance to stand, a comforting hand was placed on his shoulder and a man’s voice spoke, “It is all right, young one. She is right here, safe and sound. We saw you fall asleep and thought you could use it. Where are your parents?”

It was a minute before Caen had the strength to answer, but there was no real need as the loss was written all over his face.

“We are so sorry for your loss. Listen…”

Fighting to hold back tears, Caen sniffled and answered, “Caendiros, but my family calls me Caen.”

“Caen, come with us to the Genedar. We will escape and you two will come stay with us. And what about this young one here. What is her name?”

“Yra.”

Blinding light flashes; when Caendiros and Yra can once again see, Yra is crying in the corner of the cave.

“How come you never told me?” asked adult Yra.

“When we left that morning, despite what had happened, I had hope in my heart for what the future held. Our parents were dead at the hands of terrible monsters, our home was being torn to pieces, yet through it all, we found safety. We had found a caring couple to take us in. All we had to do was get to the ship.

“Once we arrived at where the Genedar was docked, there were so many people. Another battle had broken out. Everyone was running, pushing their way through the crowds, trying to get to the ship, trying to make room to escape the destruction.

“In the chaos, we were separated. You were being carried one direction by the woman that would become your adopted mother while soldiers running to the battle to buy us time pushed me in another. I screamed and shouted your name hoping beyond hope that I could find you. I strained to hear your cries above all the noise, but it was lost in the sea of the battle that raged around us. I thought that I had heard my name once but could not find the direction. I could not get my bearings. It was absolute chaos as everyone tried to get aboard and take off. Just as the doors to the ship were closing, I was pulled onboard by Ardesco. It was a narrow escape, only made possible by the naaru L’ura, who sacrificed herself by staying behind to buy us all the precious time needed to make our escape.

“Ardesco was kind enough to take me in, and to eventually give me a family to call my own. I never got the names of those that looked after you in the cave while I was sleeping so it took me years to find out where you were. When I did, there was nothing I could say that would fix what I messed up. I was supposed to keep you safe. Me. I was just a kid trying to survive in a world that was falling apart.

“So, I did the next best thing I could think of. I watched over you from afar. Protected you from a distance. Pledged to keep my vow to keep you safe. Then, when I found some courage, I introduced myself, and we have grown to become close friends. I have learned about your life and how blessed you were to have that family take you in. You were too young to know what was left behind, and that was a pain I didn’t want to burden you with.”

Yra broke the silence, “Mama once told me that I had an older brother, but he had been lost in the battle that had broken out as they scrambled to get aboard the Genedar. My parents did not often speak of that day. They said it brought up ‘too many painful memories.’ Losing you was one of those memories they tried not to dwell on.”

As Yra moved to embrace her brother a gasp caught in her throat. She could not scream, even though the pain from the dagger through her heart demanded it. What felt like millennia lasted just a split second; then she was gone.

Where Yra could not scream, Caendiros could. His was a scream that caused the demon to realize his thought of easy prey was a mistake. When Caen recognized the demon that had killed his parents now standing over the body of his sister, his vision went white hot at the edges; before he knew it, he had raced across the cave and ripped the demon in two with his bare hands.

Standing in righteous fury over the bodies, he heard a voice behind him.

“My, my, such a tragedy. I have been watching you for some time, Caen. I know the vow you made to keep her safe. All is not yet lost. I can offer you the power to bring her back. Your vow is not yet broken.”

“How many times will I have to kill you, demon?”

“I would like to say as many times as necessary, but…some lessons are never learned.”

As Caendiros turned, he found himself confronted not by the demon he thought. This was a demon unlike any he had seen before, yet, there was something so familiar. Recognition caused him to stagger back a step.

He was staring at…himself!

Not as he was now, but as a red-skinned, fel fire pockmarked, twisted version of what he could be, should he choose to accept the power being offered by the Legion.

Of all the battles he had faced, the battle against the inner turmoil, the guilt, was one that Caen had never had to fight. It had always been there; it had just never stood in his way.

Until now.

“I guess now is as good a time as ever to end this.”

“Agreed.”

When fighting against yourself, your shortcomings, your faults, your skills, old wounds, these are all things that can be exploited to find victory…and, since you are battling yourself, you will expect that.

Do, instead, what you will not expect.

Caendiros, slayer of demonic hordes, weary from the war, drew his sword, took one look at it, and threw it down.

So much loss.

“I have killed countless demons in my time. Killing you would be just another mark on a long list that I am tired of tracking. I am done. I will not fight you.”

“Then you will die.”

Demon Caen charged forward, bringing his sword down for a killing blow that would easily cleave a normal person in two.

The world around Caendiros slowed. He knew what was to come. He was ready for it. He welcomed it.

Once again, he had failed to do the one thing he swore to do: protect Yra.

In the span of a heartbeat that took ten thousand lifetimes to pass, the demon had cleared the space between them. The killing blow, however, never came. The blade stopped mere inches from Caendiros’ head.

The demon roared, “How can this be?!”

The cave was awash with the Light. Standing at the center of it all; glowing like a beacon from the new markings that distinguish one as Lightforged, Caen smiled, “The Light has always been with me, has always been the only power I needed. And it is my faith in the Light that protects me this day.”

Without another word, Caendiros took the dagger removed from the demon that killed his sister, and his parents, and slammed it into the heart of his twisted self.

The demon slid to the cavern floor.

But when Caen looked down, all he saw was Yra gasping for air.

“Why, brother?”

Brother.

“With all that power…you could have saved me. You could have saved us both…from what is to come.”

Understanding washed over Caen like the rain from the storm all those years ago.

“No, Yra. Had I accepted that power, I would have become the very thing that we have been trying to defeat. Faith in the Light gives us purpose, gives us hope. Those we lose, those who are closest to us, are never really gone. We hold them in our heart, and they walk together with us in the Light.”

The Light flashed from within him and when he opened his eyes, he was once again aboard the Xenedar.

Caen reached down to touch the face of his sister. A single tear fell as he leaned down to kiss her forehead.

“Peace be with you, Yra. May the Light carry you home.”

A calm fell over those present as Xe’ra spoke, “And peace be with you, Caen. I am sorry for her loss but know that her Light has been called home.”

Caen nodded and moved to lift his sister’s body.

Xe’ra and others were saddened to have lost Ira to the trials. It was not common for those that partake of the trials to do so together. It was even more rare for one to not survive. However, for Caendiros to be able to complete them despite the loss of his sister, spoke of his character. His ability to survive…alone…was not expected. And through that sacrifice, he was renewed with purpose…renewed with hope.

But there would be scars.

As Caen stood holding Yra, it was Xe’ra that broke the silence, “Caendiros…a child of Argus…brother to Yra…a bright light rescued from the Great Dark Beyond…has crossed the boundaries of mortality. He has been found worthy to become an eternal protector of creation.”

“He has been forged in the Light.”

By the time Xe’ra had finished speaking, Yra’s body had turned into thousands of tiny lights and swirled around Caendiros before exploding outwards touching the hearts of all those present.

She would indeed walk with us in the Light.

As the vision of the trials faded away, a new vision of what would come to be filled his entire being. It was a vision of the Legion infiltrating and destroying all worlds.

So much death. So much destruction.

A juggernaut on a burning crusade to extinguish all life.

Caen knew the war they had faced, and knew that more would be to come, but seeing all of the Legion come to bear on a cosmic scale was overwhelming. There was nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. Death was coming for them all.

Then all at once, reality slammed back into being.

“MY…DESTINY….”, The first chain snapped.

“…IS…”, The second chain shattered.

“…THE…LIGHT!”

The third chain exploded with a fury that Xe’ra knew would help the Legion face more of the defeat it had once found on the world called Azeroth.

She knew that one day, the Chosen One, the “child of Light and Shadow”, spoken of in her prophecy, would stand before her. She would heal his scars. She would have him join the Army of the Light, and he would bring about the end of the Burning Legion. All was not yet lost, but, until that day, she would do what was necessary to ensure their survival against the Legion…do what was needed to find hope within this war.

“Caen, the powers forged into you this day will give you the ability to hunt down demons wherever they may hide and cut them down with all the fury and vengeance of the Light. Though you may have lost the ability to see with your eyes, you now have the ability to see with the Light. Your markings, earned through your trials, will empower your new abilities as well as offer you protection. Your fury will be unmatched. Your vengeance will be swift.”

Then, through a voice grown hoarse from screaming, a strained whisper escaped from Caendiros, “The Legion will stop at nothing to destroy all worlds.”

Xe’ra answered, “So we must be ready to sacrifice everything to save them. We must be prepared.”

“You are my weapon of the Light, forged to be a slayer of demons…” she said to him fiercely.

“…And now…”

“…it is time to hunt.”

All rights for the recognized World of Warcraft NPC’s, lore, and locations in this story belong to Blizzard. All other characters, interactions, and general development of the O/C story belong to myself.

1 Like