The Layering Scandal

They should make one server without layering where u can’t get aan transfers from to another server.

I’d love to see u then :cry: Why it feels more like a single player game instead of a mmo with 300 players on your realm.

As someone who was on a server that was one of the first to see migrations (in vanilla). I firmly believe anyone who says having realms die and just merging them isn’t an issue. Has never been a part of it. It sucks, the community becomes fractured and it takes a while to really recover from it.

Eaglesgift…what they gave was definite but still open ended.

Layering gone by phase 2. What they didn’t say is when phase 2 starts.

Everyone was against it until they weren’t.
Ion passed out the kool-aid and told everyone if we don’t do layering then everyone will be on dead realms because the majority of players will be tourists that leave. So everyone bought in 100%.

Me, I dropped my glass and walked away. I will wait and see if layering really goes away. And if not…we’ll there are options these days. What Blizzard may not realize is that they have competition.

2 Likes

The community was smart enough to realize this before Ion stated the obvious.

Like, do you actually think the server population at launch will be the same four months post launch?

The merger probably stung because you liked your community. This layering scheme makes it harder to develop a meaningful server community in the most important period for the health of the server.

After a week, this needs to go.

2 Likes

Wait are you telling me that Classic will pick up subs and then people will leave!!! Blasphemy… Everyone knows that Classic will only grow in sub count like Vanilla did. Cause no one ever unsubbed from Vanilla right?

Do you think that many people will quit in 2 weeks to where you don’t need layering like many here think ?

If layering works like they want it to, have described it would. It wouldn’t be so bad for forming a community. If they don’t get some of the bugs fixed it will definitely hinder community building by a lot.

As of now Guilds are having different guild chats that not all can see based on layers. You can’t see what zone your friends are in if they aren’t in your layer. Zone chats are also obviously based on layer. Fixing all of these will go a long way to helping eliminate the impact layering has on community building.

So if it works like it should it won’t hinder community building as much in the first 2-3 months that merging will after the first 2-3 months (cause they wont merge until a few months in anyways).

Found Paul Joseph Watsons wow toon.

Interesting Nokrai. No one has mentioned these layering problems and I didn’t see anything about it in the beta forums.

If guild chat and zone chat are layer based that’s even worse then not just seeing people.

Blizzard also said there would only be a single AH. Is that working or layer based as well ?

That is good. I don’t want to see “crossroads is under attack” in a different shard.

So you are advocating total segregation of layers ?

Yeah. Lock them until they merge them all.

Never even bothered checking the AH. I will say that in the “second” stress test. The layering issues I saw in the first weren’t as bad. I had probably 10-15 instances in the first one of a mob just poofing on me mid fight only for 2 more to pop in around me.

I don’t think I had it happen at all in the second. At least I can’t recall it happening.

I wouldn’t be opposed to this, as long as people got to choose their layers. In fact, all of this nonsense about people being up in arms over layering could easily be solved if they just let people choose “Layer 1, Layer 2, or Layer 3” for the first few weeks.

1 Like

While I get that aspect. I don’t like it and would rather be able to communicate with my whole server even if I can’t see them.

Oh yeah - they have to let people play with their guild/friends.

Well then that gives Blizzard a new opportunity.

Paid layer transfers…$15.99

Well if they give you a full vanilla-server size layer (as they said) you are getting the vanilla experience.

Which is another point of layering differing from sharding.

I haven’t had that many instances in retail where I am in a different shard from my guildies/friends list. Layering doesn’t seem to be as smart as sharding when grouping people. Maybe it has to do with the differences and them not putting people in “Full” layers upon logging in. I dunno.