The issues with Alliance ARs

My main issue with allied races of both factions are the lack of class options or overlapping options in case of HM Tauren and LF Draenei. It was a great opportunity to have the allied race have classes that the existing race didn’t have access to. Having less options on the allied race makes it even worse than simply duplicating the options on the main race. HM doesn’t even have priest as an option. I wish both had rogues.

1 Like

Blizzard chose to not try.

Alliance playerbase foots the bill.

Working as intended.

The issue with Alliance ARs is that ARs as a concept exists at all.

4 Likes

At least Horde AR’s show effort.

Alliance? Nope, Blizzard didn’t even put any effort into them.

3 Likes

The only ARs you could say have effort are really KT, Vulpera and (probably unpopular to state) Mechagnomes. Mechagnomes while aren’t my personal shtick, you really can’t ignore the effort they put into the gears and knobs.

5 Likes

Mostly fair. However, here’s the thing.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s Blizzard’s job to tell us, the players, why said critter is somehow not a duck.

this is from another duplicate of this thread

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/does-any-alliance-player-feel-cheated-by-the-ars/1183055/191

nuff said

2 Likes

For me the only satisfying Alliance AR were the KT because they were actually unique.

DID is way more of a customization option tier than KT.

1 Like

you summed it up perfectly. ty

1 Like

The Alliance not getting sethrak, vrykul, holy undead, or any of the million other races that they requested/demanded during BfA was absolutely not the main reason for its decline, which is more often attributed to the Horde now being seen as the faction with the better players, so people started going over to the latter for an easier time doing high-end content. People need to stop blaming allied race discourse for all of the Alliance’s woes and take some responsibility for why it got bad enough for Blizzard to finally add cross-faction play.

UGH.

Completely separate rigs from normal humans, one of which was brand new and the other derived from another Horde race (female undead). Race comes from a city other than Stormwind. Was never going to be demoted to cosmetics. Anyone who thinks any MMO dev, let alone modern Blizzard or even old Blizzard, would give an existing race access to a new model and rig as something you can just switch to at the barber was never going to be satisfied with what the Alliance did get.

I’ve never seen any Horde posters say that Zandalari would’ve been better off as Darkspear customizations, yet the idea of Kul Tirans being forcibly shoved into regular humans gets thrown around surprisingly often.

Models are heavily modified from regular gnomes complete with new animations. Race comes from a city other than Gnomeregan. Was also never going to be demoted to cosmetics no matter how much this community begged, pleaded, and acted like Blizzard had opened the Gates of Hell by introducing them in 8.2. Between the two of these being parroted for the last few years, I don’t know which one makes me want to throw up more.

You think there was any chance of Blizzard introducing two new races, giving them to you as FREE customizations for existing Alliance races on the level of the Night Warrior options, then pulling another two races out of their butt to fill the holes that the first two left behind? That humans having the ability to switch between normal, dad bod, and lanklet would compete with the Horde getting Zandalari? Get real.

They aren’t high elves because high elves have absolutely nothing that the other playable elves (and humans) don’t already cover, have been an NPC filler race since vanilla, and can’t be used to continue any story that they can already tell with blood elves. Void elves have a concrete theme, aren’t so neglected that they still use the generic night elf/bronze dragon elf VO, and can be used to continue Alleria’s story thread started in Legion. Honestly, I didn’t even really want to argue this part because the regular high elf discourse is running me ragged, and I doubt I’m the only one.

Alleria became the first void elf back on Argus, which set a precedent for more of her kind being introduced later, only born from a different method of transmutation. It’s not that big a jump in logic, just handled poorly.

The majority of high elves are now blood elves, who have been on the Horde for almost two decades and are the rightful continuation of the high elf story. What the Alliance has had since vanilla comes with none of the charm or characterization that has allowed the blood elves to stand out, and have basically only existed to serve as a foil to the blood elves in several early- or mid-expansion storylines (Argent Tournament, Zul’Aman, Isle of Thunder, Suramar), or, again, just to fill NPC spots (Dalaran, Stromgarde, Stormwind portal room).

Holy mother of bias. They’re literal recolors of regular dwarves with new hairstyles and voices, unlike the above-mentioned races, and as of 8.3 they don’t even have any classes that their parent race doesn’t have, unlike Kul Tirans having shaman and druids and Mag’har having priests, yet they have more of a right to be an allied race than those two?

Dark Irons didn’t even have a major zone in BfA. Kul Tirans had a whole continent with three zones that made up the Alliance questing experience, and mechagnomes had a daily quest hub that was half of the draw of 8.2 and was easily the better zone introduced in that patch, simply because the other was Nazjatar.

Show me how vulpera could’ve worked as goblin customizations.

You are correct, but this community collectively failed to notice early on that allied races would have a pattern of being based on existing races and spent most of 2019 insisting that ducks (mechagnomes) aren’t ducks anymore and that snakes (sethrak) are ducks now.

2 Likes

Same way in real life, little goblins who are into fur suit

1 Like

Alliance High Elves. Not “Light Forged” :upside_down_face:

Yes, this would have been way more sense.

So sad, so true.

But all of those are the races we requested. That’s the big difference. We get everything we want while the Alliance-players are second player citizen in their own game.

A little bit, yes. You still play a Void Elf with purple blood, a racial people don’t like and it is a constant reminder what Blizzard would do to us if we weren’t the dominating faction.

It’s not brand new, they already had it ready at the start of 8.0. I get what you try to say here but it’s nothing special. They do this work all the time for all NPCs as well.

You mean the rotation effect? That’s one of the simplest things to do.

3 Likes

Nah, if I’m being honest I think Horde ARs are all pretty good.
People always wanted Mag’har, and here they came with a skintone for every clan.
Zandalari are nowhere near “Trolls who lift w/ posture”, they look different, feel different, have a very distinct lore and an amazing capital.
Shal’dorei are awesome, the vibes they give off are incredibly unique, miles away from that of the Kal’dorei. That “drug addict french nobility underground resistance” motif is neat. Amazing capital as well.
Vulpera are a brand new race, they’re nomadic desert scavengers, which completely fits into the Horde actually.
HM Tauren are maybe the least interesting ones to me, but their lore is nice, and they’re like cooler regular Tauren, so it’s all good.

For once I do agree Alliance players were badly let down. Sucks. There could have been many other ideas for them.

3 Likes

The majority of people - on reddit - agreed upon that the Alliance should have gotten their High Elves sooner by now. There were several topics about it in the past with exactly discussing this before.

Backpaddling only shows how much this playable race failed and they continue to undo this mistake in the future as well. The dark iron dwarves are the only race people have not taken any problems with, which makes it one good race for the Alliance I guess?

Your age shows. I do not care if the Alliance gets the High Elves are not but it’s an injustice as a Horde-player to see how awful the other faction players are treated for the same price they pay.

Actually, you answered your own posting here. All the amount of crying is proof that they go back on their ideas and how much this embarrassing concept failed. Purple elves out of nowhere. Amateurish.

You misquoted something here.

Of course they were badly let down. We are their favored faction which gets taken care of.

1 Like

A lot of players aren’t honest, most players simply don’t like bigger and beefier races. They take up a larger percent of the screen on everything from simple gameplay to mounts. It doesn’t matter how unique or different they are as an AR, that design flaw is going to keep players away from the race. This is exactly why I scoff at things like Ogre’s being a playable race

2 Likes

I guess I’ll go back to Silvermoon State Penitentiary.

High Elves/Silver Covenant are also also permanently used from the Alliance across the expansions, unlike the other groups available at their disposal. So why does it wonder you why they want to them to be playable?

And Void Elves don’t use Void magic, they are permanently mutated Blood Elves from an accident. This may be true for the High and Blood Elves who tapped into the Void in its second generation but this is sort of head cannon, even if its suggested and hinted at.

All I see is a ranting child who cannot control himself in a discussion who loves to throw words like “common sense” and “ignorance” as if he has been graduating from the dunning kruger school. Let’s skip this to the plateau and acknowledge that the people have a right to feel upset, even if you do not like to see it. They can and are allowed to complain, they are also allowed to express themselves and if you do not like this, then there is nothing you can do against it.

Story-wise I agree but this is a whole another topic with its own flaws in the writing department.

You really need to play both sides to see why they got this during BfA. Horde-only makes you look incompetent in this discussion. Sorry if this sounds harsh but you really did not do your homework here regarding the WM, the rewards and the bee mount.

That user does that

He also compared wanting HEs for the Alliance to actual LGBTQ+ people wanting representation

3 Likes