The Irony of Playing a Warlock in Dragonflight (and in general)

So, I know my username and profile are showing a paladin here, but I’ve been maining an Affliction Warlock Orc in Dragonflight so far. It’s my first time playing a Warlock for an extended period of time and in my fascination with Warcraft lore, I decided to dig a bit deeper than surface level into the concept of Warlocks and the abilities that they use. As is no shocker, Warlocks practice some pretty vile magic. The whole concept of Affliction Warlock is corrupting and harvesting souls for crying out loud. So, now to the point of the discussion.

Anyone else find it funny that a character that practices horrible, soul corrupting magics is just casually running around as a hero and helping save nature and whatnot? I just find it absolutely hilarious and immersion crushing.

2 Likes

It could be worse.

You could be playing an Orc who was part of the original Horde that captured and imprisoned Alexstrasza during the second war and used her dragonflight as mounts of war.

5 Likes

I thought it was funnier when my Warlock was fighting the legion and killing demons galore.

1 Like

But I did it for the Alliance, even in my metaphorposis years as demonologist

I… uh… you know what, I have to go, I have to feed my army of the dead

1 Like

The magic itself doesn’t matter. Its what you do with it.

2 Likes

Yeah, but they’ve said magic burns and corrupts the untrained. You got be able to actually DO something with it before it does its thing against you.

In the case of warlocks, that goes to places Mages, Shamans, or Druids can’t and won’t go.

The warlocks of the black harvest at least addressed that in some regard, of how they were harvesting dark magics for the greater good of Azeroth.

I think somewhere I read you harvest fragments or the spirit energies of their soul for power (Causing them become unrestful spirits in the future or lose sanity). Although that’s still pretty damn bad lol.

There’s a few immersion / lore irks I have with classes I’d like them to address though, having an odd class quest here & there would certainly help mend that rift that players – especially those in the roleplay community, have.

Shamanism is the only natural Azeroth magic, and the rest doesn’t belong. This brought to you by Shaman gang.

Can’t harvest souls from the living if all the living is dead.

It’s why in shadowlands I couldn’t join the night fae. Their abilities topped the chart with regards to damage and movement but the idea of my warlock being night fae out right disgusted me. I ended up joining the necrolords. With a lot of the quests and lore it doesn’t feel like the warlock belongs.

Can you imagine what a lot of normal people would think. Hey go over there and save these turtles.

(Summons demons to kill the bad guys) (Person looks at you in horror)

I guess back to the sewer hideouts I go!

5 Likes

Very well adjusted.

It’s moments like this I realize how not-okay I am in the head. Pretty sure I’d smile at demons being summoned to kill crabs.

LMAO! Honestly this kind of stuff is so funny I kind of like it.

1 Like

Dont judge me!!!

Also, shamans fighting elemental forces seems a bit off to me.

Interesting. I need to play through that Order Hall questline and read all the quest text for sure. The mounts are sweet that you get as well.

Blessed is the simple life of a hunter. Nothing complicated about us. At least for my part.

:beers:

I’ll have you know, Richard is a hero to some.

4 Likes

That would be pretty whacked.

1 Like

I see what you did there.

1 Like

Not the reference I expected here, but one I appreciate.

6 Likes