The Illusion that "Legion was a good Expansion"

I’m just curious… why do people believe this? While I will freely admit that Legion had a plethora of story content, it was greatly hampered by several big faults:

-Severe class ability pruning and unnecessary overhauls no one asked for
-The reliance on gear and gimmicks as a form of progression instead of a new class ability
-Forced “class fantasy” ideas when people had been creating their own identities for over a decade
-No new weapons. Appearances were tied to artifact skins which in many cases had very little variety (Not every class could change their weapon type with an alternate skin)
-Return of garrison mission tables
-The start of the expansion was a severe grind with Artifact Power, a system which would eventually devolve into the Azerite system.
-Introduction of level scaling
-Random acquisition of Legendaries that made or broke many specs
-Rep timegating and the illusion of choice with World Quests.

…and probably more that I can’t remember at the moment.

Like seriously, what am I missing here? It’s almost as if everyone willingly overlooked the faults of Legion, which were many- simply because it was better than WoD (Which it is by far)

Were people just so eager to put WoD behind them that even Legion- an expansion marred with many faults but had an incredibly shiny exterior- seemed like the second coming of green Jesus?

Someone please help me to understand this belief.

103 Likes

Every expansion has faults. None are perfect.

Legion just had, what I feel, are fewer faults than most others.

109 Likes

Opinions!

Everybody has one.

Legion was good. Perfect? Not by a long shot. But in comparison to the nothing we had before it?

Good.

50 Likes

I just listed the many faults it had, which were pretty major ones.

I can definitely agree with that.

1 Like

You just listed opinions. What you’ve stated aren’t always “faults” as shared by everyone else.

85 Likes

And I disagree with some of them.

Every class relied on a new class ability in Legion, for example.

And…also…as I stated…I could come up with a list of faults of every other expansion as well.

31 Likes

The RPers don’t control this game

17 Likes

The class halls increased my motivation to play every class, a huge plus. World Quests are a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE step up from dailies. Those two things alone make it one of the best xpacs IMO. Scaling has made leveling fun so I don’t see it as a negative and it definitely hasn’t negatively impacted any aspect of play IMO.

Now, the overrated things or bad things:

Story was ugh. Illidan sucks. Artifact weapon was just a cheap trick to give us temporary power. I wasn’t oooed and awwwed by having this fake “powerful” weapon. Only like 1/3 of them had any real status prior to Legion and the rest had made up on the spot lore. Like, why is the Windrunner family bow powerful at all? It’s a family heirloom and we have Rhok’delar chilling. Don’t even get me started on anything Titan related, lame.

But WQ and so much class related content (even if a lot of it wasn’t good) made this one of the xpacs I spent the most time on so definitely in my top time periods of WoW.

33 Likes

Every weapon had like 5-6 base appearances and 4-5 tints per base appearance (don’t quote me on the exact #s, can’t go back to Dalaran and look it up atm). That seems like a good variety.

9 Likes

Remember when they renamed my abilities for no reason and didn’t even keep w/e sin strike was called, just changed it right back to sin strike. I can’t remember the last time I saw and outlaw rogue use Roll the Bones over Slice and Dice.

Unpopular opinion

I’m enjoying BFA more than Legion.

Granted, I didn’t start Legion until the last patch but it got old fast.

1 Like

Legion was a good expansion. I didn’t like the PvP prestige system and the PvP templates.

Legion also had the same problems in BfA that a lot of things felt meaningless to do. Once they added the legendary vendor, legion was a finished product imo

I had fun and spent the most time I ever have on a WOW expansion. I enjoyed logging in and playing the game. Can’t say the same for BFA currently.

15 Likes

It’s not an illusion … Legion 7.2.5 - 7.3.5 was an excellent expac and one of the greats.

You’re either having fun and want to play… Or not.

And I … Was having fun and wanted to play. No reason(s) needed to be given.

13 Likes

i dunno, i thought legion was pretty good. though, that’s cause it was the expansion i started healing in. i mean, MW monk was a blast! now i can’t get a feel for it… also, the raids were really cool/epic what with giant armies of demons to kill.

1 Like

How is class pruning/redesign an “opinion”?

The big issue there is that it was an ability that would be for that expansion only. Not every class got their artifact abilities back.

A good ‘variety’ of weapons is getting to choose between an axe or a sword.

7 Likes

Personally I loved Legion and had a wonderful time. I was actually active for it, and it’s one of my all time favorite expansions. So, to me, yes, it was a great expansion. Might not be the case for others. But that’s down to a matter of opinion.

11 Likes

So your issue then isnt with Legion, but BFA?

15 Likes

Legion was absolutely the worst expansion in history. The class pruning, Artifact Power, etc, just killed the whole experience. I’d rather go play WoD again. At least class design was top tier back then.

21 Likes

laughs in arms warrior

5 Likes