The Horde needs it's Warchief

look at the history… we’ve had 4 war cheifs and thrall doesnt like the position. what else the horde gon do. roll the dice or flipa coin and hope their cheif isnt corrupt as Sylvanas? Its more of a check and balance the horde needs. I promise you race leaders can rally the horde faction together just as easily as 1 warchief.

So a supreme horde commander?

Yes.

The modern Horde isn’t a bunch of clans who swear their lives away. Everyone keeps asking why the various races of the Horde didn’t just up and leave Sylvanas when she decided to be a monster and there is an in universe reason: Those people all swore their lives to the Warchief and the Horde.

Why would a sovereign nation swear themselves to another like that, to be dragged into multiple world wars without really having a say in the matter?

So yeah. The Council elects a Warchief to lead their forces into war, to use as they see fit, but at the end of the day the Warchief answers to them. Only then can I see a warchief coming back.

EDIT: And the above was the in universe reason.

The Meta reason is because, quite frankly, having the entire Horde’s storyline dominated by just one character made it way way too easy to beat someone over the head with the villain bat to have another story of “The Horde is finding itself because the Horde is strong and cool” played. With a council which they appear to actually care about would at the very least prevent that.

2 Likes

Whoever gave Sylvanas her own expansion is at fault.

They didn’t care what it took to get it, only that she got it.

That they sacrifice the Horde in everything but name was merely another casualty in a line of poorly thought out decisions.

If it was up to me I’d kill most of the leaders and replace them all, I tire of all these idiots letting their baggage weigh down the factions.

Yeah, an extremely negative one. It’s identifiable as a shortlived position that often meets a bad end, that repeatedly leads the Horde into ruin.

Continuing to have one at this point identifies the Horde as a bunch of dip****s that never learn their lesson.

Except not. Because the Alliance doesn’t have a council. They HAVE a Warchief.

It is. It’s cutting out a tumor that keeps trying to kill us.

Not sure why they’d do that. She’s proven to be a piss poor commander(albeit, intentionally), and unless she commands some kind of large army, I’m not sure why they’d bother for one person, even if they are a badass.

Dunno. Ask every country that was in WW1.

1 Like

Not even that–it was said in an interview on April 5, 2018, before the prepatch to 8.0 even dropped.

6 Likes

Whoops, had the wrong year in mind. My bad, although I think that only reinforces the point.

The Horde has outgrown the position of Warchief (which was only made to make the slaughtering of a peaceful people easier.) The Horde is more than just one big, rampaging army. It’s a nation that represents a multitude of differing cultures, peoples, and interests. It takes more than a single supreme dictator to properly represent those interests.

Besides, it’s easy to say that they just shouldn’t select a psychopath, but given that half of the Horde’s Warchiefs turned out to be “psychopaths,” two of which were selected by non-psychopaths, it’s not quite that simple.

2 Likes

Probably a good reason to stop letting Warchiefs select the next Warchief after they’ve become too compromised to continue being Warchief…

1 Like

Indeed. Another problem with the position.

3 Likes

I agree with the sentiment the Horde doesn’t really need a Warchief in peace time. Trouble with that though is there isn’t any.

If it’s not the Horde and Alliance fighting eachother it’s them fighting together to cancel this week’s apocalypse. While also still fighting eachother but just in a few areas.

Obviously I wouldn’t argue for an unelected position where the incumbent wields supreme executive authority until death or resignation. Especially when candidates for this position can have millenia long lifespans or be functionally immortal.

But the thing is I’m trying to play a fantasy game not create a just and fair government. This isn’t called Spheres of Statecraft. My disbelief is suspended enough to accept wizards, I can buy a dictatorship just works well enough in this setting for w/e reason.

The Warchief’s only a bad idea because Blizz decided it was. Maybe Blizz felt they needed to tell a story where the moral is dictators are bad, and fair enough, but that comes off as pretty bizarre when the Alliance also has one determined by birthright monarchy and that’s working just fine.

20 Likes

Garrosh is in Revendreth unfortunately… Oh Lor’themar, nah.

It’s peace time. Go build a new troll city in Stranglethorn Vale or somewhere.

Nurture the land. Terraform the Barrens. Do whatever until Sylvanas screws it up for you, mr troll.

Sky’s the limit

If by sky you mean the inept writing team…

:pancakes:

3 Likes

funny.

baine secured peace time. use the time.

That’s not up to us.

:pancakes:

5 Likes

Meant RP and try to stay positive.

Until Sylvanas takes it from you and breaks it apart.

Then the new warchief refuses to give up their power and we’re back to doing the pointless civil war song and dance again to depose them. The Horde has proven time and again the position doesn’t work and no council is going to stand in the way of someone who wants to take power for themselves.

2 Likes

There needs to be a Warchief.

Even if they have limited power during so called “peacetime”, there should still be a warchief that is responsible for considering the relative strategic position of the entire Horde with respect to outside entities- with each council member being responsible to brief the Warchief with ALL developments in intelligence and diplomacy, and the council as a whole retaining the ability to transfer executive power to and from the Warchief as necessary. Blah blah blah.

Give us a damn Warchief.

5 Likes

It hasn’t worked because Blizzard wrote it to not work.

14 Likes