The Future of Wowpedia

Well, now I’m almost hoping ZAM will start its own wiki project integrated with Wowhead so we can just copy everything over there.

I read that migration to wowpedia from wowwiki happened in the first place because of poor quality of Fandom website and their malicious ads/scripts.

Isn’t it still a problem?

9 Likes

I stopped going to WoWWiki because of all the ads and malware on its site… >.<

3 Likes

fandom just has too many distracting ads and sometimes loads pretty slow…I kinda like the current wowpedia, merging with the other site will just make things weird

And every single article having an obnoxious automatically playing video.

I just hope someone is working on some way to back up these Gamepedia sites somehow.

2 Likes

it’d be nice if all of us here tried to pitch in XD

Between all of the ads, videos, and poor quality of content and moderation on WoWWiki I’ve only used Wopedia for sometime now. It’s really disheartening to hear about this and I hope with all my heart that this does not mark the end of Gamepedia and Wowpedia, but rather that we get rid of Fandom’s crap wikis.

1 Like

This, pretty much. It absolutely trashes any browser you open it up with and is awful to attempt to read on your phone. Even with add-blockers. I’m not looking forward to this change at all.

Mostly what I grieve is the potential severe loss of years and years worth of vital lore-information.

5 Likes

I use WoWpedia frequently and respect what they’ve done for the WoW community - I used to use Wowwiki, too, and I do -not- respect their service.

Back during the Wotlk days, the last time I used that site, it got a virus onto my PC and trashed it. Thanks to Wowwiki, and Fandom in turn, I had to do a complete reformat and hope to god my account wasn’t lost in the process of reinstalling -everything-.

If the WoWpedia staff is getting creative control over their own site and has control over advertisements, fine, but if Fandom gets -any- say in advertising? I’m out. Done. Not interested.

Fandom’s advertising is about as trustworthy as WoWheads - they don’t care about being a service. They care about squeezing any and all advertisements that can get their grubby mitts on into a browser, without -any- concern for anything other than their own wallets.

6 Likes

I’ve been not only editing and fixing pages, but also creating my own characters’ back stories on WoWWiki and Wowpedia for at least ten years now, and this is probably the worst news I’ve heard. WoWWiki never had any problems until mid-WoTLK, when advertisements started showing up everywhere and the page editing layout became too bloated. I noticed viruses would show up on my computer while using it around that time, and that’s what convinced me to ditch it and head to the newer Wowpedia.

Nowadays, I’ll check from time to time just to see the differences and they are night and day. WoWWiki takes longer to load, is filled with nonsense on every page that is distracting from the information, and is just an overall inferior layout.

I hate to say that even after all of this time, I might be thinking about taking all of my character stories and saving them to post elsewhere from now on. Having it as a medium for this purpose has been so convenient all these years, but there comes a point where it’s just not worth it anymore.

Best wishes for an easy merger that keeps as much of the Wowpedia format as possible.

3 Likes

I like the ads that cover the screen that either have the x off screen or have a tiny barely visible x that human fingers can’t hit without accidentally hitting the ad at least once.

7 Likes

To quote my man Treebeard

There is no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men for this treachery.

8 Likes

I hope this means we won’t be seeing those cursed forced videos at the top of every damn page, that then follow you and force you to reclose them. (every tho every wiki with them seems to absolute despise them)

Kinda wary of this news, don’t think I’m really happy to hear it.

2 Likes

Personally I think this is a terrible idea and I expect wowpedia to end up as an absolute dumpster fire of a mess after everything is said and done.

That said, I would be very pleased to be proven wrong. But I’m an editor on the Naruto Wiki and we’ve been having to tank the stupidest decisions of Wikia for years so…yeah not looking forward to this.

2 Likes

I’m pessimistic, but we’ll see how it goes, I suppose. At least the staff seems intent on doing their best to ensure it proceeds appropriately as they can manage.

Same. Look forward to keylogger and virus’ in ads again.

1 Like

This is very unfortunate, or I suppose it has the potential to be anyway. I’m surprised this isn’t bigger news and is just tucked away here in the story forum.

1 Like

That it’s about time they merged.

I wonder when wowhead will buy out wowwiki now.

While I have used both sites, I aspire to be a lore nerd.

Many people who play probably have no idea or care.

I use those sites to double check my memory. To learn. To expand my knowledge of the fantasy world I play in.

It makes sense the posters in the Story Forum might pay more attention to this then GD.

2 Likes