The Future of Wowpedia

From the lamentations, it sounds like it is all done but the doing.

I wish you folk well. May objectivity and truth rule the day! (aside from profit, of course)

I’m old enough to remember the Great Schism that led to Wowpedia’s creation. I went over to Wowpedia at the get go and never regretted my decision. I checked WoWwiki not too long ago, and that site is complete garbage. Bare bones pages, horrible layout, etc. The fact that the much superior Wowpedia is going to be subsumed by that place is pretty depressing. My only hope is that somehow, someway, the Wowpedia people can prevent that from happening.

16 Likes

I found an article on WoWWiki that was copy and pasted from WoWpedia. Not copied and adapted, just a lazy copy and paste. They had all the same “citations” but nothing was linked. It was a [3] behind a sentence that you couldn’t click on. And I overall hate all wikia sites. Just a hot mess. They have the web design principles of a teenager from 2007. I’m hoping for another fork.

19 Likes

I’m willing to put up with it if the wiki’s are converted to wowpedia’s format. I understand why wiki has ads, but can they be less obnoxious? Also remove the malware.

1 Like

Wowpedia: Up to date unbiased WOW lore information.
Wowwiki: Up to date viruses, keyloggers, and video ad spam.

19 Likes

For those believing that the wreck that is WoWWiki is extending an olive branch, I point you to this post, which he will likely delete in due course: https://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:385777

Nice to see you haven’t changed your colors, Fandyllic.

13 Likes

I’m not pleased with this too, just so you know.

1 Like

Oh that’s promising.

9 Likes

This is disappointing. I use WoWpedia a lot and I really hope the website doesn’t get screwed over. I desperately do not want viruses on there. If that happens I might actually play WoW less because of it. I’m hoping there’s a positive outcome to this.

Call me naive, but it might lead to a different grassroots, organic system that grows and has various contributors. Or it might lead to people coming here for story questions and getting 100s of contradictory posts and arguments.

While money rules the world, it is not the be all and end all. It seems as if the owners of Gamepedia either were done or wanted cash - but perhaps it was a hostile take over.

Either way, good is possible. All is not lost.

Maybe WoW will make an ingame database - though partnering with a company like Fandom might be more profitable.

1 Like

If Wowpedia is forced to merge with WoWWiki I will not contribute to it. The Fandom / Wikia platform is worse than its ever been, and it was bad enough eight years ago to force the fork into Wowpedia.

Now seeing that Fandyllic is still behaving the way he did eight years ago pretty much cements my feelings about WoWWiki and Fandom in general.

I sincerely hope that an alternative host can be found, because I really don’t want to see Wowpedia go down the drain after nearly a decade of collaborative editing.

10 Likes

Yeah. His behaviour in that one linked post definitely didn’t give me much faith that this merge would benefit us in any fashion either. Sigh. I’ll miss WoWpedia, if this goes through.

7 Likes

Yeah. A gloating thumb-to-the-eye isn’t exactly conducive to a smooth transition.

7 Likes

Wowpedia > Fandom 1000x!!!

1 Like

This was done by Twitch actually. They sold Curse Media (whom Wowpedia and MMO-Champion are a part of) to Fandom.

1 Like

Worst news I’ve heard today… can’t stand Fandom for gaming wikis.

6 Likes

Probably because they are the staff that’s considered redundant and will be let go. When you are merging two sites that cover the same material, you don’t need two sets of editors.

Sarcasm incoming

Damn it Sylvannas! I told you, burning down Teldrassil was enough. You didn’t need to start burning down things we, the players, love to truly extinguish hope and joy!

1 Like

you… don’t know much about wikis, do you

1 Like

You don’t think they genuinely view Wikia as an inferior site to Gampedia?