The Future of Allied Races

(Very light 8.2 spoilers, beware)

Despite the reputation grinds associated with the brand new allied races, I really love the idea that instead of adding new races that probably wouldn’t make sense lore wise, we are receiving ‘subraces’ of the existing races we know and love.
I would love to see Blizzard continue to add to these in the future, including new expansions. Of course, they shouldn’t continue tying them to rep farming. I’ve had some ideas for a few of the races, at least one for each, and I’d like to hear people thoughts. These are some of the ideas I’ve come up with.

1. Bloodfang, Nightbane and Bloodmoon Worgen. We could have a scenario where we revisit Gilneas and somehow convince the various Worgen tribes to join the alliance, to stop their raiding and give a general safe environment for the Worgen. This could open up a revamped Gilneas City as a faction city for the worgen.
  2. Hobgoblins and Gilgoblins. Gilgoblins would make more sense here to tie into the story of patch 8.2. Who better to recruit into the ranks of the horde than the goblins who live in the same general area as the patch 8.2 zone? They could have a faction town open up via portal in the new zone.
  3. Mechagnomes!! I’ve never really played a gnome whatsoever, but if Mechagnomes became a playable Allied Race, I’d certainly become interested. They could have some sort of unique mechanical mount for their mount.
  4. The Valkyr. This could be a really interesting subrace that wouldn’t need a mount to fly, similar to druids. I couldn’t see Blizzard being able to implement this yet, so an alternate idea could be the Scourge. With an undead giraffe mount because why not.

Let me hear your ideas, I’ve wanted sub races for ages, and I’m sure many other people have, so I’m excited about the future of this.

San’layn, though I explain in depth here: San’layn/vampyr elf Customization (and Allied Race idea) Coagulated Megathread {Re-VAMPed}, I will give a TLDR;

1. They could bring a neat vampyr theme that can continue to be explored in this expansion, which is a curse that got expanded upon in the Stormheim quest but lore that we have yet to delve deeper into.
  2. They would be undead elves people have been asking for with a very unique theme and could easily be made to look much more monstrous (Fangs, every tooth sharp like goblins but with pronounced fangs, bat-like ears, torn ears, black or red eyes)
  3. They CAN be several classes, as seen in ICC and Borean Tundra, therefore that bit wouldn’t be a problem. And no, they’re ‘not just Blood Death Knights’, which is debunked heavily in my thread and has been several times.

Keep in mind, this is what I personally would love to see. I get that not everyone wants it, and I’m not begging for them before anything else. But please be civil, these are just my thoughts.

5 Likes

There are probably less val’kyr than there are void elves and they’re all female, they won’t be playable, and them having flight as a racial ability would be inherently superior to what worgen got on top of being game-breaking if it’s a built-in Travel Form or Zen Flight. Plus, you can play as one already if you’re a priest with a certain glyph, and if they were playable they would only have about a whopping three classes (warrior, paladin and priest).

1 Like

That is an amazing idea! Much better than the Valkyr, as Toramu pointed out. I’d love to see this in game. I’ll take a read of the megathread at some point, but before reading I would like to say it would be cool if they had a high cooldown ability that lulls the enemy into sleep, allowing you to drain their blood a little, damaging them and healing you a small amount. But can these guys deal with sunlight?

3 Likes

The only one mentioned so far that I would definatly roll and lvl are the ones from the new naga zone. Cant think of their name, but they look pretty cool. Vulpera, junker gnomes and sethrak are more likely though and none of those interest me at all.

Edit: unless blizz lets us have tuskarr then thats what I would pick hands down, because those loveable little walrus people are obviously the most superior race in wow.

Yep, there’s no sunlight weakness for WoW vampyr that we’ve ever seen. Glad you like the idea!

I am not knocking these ideas, I just don’t understand the draw of the allied races.

I unlocked the 3 horde ones because I could and wanted to see what all the teeth gnashing and fuss about reputation was.

Now I have an Orc, Tauren and Elf variant and beyond their mounts and slightly different appearances are no more or less fun than their predecessors.

OGRES! No rest until the true horde’s final brethren has returned!

2 Likes

Dark Rangers.

Naga maybe?

I hope allied races don’t go beyond BfA. They’re fine as a feature of this xpac but I would rather have new races that come with a new skeleton and a new starting zone.

1 Like

The Vulpera are definitely going to be allied races. They’re more fleshed out that some current races in regards to rigging and whatnot. They spent a lot of money animating them.

All good

But they’re so pretty!

Ye if they wanted ogres they would have fitted in better in older expansions :stuck_out_tongue: but I’d like that too

How would you use pants and boots on a Naga? :stuck_out_tongue:

It is cheaper for them to recycle xD requires less resources and staff to create a whole new skeleton and rigging.

I will give you that. My kids love them. They almost refuse to play their own account because they don’t have them yet.

1 Like

I’m also a sucker for mounts. Grinding a few of these reps drop paragon reward mounts anyway, so doing that anyway gives that mount, plus the one for the allied race. Also with the new zone scaling, I can have the benefit of really enjoying the old zone quest content and story like I never have before start to finish with the new allied races start to finish without outleveling the zone.

1 Like

They can wear a tailkilt :slight_smile:

I mean, they could, but there are 2 more problems presented.

1. How would they mount?

2. They would have to be put on the Horde. It wouldn’t make sense lorewise to include them as Alliance or Neutral like the Pandaren. They are hated by the Night Elves and the Dranei. Imagine the millions of Alliance players that would outrage over that fact.

Simply put, there are too many potholes that would be presented, and either way, the Naga would never make sense as a playable race in WoW.

While I am just making this up on the fly, they could have a mount the caters to their anatomy. Chariots and sleds, either pulled or pushed by a magical force, is one example. They could also have a distwnce bending teleport.

As to the faction side, I didnt put as much thought into that.

1 Like

As soon as the Queen of Blades attacks and both Raynor and Artanis crash-land …youll be rolling Raynor’s Raiders for Horde (humans) and Artanis’s Dragoons for Alliance (Protoss)

1 Like