The faction imbalance is going to strangle this game

No, not conceptually, however they are going to care when their group finder is dead and there are no guilds to play with or players to recruit.

This problem exerts downward pressure, at first it’s just the top 100 guilds, then its the top 1000; eventually heroic guilds start feeling the pressure and the group finder is a ghost town.

There is a chasm of difference between taking part in competitive mythic raiding, and not caring that you can’t find a heroic pug, or a mythic plus group over 15.

4 Likes

Not if they’re not trying to get into the content…since I pretty specifically said…

If you’re saying that endgame raiders predominantly going - or remaining - Horde will affect LFR/LFD then I think you’re mistaken.

Your saying if someone plays alliance they should just be happy about not doing end game content. Your literally said they should just play for no reason.

2 Likes

I said no such thing. I laid out the few things I think Blizzard should do to allow for the Alliance players who want to that content to do so more easily. I said Alliance players who don’t do that content wouldn’t care. I never said Alliance players who want to push content should be happy about not being able to. Anywhere…ever.

1 Like

The only real reason I haven’t changed most of my characters to Horde is because of my guild.

There isn’t anything on the Alliance side that can’t be done more easily on Horde, and it’s not because selecting a Horde avatar somehow makes people better at the game. It’s because more of the people who want to play the game at a level beyond group finder are going to roll a Horde character. Those top 100 Horde guilds who fill up the mythic raid tier months before Alliance is even halfway towards filling their own rankings? They’d be just as good at the game if they rolled Alliance. They aren’t going to do that, though, because all of the other people they want to play with are on Horde.

That in and of itself is enough to cause a snowball effect that has been growing for many years, because higher level players will attract other higher level players and on and on it goes.

The only way to get enough Horde players to switch would be if Alliance got a massive power bonus that put them head and shoulders over Horde. Not only is that never going to happen, but it would just cause the same problem in reverse.

The solution to all of this, of course, is to let people do content cross-faction. Blizzard is just being stubborn and childish about it because they have a personal attachment to the current setup. It is very disappointing watching a supposedly professional company disregard their customers because they can’t distinguish the RP in their heads from an intelligent business decision.

7 Likes

Yup and guess what happens to companies that refuse to change based on feelings. Bye bye Blizzard.

2 Likes

No, not conceptually, however they are going to care when their group finder is dead and there are no guilds to play with or players to recruit.

This problem exerts downward pressure, at first it’s just the top 100 guilds, then its the top 1000; eventually heroic guilds start feeling the pressure and the group finder is a ghost town.

There is a chasm of difference between taking part in competitive mythic raiding, and not caring that you can’t find a heroic pug, or a mythic plus group over 15.

This is the song of my people.

2 Likes

Do you have metrics on the number of people who want to see the end of factions (no matter how you spin it, cross-faction gameplay ends the faction divide) vs those who don’t?

The factions are not purely defined by their inability to play with one another, this disregards all of the story-lines in the game. The factions changing to mean something new, does not mean the “end of factions”.

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m keeping it to myself, and I’m telling you it’s the right thing to do. You can’t prove otherwise unless you also secretly have metrics showing the opposite is true.

2 Likes

I’m telling you it’s not…so…we’re even? You want that paradigm changed and I don’t.

Simple marketing. Not to mention the fact that Blizzard game is no where near the actual true lore of the books as it is. They have already killed off their own notions of factions how many times have alliance and horde fought as one against a common enemy. Since oh I don’t know Wrath maybe!!! You want story go read a book

1 Like

No thanks, story is part of the game from my perspective. I completely get that you don’t care about it but I do. So again, you want something to change that I don’t want to be changed. It’s really that simple.

Okay than you want story? Than make it exactly as it is in the books. Horde get Annihilated in the books. In fact horde lose everything every time in every book. The story in the game you so love isn’t even the actual real story line.

1 Like

Contrary opinions! My only weakness… how did you know??

In all seriousness, in my estimation it’s logical that the imbalance will continue to grow for the reasons I’ve stated above. If the goal is to solve this imbalance without causing another in the opposite direction then factions should go away at least in regards to doing content.

If preserving the RP side of Horde customers never playing with Alliance customers is more important then we will just have to accept the continued decline of Alliance as a viable choice for most types of content until it reaches its inevitable conclusion. That only seems to extend to players, though, since Horde and Alliance NPCs seem perfectly capable of working together and even communicating when all I ever hear an Orc say is “zug zug.”

3 Likes

The Alliance continuing to deteriorate in the way that it is, is a bad thing, and it isn’t going to be changed by anything other than intervention on Blizzard’s part. This is a problem that is accelerating, it’s getting worse, and will continue to do so.

Like I’ve said, I’m gone, I’m going back to Horde and unless they allow cross faction game play, I’m never going to play Alliance again; I know many players are in the same boat.

In terms of my subjective game play experience, this issue isn’t going to affect me anymore in the short term.

It is obtuse and childish to suggest that if this problem continues however, that it will not have significant consequences for the health of the game overall; when there is an unspoken understanding that 1 of the available 2 factions isn’t actually a real option if you wan’t to do any of the content the game is built around, that is a bad state for the game to be in.

Also, it’s a horrible experience for those Alliance players. With that said I don’t actually expect any of you to care about those people, or anyone for that matter, you’ve made that much clear.

People very quickly reveal how deep into their own RP fantasy they’ve drifted, and how distant they’ve become from an understanding that other people are behind the keyboards controlling the characters you play with and against.

It’s a game. A game being played by other human beings, not orcs, and elves.

5 Likes

Sorry, but the game’s lore trumps the books. The game came first (well, RPG>WC1,2,3>WoW) and the books are companion pieces, nothing more.

And yes, I want the faction divide, the faction war, back to being front and center. Alliances of convenience against Existential Threat #42 are just that.

+1

1 Like

I’m going Horde soon, 8.3 most likely.

There was a time where both factions were pretty cool in their own right, you had a reason to really be pumped for Alliance or Horde.

Though ever since I wanna say Cataclysm, that’s just slowly went down hill, and it’s only gotten worse.

6 Likes

Or, what steps can be taken without changing that paradigm or creating a revolving door by dropping OP racials on the Alliance until the pendulum swings wildly the other way again (like more than a few people acknowledge was the situation for years) should be taken.

By all means take steps to make it easier for those Alliance players who want to group for that content but can’t because they are in pockets of servers. Allow cross-server guilds. Eliminate the ridiculous delay on cross-server raiding. Re-work clustering. All steps Blizzard can, and in my opinion, should take long before more drastic options hit the table.

It’s possible that would be enough to get people who genuinely want to play Alliance today but feel they can’t to take another look at it. They are also steps that can be taken without people like me pushing back on things like dissolving the factions.

2 Likes