The faction imbalance is going to strangle this game

Theres no water in this well bud, I would just stop engaging. His responses to the merc mode comparison were a fairly illuminating example.

1 Like

Best not to say things which mirror yourself.
At that point, you’re just bad mouthing people who disagree with you.
:man_shrugging:

I just don’t care dude.

Cool story bro.

The factions have never been balanced since 2004. The imbalance isnt going to suddenly destroy the game in 2019 or anytime soon.

1 Like

That’s not actually true. He does believe that the participation imbalance is a problem and they need to work on it. You can check out what he says in the Forbes interview, but I’ll copypasta it for you anyway:

“The challenge is also we’re not looking to encourage mass amounts of faction migration. It’s more, how can we build a healthier high-end Mythic Plus scene, or a healthier high-end raid scene on the Alliance side, among the Alliance population”.

The article also notes that he says the population is relatively balanced between Alliance and Horde. So it’s not a faction imbalance. It’s a participation imbalance. Having mass amounts of Horde transfer over to Alliance will create an actual faction imbalance.

3 Likes

You mean like when they enticed Alliance players to migrate to the horde? Or did you skip that part?
The problem is that they are trying to use a different solution this time and wondering why the results are different.
You just don’t want the horde to be on even ground. I get it, welfare dialed up to 11 for you guys so our high end players and guilds reroll horde, life is better for you.

P.S. it isn’t “the Forbes interview”. If you would have looked, there are several such interviews.

9 Likes

I never said anything about previous migrations. I commented on the state of the game right now. So that’s irrelevant to my comment.

I do agree that there is a problem, on that we seem to agree.

Also, please don’t put words in my mouth. I do a great job of making myself look stupid on a regular basis, I don’t need extra help. :stuck_out_tongue: You are welcome to browse my posting history though, I am an avid supporter of cross-faction grouping. I want everyone to have an equal chance.

Oh, and it is the Forbes interview. My source was from Forbes, specifically from an interview with Heather Newman (the senior games and tech contributor for Forbes). I can give the link if you’d like.

1 Like

No, I’m saying that there are SEVERAL Forbes interviews with Ion. Check em out.
And apologies, i didn’t mean to put words in your mouth.
The reason that past migration IS relevant is because if it didn’t happen (or happened to a lesser degree) we wouldn’t have this problem.
Cross faction would likely kill the game. I do believe it would be interesting to be able for all races to be able to choose their faction though.

2 Likes

Oh, I agree, there were definitely mistakes in the past that led up to where we are now, no doubt. I’m just saying it wasn’t part of what I was addressing.

I should have said a Forbes interview instead of “the”. My apologies.

I don’t know about cross-faction grouping killing the game. Getting rid of factions might, but just being able to PvE group with any faction (for instances only) would be healthy for the game. Separating half the PvE population from the other is NOT helpful for recruitment.

That’s obviously just my own opinion.

/salute

2 Likes

Wasn’t trying to be nit picky, just wanted to make sure that anyone reading knows there are several (six?) such interviews. Well worth the read, too.
As for cross faction, it’s like merc mode. Why are they doing it? The game itself is trying to tell everyone there is a faction problem (think how long the horde queue would be without it!) but devs are trying to alleviate horde wait time in lieu of actually addressing the problem, like they did when the horde needed help.
The Alliance did not have a participation problem before our talented players and guilds were actively enticed to reroll horde.

/salute

3 Likes

You know I’m not trying to say that WoW is a republic. My POINT is to ask if you would trust a government if only the opposing party was represented? Even if they tried, would you trust or believe that they have your best interests at heart?
Simple question, man.

1 Like

The imbalance is not one of raw players, although with respect to that there is an imbalance in Hordes favor. The current player imbalance wouldn’t come close to having the impact it currently does if it were only a max of 6-7% difference, the huge difference is in the number of active players taking part in end game content. In this metric, there is a massive gap between Horde and Alliance.

Take a look at the screen shots in the OP, the video is pretty good too.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s basically what I’ve been saying. It’s a participation imbalance. Horde and Alliance numbers are at less than a 5% difference, well last time I checked anyway. This is why, well in my opinion anyway, we really need to have cross-faction PvE content. It’s really dumb to separate half the player base from the other when it comes to recruitment pools.

3 Likes

The faction divide was an interesting story and gameplay element when the game came out and the end game content functioned differently. Now the game is at an age and in a state where the faction divide is causing a real problem, one which will only get worse, and one that can be totally solved by allowing cross faction gameplay.

This will totally resolve this issue and ensure it never happens again, on top of significantly increasing the quality and size of the community by a huge factor.

2 Likes

You obviously haven’t checked recently because it’s significantly more than 5% at max level that isn’t how percents even work when comparing populations. That’s like say that one army only has a 5% gap but when the total base is one million that means the other army has 60,000 more troops gee I wonder which side will win. The one with 530k troops or the one with 470k lol

My numbers are from what Ion said in a semi-recent interview. Where are your numbers from? Because world of graphs shows a population of 120s at 40% Alliance and 46% Horde (globally at 46.4% Alliance and 45.1% Horde). That is definitely not “significantly more than 5%” unless your definition of that is way different than mine, lol. I’m not sure how accurate that site is though.

Oh, and raw numbers when talking about armies isn’t always going to determine the winner. History has proven that time and time again.

1 Like

I can give you a few that are better than 53:47 in regards to the playerbase:
FFXIV
TERA
Trove

Why are these more balanced? Because the population divide that is plaguing WoW doesn’t exist in these games. The hard-line faction divide present in WoW is an outdated concept that has outlived it’s usefulness, and that is now in fact a detriment to the game. At the very least, individuals should be able to choose who they team up with out in the world, even if the faction lines are still there for story purposes

3 Likes

My thoughts are:

1 Like

Well sure, a game with no factions whatsoever isn’t going to have a faction imbalance.

1 Like