The experience boost

so this really gets me when you think about classic wow you think hardcore old school and grindy erning your way every step feeling accomplished but boosting just goes against the spirit of all that

so as fans why did we accept this and why is there no out rage? does it have to come to come out of the mouth of a streamer before its recognized as a problem?

4 Likes

As much as I like leveling characters you and I both in the minority and I’m cool with that. People have kids, jobs, etc and don’t wanna level a character for the 20th time. Faster leveling is better on SoM anyhow with the 12 month cycle.

2 Likes

i get it but then the question then becomes why do we have multiple versions of the game if they are all going to have the same philosophy of give me everything now…i’m just so disappointed

5 Likes

What does one thing have to do with the other?

I completely agree with you. Welcome to the discussion… I’ve been advocating for NO exp boost and a longer cadence (3 years) for about 5 months now. It is ALWAYS a mistake to increase XP beyond the original x1 leveling.

Frankly I just wanted a Fresh. Period. I don’t want or need any of these changes and I’ve posted as much here:
Dual Talent, and Thanks for SoM - In Development / WoW Classic Season of Mastery Beta - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

I really feel for you. I kind of realized that it’s not going to happen. I see all the different opinions and ‘demands’ from the community at large and it’s just an impossible task to please everyone. There are so many options and directions that this Fresh COULD have gone and personally I feel it’s an Opportunity Cost decision on my part. The company for all their flaws did some good decisions… and we are getting some kind of game to play. I feel like I have to choose my battles and over all this will be a fun year for SoM.

If you decide to play. Look me up on Alliance Barman Shanker (PvP) ~ probably

**Edit after the polls are out it’s a toss up between Barman and Mutinus. I want to go where there is a lot of Horde

*** Edit Edit! IT’S DECIDED WE’RE GOING Mutanus! (bring more Horde! lets keep it balanced)

5 Likes

I think this is a non-issue.

Mage boosting has been nullified, the only avenue of leveling is quests or grinding/dungeons. Leveling slightly faster just means you have to grind less before getting to max level, I don’t believe it constitutes skipping content or missing out. If a quest gave you 3 bars of exp it’s going to give you 4 bars instead. It’s slightly accelerated leveling, not deleting the content.

I only play vanilla wow I don’t play retail, I don’t feel outraged by this exp change. I would have a huge problem with a boost to 60 or 2x the exp. This change is negligible you will barely feel it.

2 Likes

The 1 year life span makes this ok imo. Everything’s a little quicker but mobs still hit just as hard and are still grouped up in claustrophobic clusters throughout the world.

40% QUEST xp, not MOB xp. If you think you will be zooming you are in for a shocker. Overall it will pan out to maybe a top cap of 15% faster leveling.

Meanwhile Dungeon spamming will remain the same speed with the occasional dungeon quests. Since I play healer from 10-60 this will always be my avenue of leveling in classic.

did you settle on a server yet? Where are the good polls?

Changing the exp rates was one of the examples that blizz hates/ignores vanilla community.
Enjoy bots and gold sellers in SoM too cause they are paid accounts

You have no idea how insubstantial the 40% quest xp bonus is.

I played the Beta and got to lvl 41. It’s a very very small XP boost and makes a ton of sense with the 12 month cadence of SoM. I love leveling too (got 4 60s in classic), but this is not a bad change to be honest. This coupled with no mage boosting is a good idea to keep people motivated to level.

1 Like

Accept it or not, what’s there to do?

I’m not a big fan of questing, in general, but this seems to be designed to incentivize people to spend more time questing, and less time playing together, grouped in Dungeons, so I suspect it will just make it harder to find dungeon groups while leveling.

There isn’t much that can be done. The retail crowd and people that played Vanilla once that cry about any minor inconvenience will drown out anyone who opposes their idea of how SoM should go.

Your best be is to advocate for a Classic fresh rerelease with the changes that they have made to “Classic Forever” servers. SoM is going down a rabbit hole. By the time "Season of _______ " gets released, there will be so many changes that it will be indistinguishable to Retail.

1 Like

WotLK Classic will be out before another SoM is released. This is just a holdover to grab publicity and attention at this time when competition is being released.

quest xp was always bad anyway… it just keeps your brain interested in killing stuff, which if you did without running back and forth to NPC actually was more xp/hour

this is w/e… more people outside to pvp with, and a small amount of xp for running around for no reason… who cares? /shrug

I was actually hoping they would offer some kind of experience toggle that allowed me to turn on/off exp gain in SOM. I would have loved to level together with friends and go for 100% at-level quest completion.

This change is literally nothing compared to megaservers and layering. The nochanges crowd should have fought harder.

getting to 60 without dying is a high accomplishment whether it’s with vanilla exp rates or 40% more. it’s just a complete non-issue.

the too ideas just dont work well its like hey im hardcore guys well ok not really but i’m 60% hardcore! /flex