The elusive "social" wow player

Hello,

Left WoW pre-BC and just came back for Shadowlands and this is not the same vibe. When I played in the vanilla days Ventrilo chat was bustling like a market square, everyone knew each other, friends, families, jobs and whats going on in each others real life - WoW was so much more social.

I have literally sat in a 25 man discord rooms and barely a word spoken, I understand WoW isn’t for the social kind but do people not have basic social skills?

So I’m starting a community around VOCAL, TALKATIVE and SOCIAL players who want to hop on, do some mythics, learn together and grow as a community. I just got into Mythics and am running +6 -7’s but I am more then willing to go down and help gear each other up together. If you want to push +20’s and your worried about your IO score, probably not the community for you.

Second is structure and timing, in order for it to be a social experience we need everyone on around the same time and chatting so you should be based
US EAST COAST 8PM - 12AM roughly until we get the numbers and can organize more groups and possibly raids in the future.

I will do my best to be on discord every evening 8-9PM EST as my commitment to building this community once we get the numbers we can push some basic dungeons and build out a solid raid group if it gets to that point.

You don’t have to be 30+ but like everything in life older more mature players are more confident socially, are not as competitive and have abit more patience.

Feel free to pm me in-game via the my bnet tag and I can send you discord details. Even if your not at the raiding part of the game, hop on, maybe we can help you gear up and just come out and chat see where it leads.

bnet tag Hexima#1459

4 Likes

I understand what you’re getting at here, but man are you underestimating and stigmatizing the wow community, when really what you’re experiencing is gamer culture as a whole right now.

Coming out of the gate swinging…

…Then doubling down on your punches isn’t a great way to build a community.

If you’re trying to build a good community space, might I suggest first creating a community in game and advertising it here:

-followed by advertising and building your discord server from there. I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but from the tone of your post, I don’t think you’re quite in the right place for it here.

2 Likes

I’ve been on Discord servers with a lot talk and not much at all. I’m taklative and social, but I primarily play with my husband, and he’s just across the room, no need to have Discord for that. Before we lived together (more than 7 years now), we were on Vent (or insert whatever flavor of the day voice chat here) ALL the time.

I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but as Zipster said, you might want to go about it a different way. You might also want to look into pug communities that already exist.

1 Like

Play on a RP realm, there are people that use WoW Strictly as a chat room in game.

Every time I join a casual guild’s heroic run. They’re constantly talking in discord, calling people by their actual names, talking about work, etc. so no, I have no idea what you’re talking about, social guilds totally still exist, just you haven’t been looking in the right places I guess.

In my experience over the years, ‘social’ guilds on a voice chat program are usually dominated by one or two individuals, with few others getting much of a chance to chime in, do the nature of said voice chats throttling who can realistically talk at once.

Then it just becomes that person’s ‘show’ as they yammer on endlessly with a clear lack of ‘social skills’ as you put it.

More recently I’ve noticed a reservation from people to talk as the community appears to be adapting to this new format with more getting on them (primarily Discord tbh), which results in less chatter. Add this to the fact that most people got on these systems as part of a raid guild requirement, which further deters extra chatter, and you have a conditioning that has taken place to the populace.

Back in the day as you are referring to, I by large noticed substantially less individuals with social skills, as the WoW populace was younger then on average. Now most are older and don’t tend to endlessly babble unless it’s drinking night.

It was so bad back then I ended up making a no-voicechat raid guild that was extremely successful that ran for 5 years before we all retired together.

Thought about doing it again after I came back in Legion, but as I’m trying to convey to you, people tend to be more considerate on the mic these days and less prone to endless and mindless babble with exceptions to usually newer/returning players to be honest who are coming here for a social engagement specifically.